Going LED to T5. Grass is greener on the other side?

Going LED to T5. Grass is greener on the other side?

T5 + LED is the way to go.

IMO the major downside to T5s is the bulb changes. I like using LEDs as the main light, and t5s as supplemental. That way you don't need to run t5s all day, and it keeps heat and bulb changes to a minimum. I change 2 of my 6 t5 bulbs about every 8 months, but they only run about 6 hours a day at the most.

The t5s mainly help with coverage, but an argument could be made that it helps fill in what the LEDs lack in spectrum. The t5s will prevent you from needing to add more LEDs down the road like what Jason was saying earlier. The reflectors on the t5s are much larger, which allows them to fill in any shadows cast by the LEDs.

With your tank you could run kessils/hydras/radions down the middle of your tank, and run a 2 or 4 bulb retrofit on the sides. I've been doing this on my tanks for the past 4 years and I have had pretty good results with SPS.

ok reefers, tell me what you think about this:
Place 2 Kessil A360Ws and a dimmable 24" or 36" ATI light in between them. The tank is 48x24.

I'm not big on DIY projects. If I hadn't already bought Kessils I would just get an ATI Powermodule. My second preference is ATI Sunpower and reefbrite combo.

I've been researching ways to add t5s into my own system and there are pretty much 3 options.

Hamilton makes a retro that you pretty much just have to mount. Comes in a slim version also. Couldn't find any reviews on performance.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/hamilton-aruba-sun-v-series-t5-ho-fluorescent-retrofit-with-leds.html

These are the ones I'm highly considering from Giesemann.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/razor-t5-retro-kit-giesemann.html

Thanks for the links :)

ok reefers, tell me what you think about this:
Place 2 Kessil A360Ws and a dimmable 24" or 36" ATI light in between them. The tank is 48x24.

I think if you put the Kessils outside the ATI, you will need to angle them a little toward the center. (a little hard to do if you want to keep it clean) If you get the 36" ATI, you have 6" on both sides left. The kessil itself is 4. the 24" gives you more room, but I personally don't like the coverage.. SPS center and LPS sides?

I tried different ways to put Kessil around my ATI but it just didn't look good.

My reefbrites should be here Monday night. I'll let you know how that looks

Last edited:
I think if you put the Kessils outside the ATI, you will need to angle them a little toward the center. (a little hard to do if you want to keep it clean) If you get the 36" ATI, you have 6" on both sides left. The kessil itself is 4. the 24" gives you more room, but I personally don't like the coverage.. SPS center and LPS sides?

I tried different ways to put Kessil around my ATI but it just didn't look good.

My reefbrites should be here Monday night. I'll let you know how that looks

Yeah my tank is eurobraced. I can place each gooseneck in the corner in a slightly diagonal position to point the light towards the middle. SPS in the middle and LPS/easy SPS on sides is the plan so far. Looking forward to hearing from you about reefbrites. Thanks.

I have a dimmable sunpower and this is not the case. My channel times are stored, only thing it loses is the current time and maybe date. If unit is off for 24+ hours it'll go back to factory defaults

I only lose my clock, which messes up the lighting schedule, but easily noticed. it does not forget the program.

Good to know. Thanks guys and Yeah mine was disconnect for a few days and lost all programming.

Get the dimmable Eric. LOL

I'm not big on DIY projects. If I hadn't already bought Kessils I would just get an ATI Powermodule. My second preference is ATI Sunpower and reefbrite combo.

The t5 retrofit is not hard to do. It's the simplest "DIY" project you could do. Running kessils and a t5 retrofit would be the simplest and cleanest setup IMO. Best bang for your buck

The t5 retrofit is not hard to do. It's the simplest "DIY" project you could do. Running kessils and a t5 retrofit would be the simplest and cleanest setup IMO. Best bang for your buck

Went to Ellis Aquatics yesterday and they said the same thing there. I'll probably need a canopy to do it, right?

Went to Ellis Aquatics yesterday and they said the same thing there. I'll probably need a canopy to do it, right?

T5 + LED is the way to go.

IMO the major downside to T5s is the bulb changes. I like using LEDs as the main light, and t5s as supplemental. That way you don't need to run t5s all day, and it keeps heat and bulb changes to a minimum. I change 2 of my 6 t5 bulbs about every 8 months, but they only run about 6 hours a day at the most.

The t5s mainly help with coverage, but an argument could be made that it helps fill in what the LEDs lack in spectrum. The t5s will prevent you from needing to add more LEDs down the road like what Jason was saying earlier. The reflectors on the t5s are much larger, which allows them to fill in any shadows cast by the LEDs.

With your tank you could run kessils/hydras/radions down the middle of your tank, and run a 2 or 4 bulb retrofit on the sides. I've been doing this on my tanks for the past 4 years and I have had pretty good results with SPS.

Don't listen to me, I said it a week ago. Lol

Yes, canopy would be best

Back