Large Queen Angel hasn't eaten in 10 days

g2323

I've had this Angel for 4 years and never a problem. Some months ago I moved tanks and the new tank had an ich outbreak, So the water was treated with copper(This may be unrelated). All fish in the tank recovered and are now eating without any problems. But since 10 days ago my queen angel hasn't eaten anything. Tried seaweed, store brand, home made food but nothing will get them to eat. Maybe 2 weeks ago there was a strange problem with their mouth looking like it was stuck open, it only lasted a few days and they look normal again. I'm worried now they are going to starve themselves to death. The salinity is 1.019 and water changes are frequent. There are no other angels of course, just a Sailfin tang clowns and a wrasse. What can I try to make them eat again?

I can't help with the Angel not eating, but I'm sure @leebca @Dr. Reef @HumbleFish could help. They will most likely want to see a short 1-2 minute video of the fish under white (no blue) lighting to see the condition of the fish.

I am curious as to why your salinity is at 1.019? Typical seawater is in the 32-35 ppt or 1.023 - 1.026. See the below chart from BRS.

1691757146922.png

I've had this Angel for 4 years and never a problem. Some months ago I moved tanks and the new tank had an ich outbreak, So the water was treated with copper(This may be unrelated). All fish in the tank recovered and are now eating without any problems. But since 10 days ago my queen angel hasn't eaten anything. Tried seaweed, store brand, home made food but nothing will get them to eat. Maybe 2 weeks ago there was a strange problem with their mouth looking like it was stuck open, it only lasted a few days and they look normal again. I'm worried now they are going to starve themselves to death. The salinity is 1.019 and water changes are frequent. There are no other angels of course, just a Sailfin tang clowns and a wrasse. What can I try to make them eat again?
Try a live food. Download the Fish Nutrition document. You'll find live food suggestions in that post.

Speaking in generalities, Queen Angels don't so so well in home aquariums. They are Atlantic fish, living in slightly cooler water than our tropical ornamental marine fish. I'm not sure what's in your homemade food, but these fish do eat sponges. Try getting a high quality Angelfish frozen food that contains sponge, like Angel Formula.

A jaw 'stuck open' sometimes happens. Very rare. There is a condition in which the bones of the jaw don't mesh. It's kinda like when humans have a dislocate shoulder. It sometimes goes back to normal, but mostly it requires a procedure to relocate the jaw bones.

mouth stuck open can also mean uronema which is common in angels. Have you have any fish die or displace red blotchy sores under the skin? and as mentioned above could also be lymp which is almost a guarenteed side effect of copper on some butterflies angels and tangs.
Pics or video will help if you can post.

Last edited:
mouth stuck open can also mean uronema which is common in angels. Have you have any fish die or displace red blotchy sores under the skin? and as mentioned above could also be lymp which is almost a guarenteed side effect of copper on some butterflies angels and tangs.
Pics or video will help if you can post.
Yes i had green chromis die to what i believe was uronema, they had red splotches before dying. No red on the angel. The angel was moved into a tank that has never been treated with copper, still wont eat though

I can't help with the Angel not eating, but I'm sure @leebca @Dr. Reef @HumbleFish could help. They will most likely want to see a short 1-2 minute video of the fish under white (no blue) lighting to see the condition of the fish.

I am curious as to why your salinity is at 1.019? Typical seawater is in the 32-35 ppt or 1.023 - 1.026. See the below chart from BRS.

View attachment 32389709
The angel was moved to a tank with 026 salinity,

Try a live food. Download the Fish Nutrition document. You'll find live food suggestions in that post.

Speaking in generalities, Queen Angels don't so so well in home aquariums. They are Atlantic fish, living in slightly cooler water than our tropical ornamental marine fish. I'm not sure what's in your homemade food, but these fish do eat sponges. Try getting a high quality Angelfish frozen food that contains sponge, like Angel Formula.

A jaw 'stuck open' sometimes happens. Very rare. There is a condition in which the bones of the jaw don't mesh. It's kinda like when humans have a dislocate shoulder. It sometimes goes back to normal, but mostly it requires a procedure to relocate the jaw bones.
Live brine shrimp will be tried

Back