Help Mojo choose a light

mojo~

Skimmer Guy
Ok, Now I am good with skimmers and I have had my share of t5 bulbs.

Well today I ordered a new 57 gallon oceanic rimless illuminita tank and stand. Starphire glass ect.

ok I am looking at the following fixtures.
The Hamilton Belize 250w fixture with dual t5s
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...uct_Code=H-A21H2502T5&Category_Code=hreefstar

The Aquamedic spacelight
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...oduct_Code=AM-83500&Category_Code=Aquamedic-H

The ati sunpower
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...ROD&Product_Code=ATI-3003&Category_Code=ATIt5

and the Geisemann nep tune
http://www.marinedepot.com/24_inch_...ighting_Systems-GL1251-FILTFIMHTFDEMT-vi.html

I am leaning toward the hamilton or the giesemann. but would like some input.
Not a good pic but here is the tank

6560_1057456651784_1686917121_10679.jpg

Mojo~

I have no experience with any of these lights, but, I'm personally leaning towards the Belize for the rimless I'm setting up :thumbsup:

You probably can't/won't go wrong with any of those lights

Well, the T5's will run cooler, and I really like the look of the ATI t5 unit.

Of course, there is something about the shimmer of a MH, that makes me keep on spending more money on my electric bill :)

If MH is your decision, I think that Spacelight looks the nicest, but you dont get the LED's for night time like you do with the belize.

Am I correct in seeing you picked 3 that are combined MH and T5, and the ATI is T5 only?
I just ordered an ATI sunpower - I don't want the heat or power consumption of a MH if I can avoid it - they pack their bulbs into a smaller width than some. They also have a good fan which increases light output by lowering the temp - and also a higher end model Powermodule - stainless steel instead of aluminum and double fans.
If you would consider a T5 only, this is probably at the top end. I have had a Sunlight Tek light for a long time - very reliable - but the ATI fits 6 bulbs into a space about the same as the Sunlight 4 bulb fixture.

yea, I thought about all that. being it is a 36 in wide tank I was going to just use a 24 in fixture. I wasnt sure how much heat would be an issue with it open top and only one 250 watt.
I like the t5 as I have a 6 bulb on my tank now. But want a nice looking fixture and still want to be able to get into the tank.
Thanks for the input, keep it coming.

I was looking at one of these the other day but the stand was wrapped in plastic. How is the build quality on the stand?

I have a current outer orbit 2x150whqi 4T5 that i plan on using. I'm planning on rics, zoa's and LPS w/4" sandbed though so I don't need as much lighting as a SPS tank.

I say go with the Sunpower. I have one on my Oceanic 58 and love it. I use to miss the shimmer of mh but don't miss the electric bills or heat issues. Use the money you save for the next skimmer review.

There was a thread on lighting rimless tanks, unfortunately my search doesn't seem to work. Some people were not happy with the quality of the Hamilton Belize. Here is a picture of my Illuminata with a Geisemann (150 watt) Infinity.

86023P1000387.jpg

Gary

I did see that pic and didnt even realize what fixture it was. I think I am going to go that route. I really like that look. same size too 24 in . Thanks for brining that back to my attention. I went through the whole rimless thread even the splits. I didnt read it all but look at all the pics.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15436711#post15436711 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rkaires
I say go with the Sunpower. I have one on my Oceanic 58 and love it. I use to miss the shimmer of mh but don't miss the electric bills or heat issues. Use the money you save for the next skimmer review.
do you have any pics of it. Do you have a 24 in or 36? would really like to see it

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15437347#post15437347 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mojo~
do you have any pics of it. Do you have a 24 in or 36? would really like to see it

Sorry no pictures. I have the 36" Sunpower. In hindsight I should have went with the 24". I had a 24" Powermodule on it and it worked fine.

Back