How to build a CO2 regulator for your calcium reactor.

Your suggestion of Brasso was fantastic. The regulator was kinda messy(and cheap). Looks very nice now. It came with stock gauges with plastic covers, but those forged brass and glass Wikas are sweet looking.

What it looked like on eBay...

Im Plastidipping the knob and CO2 tank and its knob, red and white to match the Vertex equipment.

When I saw your brass one on the front page, I woulda swore that was out of my price range or budget.

It looked like $1000 worth of sexy shiney brass to me.

It came in less than that Carbon Doser regulator.

Last edited:
Your suggestion of Brasso was fantastic. The regulator was kinda messy(and cheap). Looks very nice now. It came with stock gauges with plastic covers, but those forged brass and glass Wikas are sweet looking.

What it looked like on eBay...

Im Plastidipping the knob and CO2 tank and its knob, red and white to match the Vertex equipment.

When I saw your brass one on the front page, I woulda swore that was out of my price range or budget.

It looked like $1000 worth of sexy shiney brass to me.

It came in less than that Carbon Doser regulator.

Plastidip the knob is a great idea. I learned something new from you. Check out airgas.com and you will be surprised how much these dual stage rigs cost :)

Here is an example of the stainless steel Parker IR4000 single stage regulator. Airgas sells it for $668.
http://airgas.com/product/Gas-Equip...ipment/Specialty-Gas-Regulators/p/Y11C444F350

The same regulator but dual stage in great condition is going for $150 or best offer on ebay.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/331430361422?nav=SEARCH
I'm just making an example. The output of this regulator is a bit high so dont get it.

By the way, imo Airgas regulators are nice. Search for "airgas y12" on ebay. These are dual stages.

Last edited:
38.gif
Thanks for the info. Should the solenoid be warm if it is energized or only if it is closed
23.gif

It should draw some heat when energized. Anything below 4 watts is good. More than 4 watts is too hot.

I found a picture that someone on the planted tank forum posted. He got curious at what is inside the carbon doser "mystery" box so he opened it. This is what it looks like.
cde25688e57c669313662f7d6ce30801.jpg
Thank you for posting this photo alanle. When i first saw the Carbon Doser device a few months ago, and read about its operation from hobbyists and the official claims from the company, the first thought that popped into my head was "I wonder if it is just a Clippard valve with a timer?". Your photo confirms that this appears to be the case and re-affirms the my belief that the simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

Dennis

Alan,

That 432 doesn't take returns, so I wonder if its working. It's also listed as a PARTS thing, so I'm not sure.

I bought a ton of regulators off of craigslist, a guy had a huge lot he was selling of (supposedly) working regulators.

You can see the pictures of them here: One Drive Album

Around 10 212's from concoa, a ton of other ones too. IR6002 is the one I'm probably going to end up using, that a good regulator alan?

I am curious about what the issue is that happens to the single stage regulators at the end of the tank? Does the pressure of the dumped CO2 exceed the pressure the regulator was set for?

I am just wondering if a second small (external) regulator after a single stage one (like the Clippard MMR-1N) can remove the deficiencies of a single stage regulator.

I realize getting a good quality 2 stage would be a better approach, but I am just curious.

Dennis

Hey Alan quick question I believe you stated to use a 12v power supply with the burkert valves but it says 24v on it. should I use a 24v one? I have one of each so it's no big deal to me just wondering..

And also is the only way to know if it's a dual stage regulator from just looking at it the size of the body? I know my single stage Milwaukee is a lot shorter than the dual stage one I'm getting but I was just curious as a friend asked me and that's what I said lol..

Hey Alan quick question I believe you stated to use a 12v power supply with the burkert valves but it says 24v on it. should I use a 24v one? I have one of each so it's no big deal to me just wondering..

And also is the only way to know if it's a dual stage regulator from just looking at it the size of the body? I know my single stage Milwaukee is a lot shorter than the dual stage one I'm getting but I was just curious as a friend asked me and that's what I said lol..

The Burkert is 24VDC so you should use it with the right power adapter. To tell whether a regulator is a single stage or dual stage just look at the body. Dual stage regulators have a longer back while single stages are flat. Don't be confused with "dual gauges". Some sellers on ebay often use this term.

-Alan

this may be a stupid question, but what is the overall +- dimension for a 20lb co2 tank and regulator, more concerned with the height and diameter of a set up.

The calcium reactor project has been put on hold. I am in the process of setting up the tank and decided to build a stand , canopy is next. I plan on building a separate box next to the tank to hold the co2 tank, masterflex, ballasts/drivers if it is a good idea to put them in the box. Would like to incorporate the chiller into the design as well. Don't know how tall the box has to be.

thanks

this may be a stupid question, but what is the overall +- dimension for a 20lb co2 tank and regulator, more concerned with the height and diameter of a set up.

The calcium reactor project has been put on hold. I am in the process of setting up the tank and decided to build a stand , canopy is next. I plan on building a separate box next to the tank to hold the co2 tank, masterflex, ballasts/drivers if it is a good idea to put them in the box. Would like to incorporate the chiller into the design as well. Don't know how tall the box has to be.

thanks

20lb CO2 cylinder usually stands at 23-24". However check with the seller before you make the purchase.
-Alan

I have a 20# cylinder for my system. From base to top of the guard around the valve it's 27.5" tall. I would guess it's around 8" to 9" in diameter.

I'm confused on the power supply for the Burkert solenoid. Aquarium Plants adds a grounded power cord as an option and there's a tutorial on the web on how to add a power cord. So does that mean the solenoid plugs directly into a wall outlet?

I thought I had read somewhere that the solenoid may need a power adaptor?

Yeah the solenoid does need a power adapter. Possibly the AP one is AC?

What I find is a little off also is that the weatherproof connector on the burkert is sized for a standard cable size not really the small power adapter sized cords on the power supplies. Looking at my Milwaukee solenoid it's just a grounded plug so I'm guessing it's AC . I'm going to be powering mine up here pretty soon so I'll post a picture of it when I'm done.

On a side note I ended up getting a new older style Harris dual stage for oxygen from work. It has never been used but I need to test it to make sure it doesn't have any internal leaks.. It's the older style but being that it's new once I get the fittings I should be off to the races.

Pic of my finished system

Pic of my finished system

I used what fittings I could find locally off of craigslist and from home depot to finish mine. I have a veriflo 6000 stainless regulator, but the rest of it is all brass.

Full res pictures here: http://1drv.ms/1HlnCaD

In terms of the power supply, each solenoid will have different power requirements. Some are 120v AC and just spliced in to a power cord, but mine was 12v. I got a IP67 constant current LED power supply and used waterproof wire caps to attach the solenoid power cables to the power supply.

Did the test as Alan prescribed, no problems and nothing bubbles when doing the soap test.

Attachments

• 20150129_122717shrunk.jpg
    20150129_122717shrunk.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20150129_122709shrunk.jpg
    20150129_122709shrunk.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 0
Back