Late to the LED party

Reef Bass

colors and textures
I recognized it was time to replace the bulbs in my 48" T5 fixture over my aiptasia farm (hey, at least I beat that damn hair algae!), err, I mean, reef tank. Then I realized that I could just use the still in a box 48" Reed Breeders Photon V2 fixture from my 120 that's not going yet.

I set it up yesterday and am happy with it so far.

Using the default custom program currently.

What are people's thoughts on all night moon lights? That's a change for me from all lights off at night, or while I'm sleeping anyway. Any actual benefit to the corals or just a personal preference? I recall Grant being a huge moon light fan.

Any other variations to the custom schedule that you would recommend?

Thanks.

Tagging along because I'm curious.

BTW Ken do you want to borrow my Filefish? I don't have anymore aiptasia.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I dont know what difference moon lights will make to corals. But there is something to be said for doing things like Mother Nature does as she has perfected it over the existence of earth and there is moon light over the reef at night right? I have found that the closer I can replicate what Mother Nature does, the more likely I am to have success.

Now one aspect of running a moon light I do see is my fish wont spook as bad when the lights come on as its not such a shock to them. When fish are spooked they have a tendency to jump and take a leap of faith and they have a tendency to suddenly dart around the tank and possibly into rock work or tank sides and injure themselves as they are hit with a sudden blast of light. Besides a slight dim blue light in the tank to simulate night time does give you enough light to see what goes on in your tank at night. Sometimes that can be kind cool to observe too.

BTW Ken do you want to borrow my Filefish? I don't have anymore aiptasia.

Thanks for the offer Yuri. How large is it? (bigger is better) I am concerned my Chevron Tang and One Spot Fox Face Rabbit Fish might want to get all up in its bidness.

You gonna sell that t5 fixture,?

Yes. Tek T5. 48" 6 bulb. Decent condition. 2 circuits w/switches - outer bulbs (1 and 6) and inner bulbs (2-5). $50. Petaluma pickup. PM me if interested.

I dont know what difference moon lights will make to corals. But there is something to be said for doing things like Mother Nature does as she has perfected it over the existence of earth and there is moon light over the reef at night right? I have found that the closer I can replicate what Mother Nature does, the more likely I am to have success.

Now one aspect of running a moon light I do see is my fish wont spook as bad when the lights come on as its not such a shock to them. When fish are spooked they have a tendency to jump and take a leap of faith and they have a tendency to suddenly dart around the tank and possibly into rock work or tank sides and injure themselves as they are hit with a sudden blast of light. Besides a slight dim blue light in the tank to simulate night time does give you enough light to see what goes on in your tank at night. Sometimes that can be kind cool to observe too.

Imaexpat2, you make some good points. Thanks for your input. Yes, I would prefer my fish not startle and zoom excitedly around possibly risking injury. And yes, having a wee bit of visibility into the tank is not a bad thing for me. I love the transformation my lps tend to make at night, inflating and extending tentacles.

I am going to play with moon light settings.

Thanks for the offer Yuri. How large is it? (bigger is better) I am concerned my Chevron Tang and One Spot Fox Face Rabbit Fish might want to get all up in its bidness.

I think he is about 2.5" but he can hold his own. I have a bicolor Foxface that's probably 3-3.5" so yours really shouldn't bother him. I'll get you pics when I get home tonight.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Hi Ken
I tried moonlights a while back, but ended up removing them. Now I just have my blue leds ramp down to 1% until 11pm. I really like the look of the leds at night.

Back