lps torch v sps montipora; which wins?

Sk8r

Staff member
RC Mod
Surprise. The montipora.
Had a creeping contact between the torch and the montipora digitata, which had gone on for days...separated them.
The montipora looks fine, a little scarred about one tip but all growth tissue, no recession, and part of a torch tentacle stuck to its growth end, which is doing fine.
The torch---ok, too, but missing a tentacle tip. Happier to be away from that brutal montipora.

This particular montipora reacted to a common purple discosoma mushroom by recession. Couldn't take that contact. But the torch couldn't really damage it.

Just one of those little tidbits of info on the great superhighway.

That's weird. I was all ready to respond Torch. I saw the handle and said...nah Sk8r isn't really asking this...he knows the Torch will win :)

I do have a theory. Is it possible that in the contact the Torch tentacle broke off which damaged the Torch more than the actual contact did...so in essence, what cloak has just said, "given time, torch."

I think "given time" is probably correct: sps are persistent critters, and can (so I've heard) actually concentrate nematocysts on a side where there's conflict.
But what floored me was the fragility of this coral up against a common mushroom, which most of us consider pretty bland---and its ability to hold out against a coral that can sting US, not to mention its neighbors.

The torch is about 15-20 heads so it's going to take no real damage.

But I do wonder what the deal is---and what the mechanism is. Possibly the torch damages other poofy lps by harpooning them with nematocysts; but that weapon won't work well on a flat-skinned, non-inflated sps; while shrooms exude more of a general nasty chemical from pores on their surface. Just a point of evolutionary curiosity.

The only thing that montipora can offer is shade. A torch needs light...

Different levels.

Back