• Macropharyngodon meleagris

Votes: 78 33.1%
  • Macropharyngodon negrosensis

Votes: 29 12.3%
  • Other

Votes: 26 11.0%

• Total voters
tenurepro,
The risk I camE up with is my experience IF MY FISH JUMP OUT TODAY.
Your calculation is meaningless, just as the number you throw out that risk of 1% per day for a fish to jumb out is low.
None of my Leopard wrasse jump out in three years, and they will not jump out becasue of the nature of this particular species.
In order to provide good care for his animals, a reefer must know the species of animals that he keep. I know that my Leopard wrasses will not jump out. I will not add anymore to this topic of Leopard wrasse jump out of tank.

I don't think anyone should say with certainty a fish "will not jump," because as we all know with fish... poop happens. I myself, have a cover. Rimless, coverless tanks are beautiful, so... do as you please, but know that there is always a risk, no matter how slight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we are talking about just leopards, then they are less likely to jump. I've kept close to 20 over the years and not had one on the carpet yet. My potters always seemed to end up in the overflow though. Regardless of probability, I'd not run a tank without a screen.

Here's one for the "experts":
I've had a bipartitus for 3 yrs now, all has been fine.
I introduced a potters & there was a little chasing & dominance assertion( bipartitus ) being the dominant one .
Then after 2 days the bipartitus stays hidden in the sand.
Well now it's been almost 30 days & all I can tell is that she is still buried ( I can see her thru the glass under the tank)
Here's the weird part, she is changing locations under the sand w/ out ever coming out of the sand!
Iv'e seen her buried in one spot, watch the tank for an hr or so & then when I look underneath she's in a different spot.
I know for sure she never appeared above the sand .

My M. bipartitus. She's still getting used to the new environment but she is eating (frozen and pellets) and picking the rocks so I hope she'll do ok.
Her tankmates are spotted mandarin, 2x ocellaris, C. strigosus, G. melanospilos, 2x pseudanthias dispar and priolepis nocturna.
cfe2a1624ebdb9e235920451876455a3.jpg

Enviado desde mi SM-G900F mediante Tapatalk

Do leopard wrasses need an established tank(full of pods) if they are eating frozen?

I would like to QT a potters leopard wrasse, get it eating frozen, then introduce it to a newly setup tank as the first fish.

Anyone think I will have problems with this??

Do leopard wrasses need an established tank(full of pods) if they are eating frozen?

I would like to QT a potters leopard wrasse, get it eating frozen, then introduce it to a newly setup tank as the first fish.

Anyone think I will have problems with this??

Yes!
They have such small stomachs and a high metabolism that they gave to feed constantly. Just because they eat frozen 3-4 times a day doesn't mean it is enough. There are many Companies that you can supply both amphipods and copepods regularly, as well as feeding live black worms....

IME, it took them quite a while to eat prep food. All my Leopards, when first capture, they eat exclusively life food.

Thanks for the info. Thats why it is always good to ask before purchasing. :)

I feed my leopard frozen mysis twice a day and I usually have clams in the half shell in the tank for the fish to graze on, what ever she doesn't get from these food sources she gets from live food

I really considering getting a female
is it 50/50 chances of attacking my crabs, etc???
and are there any good benefits like eating bristle worm, etc?
thanks

I had a female bipartitus who was a model citizen. As best as I could tell she only hunted for pods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have 3 leopard wrasses in my 75. The smallest is a male.

I have had other leopard wrasses and other wrasses jump. They all seem to do it in the late evening when the lights are going down. I use moonlights.

I'm have a rimless tank and I was hesitant to put the cover on it but now I'm going to have to.

That's 5 jumpers this year. Leopard wrasse, coris wrasse, 2 red flasher wrasses, flame angel.

Took me too long to learn my lesson :headwallblue:

I have had other leopard wrasses and other wrasses jump. They all seem to do it in the late evening when the lights are going down. I use moonlights.

I'm have a rimless tank and I was hesitant to put the cover on it but now I'm going to have to.

That's 5 jumpers this year. Leopard wrasse, coris wrasse, 2 red flasher wrasses, flame angel.

Did you really allow five extremely delicate known jumpers to jump out of your tank? It sounds like you researched, but just didn't feel like covering tank?

Ouch! [emoji856]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just got a choati in from live aquaria. It got bumped off the plane so it arrived late. It was supposed to be one day late but I managed to go to the local UPS hub and just wait until the delayed truck arrived and maged to get it around 7pm. I opened the box and it was still alive but looked rough. Got it in my established 40 breeder qt (bare bottom with a large tub of sand in one half) and it just kind of drifted to the bottom and looked pretty listless. After about 30 mins I got restless and picked it up and held it over the sand. It then buried itself. Today when I got home from work I assumed it would be dead but it was actually swimming around at looked perfect. Ate some gut loaded live brine.

Question now is what to treat with for parasites? I've heard mixed reports with prazi on them. Is metro safer?

Eastlake
Are your wrasses mature? Male and females? Mine are just females. It is possible that during spawn/courtship they may swim up to release eggs and sperms and thus jump out of the tank. Leopard wrasse is one species I have not observe spawning behavior in my tank.

I know this is an old post in this thread but I figured I'd let you folks know that I found my meleagris in the overflow again and promptly returned her to the main tank. You were right OrionN, in this instance it was due to spawning rises. Within about twenty seconds of putting her back into the display her and the male potters were back to doing spawning rises, which I guess would explain the potters' strage coloration and racing around the tank lol.

Back