Haddoni carpet questions and a bit of help needed

I would keep an eye on the Pep shrimp, they seem to avoid fully healthy and established Haddonis, but I have seen them pick on new ones/damaged ones.

As for feedings, I just use frozen/thawed krill.

They pepp shrimp checked it out after I first got it but it was so sticky they left it alone. The only thing they seem to attack is my hands if I put em in the tank after the lights go out. For some reason they desire to clean my fingers.

I got them when they were less than a half inch in size and thought for sure they were gonna be fish food but they are over 2 inches long now and love to eat at feeding time.

I though the coal banded would be more of an issue cause mine is a nasty one....attacks anything that comes near his house and is a roamer at night when the lights go off

Will try the frozen krill.....how often do you feed yours?

He is still very sticky....and is eating as of yesterday

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15425923#post15425923 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Toddrtrex
Nice shots Scott.

What type of clam is/was that? My blue one wasn't bothered at all by my T. Crocea,
Squamosa and the clam and anemone ignored each other completely except for shading. The anemone actually spread across the sand to the Scoly and the clam until the 4" tiger cowrie decided to eat the haddoni after lights out :rolleyes: The pinched in area by the clam was the main feeding point of the cowrie and it took at least a week to catch him in the act.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15426061#post15426061 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Toddrtrex
I would keep an eye on the Pep shrimp, they seem to avoid fully healthy and established Haddonis, but I have seen them pick on new ones/damaged ones.
I'd agree shrimp can be a pain and even posit, they'll pester large healthy ones in the over night to a point they retreat over time.

fwiw: I prefer gamma foods lancefish and pe mysis over silversides, fresh shrimp, and krill.

I'd focus on the shrimp in the tank and adapting to lighting unless the anemone expands within 48hrs in the lower flow. Lighting should be easy to test by raising the fixture or adding some diffuser sheets.

I prefer gamma foods lancefish and pe mysis over silversides, fresh shrimp, and krill. I'd focus on the shrimp in the tank and adapting to lighting unless the anemone expands within 48hrs in the lower flow. Lighting should be easy to test by raising the fixture or adding some diffuser sheets.

Gamma foods? sorry thats a new term that I am not familiar with.

Lighting: Wish there was an easy way to raise the fixture higher but current makes the shortest stubbly legs for their fixture that I have ever seen. Someone needs to make an aftermarket set for them that are an inch or two higher then the stock ones

How about cutting back the lighting cycle a bit.....the t-5's run about 10hrs a day and the halides are on for around 8 hrs.
I'm sure my wife would love that idea...she complains constantly about the electric bill.

Shortening the light cycle makes sense if the the anemone reaches full expansion for the first few hours after all lights are on then contracts.

Decreasing the intensity makes sense if the anemone never quite reaches full expansion while the lights are on.

DrF&S used to carry Gamma brand but I have not seen Lancefish on their lists.

I used to have enough tanks to buy here and meet the minimums, but now I find it more efficient to work a group buy or work with a LFS:
http://www.bio-aquatics.com/frozen2.html

Cheers.

I have the day off finally on thurs so I am gonna watch what he does in relation to the lighting and troubleshoot a solution after I see how he reacts if he reacts at all. Will chart his growth/shrinkage hour by hour throughout the day and see what it tells me.

Maybe make a graph :D

I'll call around locally and see if anyone carries their foods

I've never heard of them but am willing to try them.

Thanks so much for the help

Well yesterday morning it looked like the first pic and was back under the rock again.

It spent all day there and then late last night it decided to reopen 4 hrs after the lights went off. Is open today.

I cut the flow in half a few days ago and that didnt make a bit of difference.

I havent seen anything bother it in the least unless its buried in the sand out of sight.

Could it have toxic issues with some type of coral in the tank.

Only reason I could think of that it would open at night while everything else was closed up for the day.

Any thoughts?

Opening at night tends to be a light driven event. Could be water related events as well. Has the coloration of the anemone dropped over this time?

I'd reduce lighting intensity over the anemone, dramatically, and provide it food while open.

I'd be ready to find it a new tank fairly soon.

Colour looks normal..... as good as it ever has

He shrunk late tuesday night after the lights went out and never reopened till late wed night about 4 hrs after the lights went off.

He is eating just fine and is nice and sticky too and the mouth looks like a normal carpet mouth

cut off all the t-5 lights....reduced by a total of 312w

Only thing left is the 150w halide over him at about a 2.5 ft height

will see if it makes any difference

i dont think anyone has answered his question about how to raise his ph. You can use buffer to raise it. Seachem has a product that raises ph to 8.4 .

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15445116#post15445116 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by patriots81
i dont think anyone has answered his question about how to raise his ph. You can use buffer to raise it. Seachem has a product that raises ph to 8.4 .

IMO, the pH of 8.0 is fine, and not causing the issues. Also, using a buffer is a short term fix that, IMO, causes more issues then it solves.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15445064#post15445064 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ynotme4886
3 hrs later and no change at all
3 hrs is not sufficient for a light change, it will likely need 2 full cycles to make any measurable difference.

will run it this way through the weekend and see where we are at than

Hope it helps the problem......at this point anything reasonable is worth a try

As for the PH issues there is only one thing I can think of that is dragging it down.

Tank is in the living room /dining area which is about 12x 25 total.
House is closed up due to heat with the central air running and there are 3 people home during the day that suck up all the living room air.

I work evenings and my wife and 16 month old run around the living room most of the time.

So if I was to guess it would be the air quality that is dragging my ph down to the 8.0 that it sits at.

Only reason I could come up with....maybe yes? or maybe no?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15448772#post15448772 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ynotme4886
As for the PH issues there is only one thing I can think of that is dragging it down.

Tank is in the living room /dining area which is about 12x 25 total.
House is closed up due to heat with the central air running and there are 3 people home during the day that suck up all the living room air.

I work evenings and my wife and 16 month old run around the living room most of the time.

So if I was to guess it would be the air quality that is dragging my ph down to the 8.0 that it sits at.

Only reason I could come up with....maybe yes? or maybe no?

It is very possible that the house being closed up is causing excess CO2, which will drop your pH (( although, your pH isn't all that low )). If you want to be sure take a cup of the tank water outside, swish it around and test its pH. If it goes up, the CO2 is the issue. But, I have read about much bigger drops, so personally I wouldn't do anything about it.

I was just going to leave well enough alone on the ph.

But will try that out just to see what happens.

Am curious if my hypothesis is true....thanks for the idea on how to test it

Ph outside is 8.1.....have a meter to use to test it but its calibrating so will double check my findings with that.

Checked my alk too while I was out there and it is reading a bit higher than it normally would in the house.....no clue if its a coincidence but thought it was interesting nonetheless.

He ate this morning and looks bunchy a few hrs afterwards. Mouth is nice and tight and he looks fluffy if that makes any sense

Back