How to get rid hair algae

tony73

Hello
I need some suggestions
How to get rid hair algae on the rocks?
I've discovered the issue, it's worng cement used 8 months ago to glue live rocks, but Fluocanazole doesn't work

I woulk like to avoid to remove rocks and start with another one.

Maybe ZEOLITE or ALGAE SCRUBBER could help?

In the last 3 months I've bought new osmosis system with 5 stadium, I've changed 30% weekly water of my reef tank (80gallons net volume), but probably silicates released by cement is already present.

Nitrate levels?
Phosphate levels?
Not sure why you think the cement is/was the issue.. Phosphorous based adhesive?

Its also not likely that silicates are the reason. Typically silicates are associated with Diatoms and not really hair algae.

Can you post a picture to ensure we have a proper identification of the issue?
How long were you using it and how much Fluconazole did you try?

Were you using "tap/city" (unfiltered) water prior to your recent purchase of a RO/DI system?

How old is the tank?

Type of lighting?

Nitrate levels? around 2-3 ppm
Phosphate levels? 0
Not sure why you think the cement is/was the issue.. Phosphorous based adhesive? Because after weekly 30% water change for 8 weeks, new system osmosis with 6 stadium, and no products used in the reef tank, I've seen cement scrumble of the sand, now rocks are not stable because cement is not keeping them :facepalm:
Its also not likely that silicates are the reason. Typically silicates are associated with Diatoms and not really hair algae.

Can you post a picture to ensure we have a proper identification of the issue?
How long were you using it and how much Fluconazole did you try? 8 capsules for 80 gallons total.

Were you using "tap/city" (unfiltered) water prior to your recent purchase of a RO/DI system?

How old is the tank? 7 years

Type of lighting?ATI T5 8X39

There are lots of approaches. I might try spending a few minutes a week pulling out what hair algae is easy to remove, just to reduce the nutrients in the system. In addition, I might try some vodka or vinegar dosing. GFO sometimes helps, as well, even when the phosphate level measures zero, as it can outcompete some alga species for phosphate as it is released.

I'm at the (hopefully) tail end a very long multi-month battle with very severe GHA that was not solved by Fluconazole. I'd siphon out massive amounts of algae but in a week or two it'd be all back. It was quite a problem and the GHA overgrew and killed more corals than I'd like to admit.

I'm not entirely convinced by the causality, but once I started dosing the maximum dosage of Vibrant (1ml/10 gallons twice a week), the algae really started to weaken and my ability to clean it out of the system became faster than its ability to grow. Now this is all part of a large system where I'm skimming pretty wet, have an ATS and am using the Vibrant, but I had all those things before the Vibrant and they weren't helping all that much.

It isn't like when I started dosing the Vibrant all the algae died, but it did seem to weaken the algae enough that when I clean it off the rocks it doesn't come back, and slowly but surely I'm knocking it out of the whole tank. I'm not sure if the Vibrant was really just an expensive form of carbon dosing (Vinegar is one of the ingredients) or the Vibrant special ingredients actually had the effect, but I'd say it is worth a try.

Also I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from the water tests. When my GHA outbreak was in full swing my Nitrate levels were 0, and now with the GHA in decline my Nitrate levels have been pretty steady between 5-7.5. When you have a ton of algae your levels might be low but you still have a nutrient problem because the algae is just taking them up so quickly.

I have hair algae that grows in little tufts here & there. It's not an issue but I've fought it for a while. Reef Flux never touched it, GFO didn't make it go away, carbon dosing didn't do the trick. Peroxide killed it where I could use it and the algae has not returned in those areas. Unfortunately there are a lot of areas I can't use it. I'm just starting week 3 of Vibrant. The algae is definitely starting to recede. Oh... and I added a rather large Sea Hare to boot. He's made a visible in just a few days.

Based on the last 3 weeks, I would suggest Vibrant & a big ugly Sea Hare.

The only problem with the sea hares is that they tend to die of starvation before getting rid of all of the alga. They can be picky about their diet, too.

The only problem with the sea hares is that they tend to die of starvation before getting rid of all of the alga. They can be picky about their diet, too.

That's my experience with Sea Hares. I either find the dying somewhere or they just disappear.

I had some success with longspine urchins but they tend to show little discrimination between nuisance algae, good algae (especially coralline), and even corals (encrusting SPS are at particular risk to be "mowed over").

Another thing that worked for me in the past were Trochus snails and scarlet hermits. But that can be a costly path.

In my experience , reducing nitrates and phosphates does little to nothing. GHA can grow like crazy even without excess nutrients. I had actually GHA starting to grow and grow out of control AFTER I reduced feeding. In my coral system with 0 phosphate, 0 nitrate, and 3 macro algae fuges (together those have the same volume as the display!) GHA is out of control. At the same time my Anemonefish system with 20 nitrate and 0.8 phosphate and no fuge has very little GHA and little algae problems in general.

The intent of the Sea Hare is just to mow down most of the big stuff that the rest of the clean up crew won't touch. Hobbyists should know they are not long lived even in the wild and need a lot of algae to survive. If you buy a big one, it is probably not going to live very long.

I just wanted to give the Vibrant a little help, not to add a permanent member to the clean-up crew. Hopefully I'll get to return the Sea Hare to the LFS. We'll see.

In my experience , reducing nitrates and phosphates does little to nothing. GHA can grow like crazy even without excess nutrients....

I think the hair algae in my tank is surviving by using other forms of nitrogen supplied by the system's bioload. I've read somewhere that it might actually use these compounds better than simple inorganic N & P.

You can shut off the flow in the tank and apply 12% H2O2 (eBay) directly to the base of the HA and it will do wonders. Use a titration syringe to apply the H2O2. In a day or two you will see massive results. Turn the flow back on a few minutes after application.

You can shut off the flow in the tank and apply 12% H2O2 (eBay) directly to the base of the HA and it will do wonders. Use a titration syringe to apply the H2O2. In a day or two you will see massive results. Turn the flow back on a few minutes after application.
You can do the same thing with some boiling RODI water and a turkey baster. I prefer this, as H2O2 irritated my condylactis once and it nuked the entire tank.

Just be careful not to apply it too close to anything you want to keep.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Fluconazole works when nothing else does but you NEED a really good skimmer. WHich will save you from a lot of other situations.

Fluconazole works when nothing else does but you NEED a really good skimmer. WHich will save you from a lot of other situations.
I have uktra reef uks 200 on 80 gallons
It's ultrasized skimmer for my tank

Inviato dal mio LM-G710 utilizzando Tapatalk

I had a huge GHA outbreak,spent about 3 months doing 30-40% weekly water changes, cut feeding by 75%, shortened the time lights where on, spent hours removing it by hand. Nothing worked. What finally worked was did a Fluconazole treatment, GHA started fading in color to a light green, removed all I could by hand, 30% water change, then a 3 day blackout(completely covered tank with cardboard and light off), then another Fluconazole treatment and 30% water change. GHA is gone and its been 4 months.

Back