Lets see those steel stands!

Wow! That looks great! What stain did you use?

Thanks! It took longer than I thought it would but I like the end result for sure.
I used Minwax Jacobean stain and 3 coats of Minwax Satin Polycrylic.

Im also making two cabinets (one for each side) that will line up perfectly with the trim piece. They're built, i just need to stain and finish them.

Looking to build a stand to hold my 40 gallon nano I am building. Want a metal stand for magnetic sides and optimal room underneath.

Is 1" square tubing @ .120" walls sufficient?

Thinking of bracing like this with sheet metal triangles in each corner to increase rigidity, excuse the messy sketch compared to the beautiful renderings posted above.
GLGqnTVl.jpg

FishN00b83 - your wood-wrap look fantastic. I have two metal stands to do and no time.

Thank you! I pushed it off for about a year and a half but I just couldn't stand how the tank looked anymore. With our daughter running around and getting into everything I really just said it has to be done now. It took about six weeks but it was worth it. Next up is the kitchen :spin3:

How is everyone sucering the plywood to the top and bottom
If their stands? Also wondering if what you do to seal this plywood, just a basic sealant ?

Looking to build a stand to hold my 40 gallon nano I am building. Want a metal stand for magnetic sides and optimal room underneath.

Is 1" square tubing @ .120" walls sufficient?

Thinking of bracing like this with sheet metal triangles in each corner to increase rigidity, excuse the messy sketch compared to the beautiful renderings posted above.
GLGqnTVl.jpg

Yes, .120 wall will be more than enough. I am building a 3 tier stand that will hold 3-10g on the top, 1-40b in the middle and 3-20g on the bottom. It will be made from 1.5" .063 wall square tubing. Most of the stands on this thread are way, way overbuilt. Overbuilding is very good but I want to save on the weight.
Capture~0.JPG

Great thread! Wish I asked here before ordering my own. Looking for advice if this metal stand is sufficient for a 250 Gal acrylic tank.

Attached picture and my attempt to sketch dimensions on MS Paint.

f6b9e023_250GalMetalFrame.jpeg

2246e9bf_IMG_20170710_172352.jpeg

Last edited:
Revised sketch, didn't have two support bars at bottom of stand in previous sketch.

dad1bd34_250GalMetalFrame-1.jpeg

I'm wondering if I should over-build the stand (add extra support bars) or if structure is already strong enough. Thanks for any advice.

Those openings may be a little big for your tank there, not sure. 30" x 22" with only the ply as support just seems like a bit much. I would probably stick more of the smaller tube to tie them all together and to the ends, splitting the 30" in half.

Two more photos, already spoke to a local welder and sent him these pictures, may have to delay tank setup, but I'd rather play it safe.

1c737679_IMG_20170711_174709.jpeg

7e1492d5_IMG_20170711_175028.jpeg

Whoa, logged in my computer and noticed all the extra large pictures, they were posted from my phone. I don't know why pics were zoomed in so much, maybe I linked wrong size from host website.

My apologies.

Long time reader first post!

I've been reef keeping for about 15 years pretty low maintenance softy tanks.

Fast forward to now we have a 100 gallon display in the living room that's been up for about 5 years. I started from frags and it's doing pretty well could be better.

We just sold our home and bought a new one so we decided to upgrade the display to create a center price in the new home.

So I picked up a 210 gallon 72x24x29 all glass tank for the new home.

Now for the stand I own a metal fabrication facility in Benicia CA that does it all so the skys the limit. I wanted an industrial stand built from all steel no wood cladding.
I'm building the stand out of .188" plate steel with C channel accents across the front.

All the parts are laser cut on our laser. For the sides I cut 1" x.250"slots 2" on center for mounting controllers and equipment.

Apparently I can't add pictures with the low post count so I'll add the pictures as soon as I can add them.

Long time reader first post!

I've been reef keeping for about 15 years pretty low maintenance softy tanks.

Fast forward to now we have a 100 gallon display in the living room that's been up for about 5 years. I started from frags and it's doing pretty well could be better.

We just sold our home and bought a new one so we decided to upgrade the display to create a center price in the new home.

So I picked up a 210 gallon 72x24x29 all glass tank for the new home.

Now for the stand I own a metal fabrication facility in Benicia CA that does it all so the skys the limit. I wanted an industrial stand built from all steel no wood cladding.
I'm building the stand out of .188" plate steel with C channel accents across the front.

All the parts are laser cut on our laser. For the sides I cut 1" x.250"slots 2" on center for mounting controllers and equipment.

This is all work in progress I'll update as it progresses

Hello,
I knew this was an old post but I just got a 190 gallon tank that looks very similar dimensions to the ones you posted. You had posted your new tank and steel tubing stand back in 2015.
Mine is 60"x24"x30"

I'm looking to get a steel frame stand that I can modify and put my own doors/shelves in. There's a local welder who mages cool furniture from square steel tubing and he could make me something that is supportive internally but externally pleasing.
I'd love to look up the specs on that stand, can you share where you bought it/manufacturer name? It looks like one of the upper cross beams is just a flat piece of steel instead of a tube? Seems like a strange decision?

Cheers.

Here is my new build, guided in part from info in this thread. It is a standard 29g display with an identical 29g sump underneath.

IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0612.jpg

It is built to maximize water volume in the small space I have available. The plumbing is all on the left side of the tank so the whole thing can sit tight to the wall. The tanks are offset so that the drain pipes are a straight run down from the overflow box. A superficial skin is made of tongue and groove wood with magnets epoxied in.

IMG_0832.jpg

Herculiner was used to finish the metal and I am happy with the result. It was a long process though, took far longer to cure than indicated in the directions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What an amazing thread to find. Ive been thinking of making a steel stand for my 7x2x2.5 Im looking to have as much open space at the front for sump access (as we all are) Do any of you guys have a design that you have used for a tank of this size?

Back