HELP !!!!display over flowing

is there an air bubble where the venturie line is from the maxi jet? if so, then there could be an algae build up on top of the cpr box which will slow down the drain speed. You should also have grates on the inside of the cpr overflow box covering the drain lines to avoid this happening in the future, If you don't have the original cone shape grates that come with the unit, cut some gutter guard to size and place it over the drain holes.

its doing it again.......will not suck as much as i can pump .Evenwith pump running with valve half closed ....GOD this is frustrating

I have a hang on overflow on my 120. I find that slowly over time some film and hair algae that lines it actually slows down the flow, even when it doesnt look like its that much algae. So now every month I kill the return pump and run a big pipe cleaner throught the U pipe. Havent had a single problem since. I think lack of this type of maintenance is why so many think a Hang on overflow is a bad idea.

These are the things I do to make my CPR overflow work properly.

1. Clean or replace air line tubing. I run a metal coat hanger through mine. Water should flow freely through this line.

2. Use a pipe cleaner to clean where the air line tubing attaches to CPR.

3. Take off mesh grate and clean with brush.

4. Also when doing a water change I place the hose that I'm using in the CPR and get out any debris. If that doesn't work then disconnect CPR, hold upside down over sink and shake. Then fill with vinegar and let soak for an hour, then use a brush to clean any areas that you can reach.:beer:

One trick I use to prevent overflows is a float switch in my display tank. Hook it into the power line for your return pump, so that when the water rises high enough the float switch cuts power to the return pump. Just check to make sure that the float switch can handle the normal current draw from the pump. If it can't, wire in a relay.

With my old tank (U-tubes over the back for siphon draining) the U tubes would gradually clog, slowing but not stopping the drain. I'd hear the return pump cycling on and off because of the float switch and that would be my clue to clean the U tubes.

i bought a AQUA LIFTER PUMP FROM MARINE DEPOT...WAITING FOR IT TO BE SHIPPED...sorry caps were on...does it work better than a maxi jet 1200 for keeping it primed?????

I had that problem with my 45 gallon with a hang on overflow..I ended up going to a LFS and buying another U tube and added it to overflow.cost about $11 but solved problem...i found out my original had a pinhole crack or hole and that was why it kept losing suction.....I used to start siphon by sticking a 1/4 in line in the tube and sucking until i got flow started and then pulled 1/4 line out.... worked for me with a 2nd U-Tube

I had that problem with my 45 gallon with a hang on overflow..I ended up going to a LFS and buying another U tube and added it to overflow.cost about $11 but solved problem...i found out my original had a pinhole crack or hole and that was why it kept losing suction.....I used to start siphon by sticking a 1/4 in line in the tube and sucking until i got flow started and then pulled 1/4 line out.... worked for me with a 2nd U-Tube

mine does not have u tubes its a cpr

You never stated whether or not you removed the drain line and cleaned it, it really didnt sound like you were losing siphon but the drain was just slowing down. Is there a big air pocket in the top of the overflow indicating that the maxi-jet isnt working? If the problem is a slow drain then a new pump isnt going to help out.

I think you will like the aqua lifter . I wouldn't run a CPR without one.
Did you check-out the CPR website?

You never stated whether or not you removed the drain line and cleaned it, it really didnt sound like you were losing siphon but the drain was just slowing down. Is there a big air pocket in the top of the overflow indicating that the maxi-jet isnt working? If the problem is a slow drain then a new pump isnt going to help out.

i just hooked the new drain line up last month....heres the strange thing i took my MJ and jiggled it and now its flowing:debi:i just traded some frags for a bigger over flow box
CPR CS100 800gph,with the new aqua lifterpump i ordered this should work.

Back