Lets see those steel stands!

You can probably rent a chop saw. I would imagine it would be worth it... like you said, if you want something done right...

If you have any large plumbing projects coming up, it could be worth buying one. They make cutting PVC a breeze also! :)

Thanks. I like to grind the outside welds flat. Most "Pro" stand makers dont do that. It makes the finish look nice.

This finish was a textured Powder Coating. The texture finish helps hide any little blemishes in the metal. I made one for my basement sump and painted it. Paint looks nice but the powder coating looks a lot nicer.

Weld.jpg

Weldgrind.jpg

Here is a pic of the new stand and cabinet I have been building for my 225g tank. The tank will be viewable from the front and 1 side and will be covered on both the front and back with wood cabinetry as it will be a peninsula style room divider tank

houseplumbing007.jpg

I know, pretty large! But the cabinetry will go from ceiling to floor and all the way around. Just ordered doors for it online, a total of 14, 5 on the front, 1 on the top side, and 8 along the back so I get easy access. there will be nothing but a closed loop pump under the tank as all of the equip will be housed below the tank in the garage where the tank is sitting now, the tank will be directly above the wall you see in the picture. I had the wall placed by a structural engineer to hold a 600g tank, but have decided to go a little bit smaller to get started, I have been at school and haven't had a big tank for some years.

Line-X is the bomb when it comes to coating steel tank stands.

And if you are like me and you stumble across Ken's thread on the the stuff while your stand is out being powder coated you get the added bonus of of dual layer protection.

I never did thank you properly Ken for that added cost :)

23770Stand-2a.jpg

23770Stand_5a.jpg

23770Stand_7a.jpg

23770DSCF0218a.jpg

Regardless, it worked out for the best because my stand's floor and interior walls were already installed when it went out for Line-X so I got a sealed drip tray to contain any small water spills as well as seperate sections so my electornics can be housed away from the sump compartment.

Brett

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11997936#post11997936 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Putawaywet
Line-X is the bomb when it comes to coating steel tank stands.

And if you are like me and you stumble across Ken's thread on the the stuff while your stand is out being powder coated you get the added bonus of of dual layer protection.

I never did thank you properly Ken for that added cost :)
Don't mention it Brett :D

I still need to drop by now that you have the tank up and running.

madmike; Do tell! I was looking (casually) for cabinet doors online and couldn't see any. Where did you find yours?

Very nice all! Just in time, too. I'm starting a 180 build and am still deciding between wood and steel. Does anyone have a pic or description of one (steel) that was used for an in-wall build? My 180 will go into a wall and I would like to see how the stand incorporated into the wall for that nice flush look from the viewable side.

Great thread! Keep it going!!

Well, I purchased my 1.5" steel tubing this afternoon. I ended up purchasing 48 feet, along with 2 cuts (so it would fit in my car :D) and my total bill was $98. I found out that the "chop saw" that my buddy was going to lend me was actually just a carpentry mitre saw with a metal blade on it. Perhaps I will just suck it up and purchase the Harbor Freight saw that was linked above for $60. I didnt realize how thick the 1/8" wall tubing was. WOW.

Im 100% set that I want the truck bed liner sprayed on this puppy when she's done!

Putawaywet... Your stand is very nice with that dual-coat covering! :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11999741#post11999741 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by OldmillXxX
Very nice all! Just in time, too. I'm starting a 180 build and am still deciding between wood and steel. Does anyone have a pic or description of one (steel) that was used for an in-wall build? My 180 will go into a wall and I would like to see how the stand incorporated into the wall for that nice flush look from the viewable side.

Great thread! Keep it going!!
OldmillXxX, I have seen a steel stand build for inwall tanks. The person just offset the legs back to compensate for the thickness of the wall. I'll see if I can find the thread or Pic's for you.

Anti-tipping device in the corner, or just an extra piece of scrap that was missed? We may never know :lol: ! That is what I was thinking, but most wood stands are attached to the wall and some don'e have the inside legs (against the wall). I really like that approach for sturdiness. Any other metal-to-wall stands out there?

Thanks. Again, great thread.

The ledge of the stand actually sits inside of the wall, with the legs against the wall. The picture is just after welding,painting, and top installation.

Piece in the back was just scrap. I think it may have been bolted to the floor too.

MeuserReef; Nice! Moving along aren't we.

1/8" thick? And some of these people are using 3/16". Half again heavier!!

OldmillXxX; A couple of inches of hang over (4-1/2" wall) sure shouldn't cause a tip over hazard.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12001962#post12001962 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kcress
MeuserReef; Nice! Moving along aren't we.

1/8" thick? And some of these people are using 3/16". Half again heavier!!

OldmillXxX; A couple of inches of hang over (4-1/2" wall) sure shouldn't cause a tip over hazard.

Yep :D

I hope to start work on this thing soon. The way I see it.... until I have my 120 stand built... Im stuck with my 30 gallon!

I took the advice to get the thicker tubing because I will be welding it myself and dont want to ruin my materials.

I doubt I will take pictures while building (I always forget or get too involved to try to document along the way) but I will definetly be posting the stand once its finished!

Im about to begin working on my overflow design and will be making a visit to the local plastic supply warehouse to see what kind of goodies they have in the "scrap bin"!

Keep the pictures coming!

Great stands guys! One question, did anybody consider using aluminum instead of steel? If so, why did you go with steel over Al? Price? Is steel easier to work with than aluminum?

thanks,

-avp

You need a special welder for aluminum, much more expensive, or you have to bolt it together.

I do know someone who did his in aluminum, I'll go find a picture for you.

Back