if money wasnt an issue, what is the one fish you would get?

Copps,

Do you know where and how deep the personatus pair was caught in Kauai?

Publicly discussing recently collected personatus locations and depths is a touchy subject... Knowing the locations of many of the Oahu specimens it seems almost completely random in all honesty... in Kauai it seems a bit more predictable... I can say that the holotype Genicanthus personatus (the specimen used to describe the species) was collected in relatively shallow water in 1973... at an exotic sounding place called Magic Island... the funny part is that Magic Island is a manmade island right off Waikiki that was supposed to house a hotel... but the company went bankrupt and instead it became the home of the holotype of this wonderful species... :) here is a shot of Magic Island from my hotel room at the Hilton Hawaiian Village... :D this proves they could be caught anywhere...

room_view.jpg

There were a few personatus caught shallow in 1973 on Oahu, resulting in Jack Randall describing the species in 1975, having never seen a male! Interestingly not far from Magic Island I had this photo taken of the four of us in the apartment of the man in the yellow shirt... to his right is Jack Randall, then me, then Rich Pyle (who described the most recent Genicanthus (takeuchii))... the man in yellow shirt caught one of these personatus shallow (70 feet) in 1973! He is famous for other things and one of the other fish he discovered will be for sale in the aquarium trade within days (this is BIG news!)... anyone care to guess the man in the yellow shirt?

allfour.jpg

John, Is there anyone who has Genicanthus semicinctus in their collection or are they only in a public aquarium? Very cool looking fish!

The only ones I am aware of that were ever collected were by the Dallas World Aquarium... the owner of that aquarium is nuts like alot of us but with money, and about 15 years ago he arranged a collection at Lord Howe and got permits... they to this day have a Lord Howe 1500 gallon exhibit (I have photos somewhere from when I visited)... they displayed semicinctus there until a couple of years ago when the last female died... there were still conspics when I visited last year from that collection, along with some new conspics from New Caledonia... I got to go into the owner's office where he had his own aviary, along with a HUGE freshwater display with two super rare confiscated arrowanas and a small reef displaying Zebrasoma gemmatum and Centropyge interrupta... and a huge cylindrical tank of sea dragons... just amazing really... what a great collection that aquarium has...

Without a doubt, it would be a Queen angel from St. Peter and St. Paul rocks. By far the most incredible and unique angel fish on the planet!!!! To bad I can't have one.:uhoh2:

Ah yes... I'd shoot for something like this guy...

koi_queen.jpg

... or how about even rarer... the koi queen from OUTSIDE of St. Paul's Rocks... now this is one cool rare fish!!!!

koi_queen_non_SPR.jpg

Copps

... or how about even rarer... the koi queen from OUTSIDE of St. Paul's Rocks... now this is one cool rare fish!!!!

koi_queen_non_SPR.jpg

Copps

That is one incredible fish!!!!!! It would be so cool to have any of those fish, knowing that no one on this planet has one just like it.

If money was no object, I would build a custom tank, and commission RCT to produce some G. personatus for me. :p

Last edited:
Publicly discussing recently collected personatus locations and depths is a touchy subject... Knowing the locations of many of the Oahu specimens it seems almost completely random in all honesty... in Kauai it seems a bit more predictable... I can say that the holotype Genicanthus personatus (the specimen used to describe the species) was collected in relatively shallow water in 1973... at an exotic sounding place called Magic Island... the funny part is that Magic Island is a manmade island right off Waikiki that was supposed to house a hotel... but the company went bankrupt and instead it became the home of the holotype of this wonderful species... :) here is a shot of Magic Island from my hotel room at the Hilton Hawaiian Village... :D this proves they could be caught anywhere...

room_view.jpg

There were a few personatus caught shallow in 1973 on Oahu, resulting in Jack Randall describing the species in 1975, having never seen a male! Interestingly not far from Magic Island I had this photo taken of the four of us in the apartment of the man in the yellow shirt... to his right is Jack Randall, then me, then Rich Pyle (who described the most recent Genicanthus (takeuchii))... the man in yellow shirt caught one of these personatus shallow (70 feet) in 1973! He is famous for other things and one of the other fish he discovered will be for sale in the aquarium trade within days (this is BIG news!)... anyone care to guess the man in the yellow shirt?

allfour.jpg

The only ones I am aware of that were ever collected were by the Dallas World Aquarium... the owner of that aquarium is nuts like alot of us but with money, and about 15 years ago he arranged a collection at Lord Howe and got permits... they to this day have a Lord Howe 1500 gallon exhibit (I have photos somewhere from when I visited)... they displayed semicinctus there until a couple of years ago when the last female died... there were still conspics when I visited last year from that collection, along with some new conspics from New Caledonia... I got to go into the owner's office where he had his own aviary, along with a HUGE freshwater display with two super rare confiscated arrowanas and a small reef displaying Zebrasoma gemmatum and Centropyge interrupta... and a huge cylindrical tank of sea dragons... just amazing really... what a great collection that aquarium has...

Ah yes... I'd shoot for something like this guy...

koi_queen.jpg

koi_queen_non_SPR.jpg

Copps

Chip Boyle...
so peppermint angel in market!!!!:dance::blown::debi:

I bet those H.ciliaris are losing their color or most of it in aquariums.

Saw only one, many years ago who was for sale for US$10,000.00

For me :
Holacanthus limbaughi
and
Centropyge respledens

Was so close to the first one....
Was even closer to the second one exactly 4 years ago.aaaahhhhhh!!!!

Is it Jack Randall and an amazing Cirrhilabrus from Palau :fun4:

Jack Randall is to the right of the man in the yellow shirt... not him... and this fish is not from Palau... although it is found there too... :)

Hang on a second. Were do you find a fish like that "OUTSIDE" of St. Paul's Rocks???????

At this other tiny isolated place... larger than St. Paul's but still tiny... and nowhere near Brazil... :)

isolationisle.jpg

I bet those H.ciliaris are losing their color or most of it in aquariums.

Saw only one, many years ago who was for sale for US$10,000.00

For me :
Holacanthus limbaughi
and
Centropyge respledens

Was so close to the first one....
Was even closer to the second one exactly 4 years ago.aaaahhhhhh!!!!

What color morph was the St. Paul's Rocks specimen Vili?

Agreed on the limbaughi... the St. Paul's queen of the Pacific... and as long as we're dreaming, how about a limbaughi/ clarionensis hybrid that I know exists also... and on the resplendens you probably won't have to wait another four years...

so your friend frank is gonna breed resplendent again..

and you didn't said whether i was right or wrong about chip boyle...
i guess if it is indeed boyle then you have stirred a hornet nest too early..:uzi:

my guess of boyle is due to this photo...the man in your photo seem to be older version of this guy..

ChipBoyleCooksSAC2.jpg

earlei wrasse...
and i was hoping for a angel...:hammer:

did you bought them? you are not a wrasse man..

Back