Votes: 24 10.2%
  • Macropharyngodon meleagris

Votes: 78 33.1%
  • Macropharyngodon negrosensis

Votes: 29 12.3%
  • Other

Votes: 26 11.0%

• Total voters
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13610498#post13610498 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sigmund
Fuzznutz,

Thanks for the info. Wasn't aware of that....

Well, looks like I was a little off...says "as the need arises", take that as you will ;) This site lists them all, though this is just my gal:

Source

All are born female and change as the need arises. Adult male patterning is more streamlined; having an orange-red body with dark green spots, lines on the head, and a dark 'ear' spot.

Greetings,
I just got my "Blue Star Leopard Wrasse" from DFS (not DD). She stays at the top of the tank and swims around rather than immediately diving for the sand. Is this normal? Thanks in advance.,

"Normal" swimming for a Leopard Wrasse is to constantly forge for food along the rock. As for not shooting into the sand, no biggie.

Well, sadly, the fish died over night after one day. It seemed healthy and ate mysis right out of acclimation. But, it never seemed to hunt like my mandarins or scooter blenny. Any ideas?

I had an Ornate for almost 2 years...ate everything I put in the tank!! Sadly the egg crate fell down one day and he jumped out. =( I ordered 2 Choati this week for the store I work for...so hopefully one of those are coming home with me!! FINGERS CROSSED!!

I just got one today, and it is in qt tank now. Any recommendations on whether to hypo while in qt? I had an ich break out in my dt, and am just finishing an 8 week fallow period. Just want to make sure nothing is brought back in.

Can someone help me get an ID on this guy?
106855leopard-med.JPG

It was sold as a Blue Spot Tamarin wrasse, but I'm not sure that is an actual fish.
In person, it is black on the bottom, white on the top half with bright blue spots all over. No red!!

Note the black tail, and also the fake eye-spot on the rear of the dorsal fin, and the bright blue outline on the ventral fin (bottom)

The on that looks most similar is a Macropharyngodon geoffroyi, but the tail and fins are different:
potters_wrasse007.jpg

Could it be a guinae/geoffroy hybrid? Or just a juvinile color of a more common wrasse?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13843562#post13843562 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mysterybox
can you keep a Leopard Wrasse with an open top? is eggcrate mandatory?

In my opinion, leopard's aren't near as jumpy as other wrasses. When a lot of wrasses stress or are spooked, they jump. When leopard's stress, they dive into the sand.

That being said, ANY fish can jump. It is always best to have some sort of protection on your tank no matter what. I prefer the 1/4" fine netting on a screen frame myself.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13844433#post13844433 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RokleM
In my opinion, leopard's aren't near as jumpy as other wrasses. When a lot of wrasses stress or are spooked, they jump. When leopard's stress, they dive into the sand.

That being said, ANY fish can jump. It is always best to have some sort of protection on your tank no matter what. I prefer the 1/4" fine netting on a screen frame myself.

how do you tack it down?

Macropharyngodon bipartitus

75G tank
100lbs LR
set-up 12/04
4-5"dsb
AquaC EV-180

Aquired September '05 from LiveAquaria. I did not QT, but I did order a bag of feeder shrimp to help him start eating. I put a few of those in two hours after he was introduced. After the Flame Angel ate a few he came out and joined in. He picked his spot to burry himself in the sand every night. He was a great fish. I lost him after 2 years and 7 mos. (June '08). I suspect he dies due to the sandbed being stirred up. I had a sandstorm caused by a PH.
All other fish and corals were fine.

His tank mates were:
A pair of true Perculas
Royal Gramma
Flame Angel
18662June_Pic_s_025-med.jpg

Back