I need help with a broke down chiller while out of town.

jporter

My 1/3HP artica chiller went out Sunday afternoon. I continually blows ceramic fuses when the cooler tries to turn on. I have shortened the MH time to 4 hours on during the day and the T5s on 12 hours a day. The water never went over 78 without the chiller kicking on bringing it back down to 77.I have removed all the doors, and canopy cover to open it up for breathing.added a fan blowing cross the water controlled by the apex. Even had my wife make

RODI ice to drop in the sump during the MH time period Which I had shortened to 4 hours a day. Added a fan to the apex and set it to run when temp >78 turn fan on if
Temp <77 turn fan off. I hope I can make it work while I'm gone this week. I may need mot ask a local reefer to help until I return on Friday night. Please let me know if you can offer some help, or advice. jP

I have a 1/3 hp I can bring over right now if I need to...
Use it for how ever long you need

It's responces like this that make me happy to have run across Reef Central, FRAG and you all.......:thumbsup:.:thumbsup:.:thumbsup:.:thumbsup:

JP, I have a 1/4hp chiller that i have for emergency.
The only thing is, it hasn't been run in 2 years.
I'm in Gilbert.

I'm available right now or after 3pm tomorrow if you need an extra hand guys.
You have my number.

Thanks for the offers. I am going to give my work around a day but then may reach out for a loaner until I get back. The fans and opening up the canopy may be fine. I cut the MH back to 4 hours and the water seems to reach 78.5 as a high. That shouldn't cause any problems. Thanks guy! Great people on here. JP

Phil has my number, if you need the chiller he knows where I live. ( ill be far from home tomorrow) he could grab it any time tomorrow.
Or I could load it into the car now or into my wifes van, she's been to your house before. She could deliver it, but wouldn't be able to lift/ carry it. She's prego.

I can take off work for a few hours tomorrow if needed, I'm the boss :)
Just let me know. Jeff you should have my number, if not Mark has it.

The Great JP Reef shall survive!

I'm available in the evenings and willing to run over if any emergency arises. You should have my number, let me know if you need it.

Wow ghreat responses everyone. I am a little late to the party but LMK if I can do anything Jeff. I have five unused chiller just hanging out in my garage. I know for sure my 1/4 and 1/3 work great. The fan should work fine tho. That extra evaporation does wonders.

All, I appreciate all the offers and support. I just spoke to my wife and the tank hasn't been above 88.7 when the MHs have been on for a few hours. I shortened the intense lighting cycle to 4 hours a day until I get back and figure a long term solution. I'm hoping to add more fans and maybe go chiller less. I will update early weekend. Thanks again, great group we have!

Was the chiller new or used when you got it?

I remember the Arctica's having this issue a lot when they first came out, simple fix at the time was just swapping out the pigtail that the cord and fuse holder share with a new design from JBJ.

Was the chiller new or used when you got it?

I remember the Arctica's having this issue a lot when they first came out, simple fix at the time was just swapping out the pigtail that the cord and fuse holder share with a new design from JBJ.

Was brand new. I have tried swapping fuses and it was still blowing them Sunday afternoon. I have a hard time finding the replacements and believe them to be a ceramic 10A fuse? My wife called this afternoon and said the skimmer was overflowing. Talk about piling on.......
I will be doing some changes over the weekend and next week. I really appreciate all the support! JP

Back