If you were to do it all over again, what would you do?

I think having a serious QT setup and long routine is crucial- I got brook by skimping when I knew better. That took down my whole tank nearly as fast as I could ID it. Though the "in the works" rebuild is only 100g DT (for now) the system will be 250g+ and will have a couple of tanks dry but setup and 'plumbed in' so that if somebody looks sick OR if one of my LFS's has a sale I can make a purchase, get home and turn a valve to fill DT water into the QT, pull a sponge from the sump, stick it in the ready-and-waiting HOB filter and be in business before I take my jacket off. It's gotten to the point with designing this ultimate 'foolproof' (HA) system that operation, maintenance and catastrophe preparedness are now my favorite parts of the hobby.

That is exactly how I run my two hospital tanks.

I actually got my dream setup, found a bargain 105 g in a nice cabinet, and set up a damsel reef. It's still 'aging' and settling in, but we're gaining on it. The fish are happy, the few corals I retained through the move are happy, the urchins I have working on the green plague are happy, and I got myself a bigger skimmer and a new topoff unit: the old one was pushing 10 years, so I figured a replacement would be good.

I agree. In fact my top 5 reef tank 'waste of money' are:

1. 'live' sand - good old dead sand will be live soon enough, and it's much cheaper
2. custom/expensive sump - why? may look nice initially, but will be all gummed up wit salt creep and detritus shortly
3. ORP meter/controller - completely useless IME; what do you do if the reading low?
4. Falling for the 'newest thing in skimmer innovation' marketing spin - 'nuff said
5. Salt specially formulated for reefs - reefs thrive in the same water as fish in the oceans

BTW I like your tank information. "Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan!
That's what I'm trying to do is keep it simple. we'll see.

I actually got my dream setup, found a bargain 105 g in a nice cabinet, and set up a damsel reef. It's still 'aging' and settling in, but we're gaining on it. The fish are happy, the few corals I retained through the move are happy, the urchins I have working on the green plague are happy, and I got myself a bigger skimmer and a new topoff unit: the old one was pushing 10 years, so I figured a replacement would be good.

How long have you had the 105? Any suggestions for me? I plan to use a Herbie overflow and not the DSA overflow bulkhead kit b/c they're barbed for vinyl tubing, and I want hard plumbed with PVC and unions. Did you do a build thread? I'm at work so I can't spend too much time on RC, but I can search your name and check it out. Thanks.

BTW I like your tank information. "Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan!
That's what I'm trying to do is keep it simple. we'll see.

Yah, has never worked for me. When I told my wife I was getting back into the hobby early last year I said I was going to just keep things simple. Got a 90 off craigslist and put in a 75 gallon tank as a sump in the basement; good to go, right! Fast forward 8 months and I've got a 265 main display (still with the same sump though, so some efforts in self control:)), a 20 gal RDSB, three QT tanks (one setup permanently) and eying the now mothballed 90 as a potential FOWDR ..... not to mention the possibility of a frag tank. If there is anyone out there for whom this would meet their definition of 'keeping it simple' I'd appreciate the pep talk :lol:

Yah, has never worked for me. When I told my wife I was getting back into the hobby early last year I said I was going to just keep things simple. Got a 90 off craigslist and put in a 75 gallon tank as a sump in the basement; good to go, right! Fast forward 8 months and I've got a 265 main display (still with the same sump though, so some efforts in self control:)), a 20 gal RDSB, three QT tanks (one setup permanently) and eying the now mothballed 90 as a potential FOWDR ..... not to mention the possibility of a frag tank. If there is anyone out there for whom this would meet their definition of 'keeping it simple' I'd appreciate the pep talk :lol:

I'll need to find out your secret to get past the spouse factor barrier from a 90 to a 265? That's awesome!

I'm recently out of the hobby again (returning to freshwater)... I know how to be successful, but lack the time year-round to do it. Most of the year I can, but then there are gaps... Not long enough to cause serious issues in my freshwater tanks, but too long for the saltwater tank. It's not fair to the animals.

I would buy good equipment from the beginning. I would do a bare bottom display tank. I would have gotten a tank that was 20 in deep at the most.

+3. My three biggest gripes about my current 90g display: (1) I hate my sand bed! (2) 24" tall and 18" deep should be reversed! (3) I wasted a lot of money on cheap equipment that I've just ended up replacing with nicer stuff.

Has anyone started a 100 gallon or more without a sandbed, lots of live rock in DT and without a refugium? A cryptic live rock zone in the sump with an over rated skimmer with the intention to grow lots of SPS and some LPS and zoas etc.? This is my plan but I just want to see who has done this and how the aquarium has been doing over a course of 4 years or so. If I were to do this all over again, this is what I plan to do. Thanks.

ROFL sounds like my story. Bought a 90 gallon, set it up as a reef, 4 months later, I just ordered a custom 165 gallon, starphire glass, custom stand 36" high, custom sump with mechanical and natural filtration and built in ATO reservoir. Waiting for the tank to be finished and am already thinking on how I can use the 90 gallon as an aggressive tank of some sort :)

I had been out of the hobby for about 12 years, where previously I had a 70, 90 and 150 gallon :)

not get into the hobby, invest what i spent on this hobby into stocks, buy a house! lol well at least with the funds that I spent on.

Thats depressingly funny..As I am just getting started with corals..I should admire the neighbors tank and call it a day..

Personally I think this thread should be in the beginner's section over advanced :)

I'm just starting out, and find this feedback invaluable. Everyone who is just starting out would benefit greatly by avoiding at least a few of these common complaints. Between threads like this and having an great mentor(Copps) who wouldn't let me do some of these things if I tried..i.e. buying cheaper just to replace later; I feel like I’m off to a good start.

Keep posting! :)

1) I would never build a large tank on a carpet floor again (no way to change your carpet over the years) Build over a tile floor.
2) Make my ATO bin large enough to last a week if you go on vacation.
3) Set everything up (topoff/water change) to never lift a bucket again.

Wish I had known that dry rock should be treated first to remove phosphate. I simply rinsed off my Marco rocks and put them in, and now I'm having a really hard time trying to lower phosphate. I may have to gradually switch it out but it's such a hassle with a lot of corals set where I want them.

I have a recent roughly 40 gallon AIO tank that now I wish I would have bought a tank that wasnt AIO and had a separate sump/refugium. Dont have enough room for everything..

Back