How to pair Damsels

Myles

I am interested in getting a pair of damsels-does any one know how to pair them up? Do I purchase different size fish or get a group and let them sort it out?
I am also wondering which species to try and am looking at the yellow tail, azure, talbots, and starki. Are there any differences in disposition? I like them all so would choose the one most likely to play nicely with others.
Myles

I don't think there are any discernible differences between juvenile damsel fish. I'd just try a couple and see if they get along. Watch their behavior and you'll be able to see if they have 'chemistry'. I tested some of the mellower damsels myself. In my experience, the most mellow damsel is the Allen's Damsel. The issue with them, and many other damsels these days, is Uronema, which used to be a mostly Chromis issue. But since they likely are housed in the same holding tanks, they all get it. Uronema is a fast killer, so you need to treat prophylactically from day one, or on day two they're dead. The good news is with proper QT, they come out strong and beautiful. I have five in my 180 and they get along swimmingly.

picture.php

I wonder what’s caused uronema to be so prevalent among even damsels these days..... thought they’re some of the most bulletproof fish one can find.

Are all damsels these days prone to the disease?

It's not the fish themselves that are the problem. It's the holding tanks they are housed in along the way to our tanks. Uronema does not require a fish host, so going fallow doesn't help. So it is likely that EVERY damsel & chromis holding system in the chain of custody has uronema. Each system would need to be thoroughly disinfected. But damsels are cheap - cheaper than the cure, so economically it's challenging. Now, with the industry reduced to a crawl, would be a great time for this to get done. Will it?

Uronema is the most challenging ailment I have dealt with in 20+ years. Damsels aren't normally prone to disease. But because every imported damsel is likely exposed en route, while under heavy stress, I would say yes, damsels are now prone to get it. I would think some are less prone to get it but I don't know.

The good news is uronema is treatable, and once they're out of QT they're very hardy. ALWAYS disinfect all wet things in your QT system, between uses.

You also, in thinking about pairs, need to consider size. A humbug damsel can get to the size of a saucer, and they are rough and nippy. You'd probably need a 750 gallon tank to keep the peace. The Garabaldi is even bigger. The chromis are pretty well as you see them, but they tend to assassinate each other over sleeping spaces, very likely a function of limited room in our tanks, not enough space, which is the source of most aggression problems. My own favorites are the Fiji blue and the azures.

Last edited:
I tried 5 ORA Lemon Damsels in the hopes that captive bred would be less aggressive. Over the course of ~6 months, they picked each other apart and only one was left.

I had a fullgrown humbug damsel in my 105 gallon wedge, along with a Fiji blue, Sergeant-Major, and some blennies. They were a great tank until we had an 8 day power-out. The humbug survived, and the blennies, but the other 2 damsels didn't. I tried to replace them. Mistake. They either grow up together , or it's war. I finally had to re-home the big damsel, and I fear the worst for a happy ending for her. Fish stores may take them, but may put them down if they can't find a taker fast. If it hadn't been for the power out, we'd have been ok, but once we were down to one big fish she wasn't going to put up with any new ones.

Thanks for the suggestions-I hadn't thought about the Allens. It sounds like pairing is going to be difficult. I always quarantine my fish so I am not too worried about disease.
Myles

I had a damsel once and it terrorized everything else in the tank. It was a pain to catch but I needed to get it out. I would suggest a different fish if you like your current fish.

Back