help building a plywood sump

reeflagoon

i have just put together a 4'6x19"x14" sump\refuge i am in need of help finding out what work for sealing the wood. i went to the depot today and saw one that was called durnham rock hard putty i think it was and then a weldon for wood i didn't get anything since i didn't know what was the right one to get so i am looking for anyone how has built one to let me know what they used thanks

What type of construction? What type of bracing? What is the thickness of the plywood?

The onoy truly acceptable method is to use fiberglass cloth to strengthen and seal the corners and braces, then use epoxy resin (west systems, etc) to wet the cloth and coat the inside of the tank. Several coats will be needed. Some people like to use the NSF certified (potable water) 2-part epoxy paint systems sold by aquaticeco, sherwin williams, etc

You have already built the "sump" but I fear you may not have done the required research to ensure that that the proper construction methods were used.

If you can provide us more details, we can get you headed in the right direction.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14019108#post14019108 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reeflagoon
im using 3\4 true plywood and have just used the liquid nail for the seems

Screws? Other bracing? Etc? There are a lot of details that will dictate if this is a success or a failure.

i have screws going about every 2" and haven't done any blracing since i didn't think i needed it with the wood being 3\4 i would have to say i have the hight at 14" but the water will only be at 11" high going back into the return. please let me know if there is anything else oh by the way i am looking into getting an epoxy tomorrow that is made by Sherwin-Williams.

Back