How to build a CO2 regulator for your calcium reactor.

I still have to see how these regulators work. That will make me decide if it was money well spent. BUT the regulator and the assembly feels solid.

Alan you think that swagelok needle valve is great in dialing the co2.

got this today, but the outlet is 1/2" instead, should I get a 1/2" x 1/4" hex reducer nipple before the 1/4"x1/8" elbow for the burkert solenoid. Do you think I got the wrong gauge since specification on the Matheson's website indicates the port size is 1/4" https://www.mathesongas.com/pdfs/pr...age-High-Purity-Stainless-Steel-Regulator.pdf

http://www.grainger.com/product/PARKER-Hex-Nipple-1DGA2

The outlet fitting is super hard to take off, any suggestion without breaking the gauge.

Nice reg! How much did you get it for? Btw the outlets of this reg are 1/4 not 1/2.

I still have to see how these regulators work. That will make me decide if it was money well spent. BUT the regulator and the assembly feels solid.

Alan you think that swagelok needle valve is great in dialing the co2.

The Swagelok M series is a medium flow valve. It's a bit sensitive but will keep the flow consistent. The parts we are using are industrial grade. These are quality stuff. The regulator alone retails in the hundreds.

I picked up a NEW Nupro Swagelok M-4BK-BMG-TSW 1/4" Stainless Bellows-Sealed Metering Valve at ebay for $35+shipping, the dilema is I don't really know what fittings are required for the burkert and CO2 tubing.
Alan can you guide me to the Tube socket and tube butt weld connection, thx

I picked up a NEW Nupro Swagelok M-4BK-BMG-TSW 1/4" Stainless Bellows-Sealed Metering Valve at ebay for $35+shipping, the dilema is I don't really know what fittings are required for the burkert and CO2 tubing.

Alan can you guide me to the Tube socket and tube butt weld connection, thx

This valve will not work. It's a high flow valve. There are a lot of valves on ebay but only about 10% will work.

This valve will not work. It's a high flow valve. There are a lot of valves on ebay but only about 10% will work.

Alan how do you define whether a valve is high flow or low flow, the flow coefficient Cv is up 0.019, whatever that means.

Alan how do you define whether a valve is high flow or low flow, the flow coefficient Cv is up 0.019, whatever that means.

You look at the number of turns, orifice and mainly Cv. I have tested this valve. It's very sensitive. It will work if you have a large tank like 500 gallons. For example, a valve with 10 turns fully open is more sensitive than the one with 18 turns.

This has become one frustrating experience hunting for correct parts, then found out the reg I got had an internal leak, followed Alan's procedure, letting the CO2 flow through then close the tank valve, my low gauge registered 30 psi, which should have been 0. this is going back to the seller.

Will this work it's Linde HiQ R200/2, with Helium printed on the back of gauges, didn't say if it's a dual stage regulator.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Linde-HiQ-R...SS-w-V200-C-/161776212736?hash=item25aa9d1b00

This reg will work but the low pressure gauge reads 400PSI. It's a little bit hard to adjust if you don't mind. This is perfect for multi outputs setup. For single output, get something with 200PSI or less.

Here is a new dual stage at very good price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/23145133738...l?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=231451337385&_rdc=1

I got some more parts. It seems pretty clear how these bits go together, I'm wondering what the significance is of the little taper/notch thingies on these tubes is.
22ae2d2bdaaf7e6fe1b91080776dc3b2.jpg

Is like to confirm that I don't need to put any type of sleeve or anything on this one.
0db937095a78d19eb88ca90ea0914370.jpg

The compression fittings do not seem to tighten up at all finger tight. Do I need to torque on it a bit with a wrench? How tight do they need to be?

What should I use on the threaded bits? I seem to recall reading something about a liquid Teflon instead of the tape but it's a long thread...

Thanks!

Trying to figure this one out too.
8728b5f04ebc93c17d947621ee60347c.jpg

I'm not super attached to this bubble counter but it does have a check valve in it. What am I supposed to be hooking up to this to attach the hose?

I've got a fluval bubble counter and an inline check valve, SS with barbs from Taiwan. (I've also got a bubble counter and check valve on my c1502 but I hear the check valves on those tend to fail).

Hopefully last one for tonight.

What does "P" and "A" mean on my solenoid?
08faa66678540fa7bf5be00fa7043130.jpg

Finally finished my regulator it looks great, thanks alot for helping out Alan everything is working great now it's $1200 regulator

Last edited:
Alan,
What power supply are you using with the berkurt 6011?
Thanks for the thread and all the great info in it.....

Justin

I just picked up a used calcium reactor setup, so I am new to the co2 game. He gave me a couple single stage regulators. Can I just add a hoke metering valve to make it a 2 stage? Also, if the calcium reactor has a bubble counter, do i still need one coming off of the co2 regulator?

Alan,
What power supply are you using with the berkurt 6011?
Thanks for the thread and all the great info in it.....

Justin

Are you using the 24vdc one linked above? There was a link for the psu as well. That's the one I got. It was in the list of parts to get post.

So, I figured out that you can take the little o ring off and the tube fits. Ill have to get my cylinder charged up so I can leak test it to make sure that's right though.

Trying to figure this one out too.
8728b5f04ebc93c17d947621ee60347c.jpg

I'm not super attached to this bubble counter but it does have a check valve in it. What am I supposed to be hooking up to this to attach the hose?

I've got a fluval bubble counter and an inline check valve, SS with barbs from Taiwan. (I've also got a bubble counter and check valve on my c1502 but I hear the check valves on those tend to fail).

Back