High ORP (>500) Causing poor SPS polyp extension?

Oldtimer

Hi Folks. First post in this forum. I'm mostly a lurker, but long time reefer - started keeping in the early 90's when a brown digitata was a rare piece of coral in a reef tank. Took a long break and got back into it over the past few years with a much larger and elaborate setup than my earlier days...

A brief overview of my system is as follows:

240 gal Display
450 gal Total System
Established 3/27/2010
Clean-up crew added 4/21/2010
First Fish added 7/25/2010
First Coral added 8/10/2010

All water comes from a BRS 6 Stage Chloramines RO/DI system with TDS always reading zero after the second DI canister.

Salt has been Red Sea Coral Pro until last two water changes which mixed approx 50/50 with Tropic Marin Pro Reef. 10-15% water changes every 3-4 wks.

Filtration:
* Bubble King 300 Deluxe External gravity fed directly by display tank overflow
* Carbon in fluidized reactor - changed monthly
* Filter socks in sump - cleaned weekly with vinegar/water in washing machine and finally rinsed in RO/DI water. Socks Replaced Monthly.
* Filter sponge as pre-filter to sump return pump inlet - cleaned weekly with vinegar/water and finally rinsed in RO/DI water
* 150 lbs+ Live Rock between Display and Frag Tank
* 100 lbs+ Live Sand (SSB in Display plus DSB in Fuge)
* 40 gal Refugium with Chaeto

Circulation:
* Vortech MPW40 x 2
* Tunze 6105 x 1
* Tunze Wavebox x 1
* Dart Gold (Sump return and feed to frag tank & fuge)

Lighting:
* 3x 250W Reeflux 12K MH's - 10hr photoperiod
* 2x 80W T5's (Dimmable for sunrise/sunset) - 12 hr photoperiod
* T5's on fuge and frag tank

Heating/Cooling:
* 400W heater in sump and fan over tank controlled via Profilux.
* All tanks are housed in a dedicated fish room (In wall display).
* Fish room has it's own ventilation and A/C system.
* Tank Temperature maintained between 25.9 C (78.6 F) and 26.4 C (79.5 F) during day.
* Tank Temperature maintained between 25.4 C(77.7 F) and 25.9 C (78.6 F) during night.

Control/Supplementation/Feeding:
* Profilux II Plus EX system with ORP, pH, Temp, Salinity Control
* Profilux 4 channel dosing unit for top off (trigged by Conductivity probe) and Balling Salts (Alk, Ca and Mg)
* Julian Sprung's Sea Elements and Sr dosed at about ½ or less the recommended amounts on a weekly basis
* DT's Phytoplankton added every few days
* Rod's Reef Food once/day and Formula Two Flake once/day

Livestock:
* Sailfin Tang
* 2x Blue/Green Chromis
* About a dozen aquacultured Acro frags
* 3 larger Maricultured Acro's (about 3-5" each)
* 2 aquacultured Pocilliopora frags
* 3 aquacultured Seriatopota frags
* 1/2 dozen or so aquacultured Montipora frags
* Misc Acans, Favia, Zoo's
* All above inhabitants have been dipped/quarantined before adding to the tank
* Misc reef safe Hermit crabs and snails

Parameters:
* pH (8.2-8.4 depending on time of day) - Profilux electrode
* Alk (9.6-9.9 dKH) - Salifert
* Ca (420-440 mg/L) "“ Tropicmarin
* Mg (1300+) "“ Infrequently checked with a Seachem kit
* N03 (0) - ELOS
* NH3 (0) - Salifert
* P04 (<0.01 mg/L) - Tropicmarin
* Salinity (53.0-53.2 ms) - Profilux electrode
* Redox (generally low to mid 400 mv, but in the low 500's for the past few days) - Profilux electrode

I will also say that I often double check the above readings via other test kits or measurement devices to ensure that they are not reading off for some reason. For instance, I use a refractometer (cal'd) for salinity and it syncs with the Profilux electrode very closely ~35 ppt. I also have a digital temp gun that reads surface temps of the water and a separate digital thermometer which are all within a few tenths or so of a degree. I also cal'd all of my electrodes a few weeks ago so they should be dead on.

Now onto my issue. My tank has been very stable aside from a small Alk drop of about 0.5 dKH several weeks ago when I found the dosing line clogged with Alk solution that solidified (Note: Don't let this hang to close to splashing water or this is what happens). My Redox levels generally fall within 400-450 but have sometimes dipped into the high 300's. I just noticed a couple days ago that it was reaching 500. I've heard that this can be detrimental to life and am a bit concerned and frankly confused that I'm now seeing numbers in the 520+ range. I just cleaned the electrode with vinegar, rinsed it with RO/DI water and dropped it into some 220 mv cal solution and it read between 220 and 221 so I'd say it's reading properly. Keep in mind that I have done nothing differently from my normal chores in the past several days aside from add 2 small Monti frags. My fish seem to be acting perfectly normal and appear healthy. Some (although not all) of my SPS corals are lacking in polyp extension. I'm not clear if this is at all related to the Redox value, but it does seem rather peculiar to me. Although I don't think it's related, one frag of Seriatopora Hystrix has decided to bleach out of nowhere while another is doing just fine.

My basic questions are as follows:

1.) Should I be concerned with the high Redox?
2.) Is the high Redox likely to cause poor polyp extension?
3.) Given the background above what could lead to such a high Redox?
4.) Is there something available that could safely lower the Redox without leading to other issues.

FWIW I've read RHF's article on Redox and know he's of the opinion that it's not worth checking unless you are using Ozone at which point it becomes a fail safe for over dosing Ozone into the aquaria. I'm using it more as a gauge to identify any changes within the system by noting a large swing in level (like what I'm seeing now although I would have expected a drop not an increase). Appreciate any insight.

I'd also like to mention that I did check for stray voltages in the tank earlier and found a potential of ~1.4 Volts AC with my multi meter so I hooked up the Titanium ground probe that I've had sitting in a box for years and it immediately dissapeared. No significant change in Redox was noted since then (approximately 4 hours ago) aside from the slight reduction that I would attribute to rising pH as the day progresses. That being said, the voltage potential is now zero.

It's possible that there might be some electrical interference with the probe. I might try a quick measurement on a cup of tank water. How was the probe calibrated?

The electrode was calibrated per Profilux instructions with the provided 220 mv solution. Basically, installing a null plug onto the controller in place of the electrode and waiting for the controller to calibrate, then replacing the null plug with the electrode imersed in 220 mv calibration solution and waiting for the controller to calibrate. When finished, the electrode is rinsed in a cup of RO/DI water and placed into the sump.

Thanks for the suggestion regarding interference. I gave it a shot. I placed it into a fresh cup of aquarium water and even after a few minutes of waiting, the measurement was exactly the same as with it in the sump = 505 mv.

I don't know what's happening, but I might try some of the American Marine 400 ORP solution, or something in that range. If the dosing list you gave above is correct, I wouldn't worry about the ORP. You might have gotten a bad batch of the Profilux solution.

The polyp extension problem might be due to a number of factors. Do the polyps extend more when food is added?

Oldtimer you have probe issues, as you can not get barley over 400 mV, if that, in a seawater tank let alone 500mV or more. That probe more than likely has algae growing on it, which can do that easily, as the algae gives of vasts amount of O2 at the probe algae interface, which raises the ORP. Get some probe cleaner or use some pH 4 cal solution and let it soak for 2 hrs and then use a Q-tip to scrubber the probe * gently. You also can not calibrate a ORP probe. You can only test it to see if it falls with-in a mV range.

How this should be done
http://www.hach.com/fmmimghach?/CODE:3328897873|1

http://www.sensorex.com/products/orp_electrodes/ORP_sensor_products.html

Thanks for the feedback Boomer. I can confirm that there is no hair algae growing on the probe. It's extremely clean. I went over it with a clean wipe and vinegar and then rinsed it in RO/DI before I made the original post above. Even before doing so, it looked very clean. I'll clean it again per your recommendation and see if this helps.

As for the calibration - at least that's what GHL calls it in the manual. I believe the controller is essentially confirming the accuracy of the probe since it counts down a cycle during immersion of the probe in 220 mv cal solution. If the controller "sees" the desired value within the allotted time for the cycle, it accepts the probe. Otherwise, the probe is deemed defective and no values are stored.

Thanks Jonathan. The polyps are not responding to food as expected. I noticed this on 3 acros and 2 monti's. It seems to be at least coincidence that it occurred around the time of this spike in ORP.

Oldtimer

Then you need to run a ORP ref test such as those in the links. That probe has to be bad or that controller. There is NOTHING that can take place in a reef tank to give a ORP that high, unless it is ozone or some other oxidant being added.

The 10 hour 12k halide photo period might have something to do with sps pe and the bleached birdsnest.. Hard to say. I run mine 7.5 hours with actinic supplementation for 11 hours with mv in the 310 320 range w/o ozone and sps do very well with it.

For the ORP probe, I like cleaning them in a 1% sodium hypochlorite solution, then a .1N HCl solution. This is a bit of a test as well, as your ORP in the acid and bleach should shoot way up (900mV plus, you can also drop the ORP reading by putting the probe in some mild alcohol like ethanol, usually drops the reading fast). ORP probes are squirrely and do lots of crazy things. Organic build up on the seems to randomly raise the ORP values as well. If the probe isn't working, I'd turn it off and pretend it never happened.

Again, if you aren't running ozone, it probably isn't a problem.

OK, so let's assume it's a bad probe and ignore it for now. I've been doing some research and am starting to wonder if I have unintentionally created an ULNS. See here for more details...

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?t=225482&highlight=phosphate+deprivation

My skimmer + fuge/sandbed is rather overkill given my current bioload and I don't feed heavily at all. There aren't many points of entry for P04 into the system.

I ordered a D&D P04 test kit, but I'm immediately going to cut back my photo period and feed a bit heavier. I saw yet another piece of SPS (Pocillopora) losing tissue on the tips today and this has been one of the fastest and hardiest appearing corals in the tank. Something just isn't right here and all other parameters are dead on.

Thoughts?

Good article as with all of Randy's stuff. I understand the Iodine is not something to be taken lightly primarily because of the difficulty in accurately testing for it (which this article highlights). At the moment, I'm considering iodine a second path of interest if the P04 avenue is a dead end. I ordered a Salifert Iodine test kit just in case.

At the current rate, my tank is likely to be a dead zone unless something quickly changes for the better. I'm hoping I nail it down in the next couple days. Test kits will be here then.

OK, so the D&D P04 test kit and Salifert Iodine test kit arrived today. I also picked up some Brightwell Coral Aminos and Zooplanktos-L with a gut feel that the system needs some nurtition. I later confirmed with the D&D kit that phosphates are running at zero. So, I seem to have created an ULNS without trying. After doing the Aminos and Zooplantos-L, the corals exhibited significant polyp extension and hopefully are on the road to recovery.

I tested Alk and Ca yesterday and although Ca was in the 420-430 range, Alk is a bit higher than I'd like at 10.2 so I bumped back the rate on the dosing unit for the Alk, Ca and Mg salts so I can get Alk back in the low to mid 9's. At the same time, I cut back the photoperiod on the halides by 2 hours. Hopefully this gives things a chance to recover.

I only wish my fish had a different fate. I lost 2 of my 3 fish yesterday due to a power outage that lasted just shy of 2 hours, but started with a surge that caused the lights to pulsate enough to scare the fish to death literally. One chromis and my beloved Sailfin are now RIP. The other chromis appears to be doing OK. Just to be safe I double checked NH3, N02 and N03 and all are zero. Temp, pH and salinity are also normal.

I'm going to pick up a few chromis and probably a pair of Chalk basslets tomorrow, possibly a tang or two as well. Will try to get some fish waste into this system. Will update this thread as it progresses.

The saga continues.... read my thread here.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1927989

I'm not convinced it's just a P04 issue. Even the few Aptasia that are in the tank seem to be impacted. One is totally balled up while the other couple tiny ones seem to have dissapeared off the map! I can't believe P04 alone would do this since I am feeding the tank. I just don't know what else could be causing this.

I'm going to do a 15% water change and change out the GAC. Any thoughts on this?

I would do more than a 15 % WC if it where me. It would be more like 50 % day one and 50% day two and crap loads of GAC, either ROX, The Filter Guys or SeaChem Labs Matrix at like 1 cup / 50 gal. Your issue is not PO4 but some kind of contaminate.

Back