Mako's 120 Tank Build – Start to Finish (Photo intense)

Mako Shark II

Fish are Friends not Food
My renaissance story: a 120 Gallons of Living Art

After a several-year hiatus, I returned to the hobby with a modest twenty-gallon nano tank, which was given to me by a friend who was moving out of his house. The irony is that this is exactly the same scenario, which caused me to surrender my own 55-gallon salt tank previously several years prior. Thus, the “reef-bug” bit pretty hard, and it was an all-too-familiar itch.

Now, this latest work has become for me, a 120-gallons of “Living Art” which continues to grow and thrive. There isn’t a day that goes by that we don’t interact and study its selfless beauty.

There are many of you in our Club and in other forums on RC, who have inquired about this development; while others of you have actually been hands on and have contributed your tenured knowledge, experiences, opinions, frags(!), moral-support and enthusiasm for this: my latest and largest endeavor in the reef realm.

To those of you (and you know who you are), you have my profound thanks and gratitude. I have met many new friends over the past year through WTMRAC, and I especially would like to lift up my thanks to the staff at Kermit’s Reef, and especially to Andy & Richard from MemFish, for all their on-going support during this endeavor.

This pictorial story-board is dedicated to all of you for your previous consultation, as well as to serve as a humble inspiration to future enthusiasts in this very focused and dedicated hobby as Reef Aquarists.

To start things off, no journey would be complete, unless you knew where we came from. Suffice it to say, the planning (read: obsession) meter has been pegged around the stop for several months prior to any saw-trigger being pulled, or any new water being spilled, so chart your own plan carefully. Here we go:

Here’s the “Before” Shot:
April 12th, 2008. This small but mighty 20g nano ignited the Reef bug, after a seven year hiatus. Now, the challenge was to match the Room's existing finish trim work.
TankTrimmodel7.jpg

Here’s the “AFTER” Shot:
Note the architectural tie-in to the existing trim theme. Ironically, this shot was taken on Oct 12th 2008, six months to the day before the previous pic.

TankFinal029.jpg

This is cheating, but here’s the Final Product:

TankFinal038.jpg

Finished Tank as of 10/6/08:

FinishedProduct003.jpg

FinishedProduct004.jpg

Now………here’s EVERYTHING that happened in-between, starting with locating the Sump and all life-support equipment to an adjacent closet.

It all started with “The Plan!”
Pink = New space added under stairs; Yellow = New 120 Tank. Note the Adjacent Bathroom to the left.

Sumpcloset021.jpg

Here’s the Laundry Room Closet, sans the back of the closet drywall & framing.

Sumpcloset023.jpg

New Sump Closet, post-SAWZALL
(hee, hee, hee........ I'm still Laughing at all the floor space we picked up!)

Sumpcloset003.jpg

New 8-gang GFI Outlets:

SumpCloset30.jpg

New Sump Closet: (Right to Left) Coralife Pure-Flo II RO/DI unit, (not visible: Water Source and Drain from adjacent Bath Lav), Closed Loop Drain Line from display Tank, RO Vat, Salt Vat, Gen-X PCX30 Main Pump, 1/3 HP Chiller.

SumpCloset032.jpg

Remote: Eshoppes 29g Sump w/ Refugium, Octopus TS-150 Skimmer:
SumpCloset9.jpg

Note: Wall mounted Coralvue MH Ballasts under temperature controlled Exhaust Fan. Water Temp is maintained at 78 degrees via 1/3 HP Current Chiller:

SumpCloset2.jpg

May 19th, 2008. Stand Framing per RC DIY forum. (Glued & Screwed)

TankFrame4.jpg

May 30th, 2008. Ready to Spray. Fully trimmed out and caulked to match existing (house interior) style and color scheme. Top plates are ripped 5/4 Wolmanized decking to mitigate potential rot from incidental spills.

TankStand001.jpg

Cost-effective Spray booth was erected for <$40. Stand presently inverted to facilitate coverage of under-side.
TankStand062.jpg

Completed Stand (5 coats):
June 7th, 2008. Five Spray Coats applied: 2 Coats of Exterior Grade KILZ, followed by 3 Coats of Semi-Gloss Oil Based paint by Porter Paints.

TopCoatStand2.jpg

Back of Canopy:
June 13th, 2008. Moving right along, there's been no rest for the weary.

Canopy004.jpg

Canopy Sides:
My recollection of my quote to Richard Rendos: "Dude, I am not buying a $35 Hole Saw to only use two times in my entire Life! Got one???" THANKS!

Canopy007.jpg

Proper Tool for the Proper Job. 'Nuf said. Moving right along.......
Canopy07.jpg

Canopy Back completed
Looking into the Rear Half of the canopy. Wolmanized 1x2's carry the load and minimize contact with the tank frame, to avoid trapped water from spray.

Canopy038.jpg

Canopy Rear trimmed. Identical crown molding matches existing room's 9' ceiling trim.

Canopy046.jpg

Canopy Front trimmed.
June 15th, 2008. Halves were later joined with a special order, 48" Stainless Steel Piano Hinge.

Canopy050.jpg

Canopy Fit Test. Spousal Unit: "OMG!!! It's Huge!"

Canopy054.jpg

Tank Back prep-work. Washed thoroughly inside & out with tap water & a new sponge, the exterior was masked off and wiped down with Windex and a non-woven cloth, then sprayed.
Tankback004.jpg

Tank Back painted. Rustoleum's new Universal (glass adhering) Satin Black (one can) covered and provided three coats.

Tankback025.jpg

June 17th, 2008. Back in the Spray Booth, the two canopy halves and the final trim coat (#6) are applied to the stand. At this point, I'm getting really excited, because it’s starting to look fabulous!

Canopy065.jpg

June 23rd, 2008. Canopy Halves Drying. I am loving the joints. Everything looks professionally finished.

Canopy075.jpg

After the front half was already completed, I later decided to Add a Feeding Door, rather than lifting the front half just for feeding. This would have been so much easier on either the table saw or sliding compound miter saw, but it was actually cut (under duress) using a circular saw!!!!

Canopy069.jpg

Closed Loop design & installation by Richard Rendos of MemFish. Note the prolific use of Union-Ball Valves throughout this installation. A worthy investment that you must consider when plumbing your next build.

NewTank9.jpg

Andy Harvey's design of a Closed Loop Drain standpipe cover. The Interior of the pipe was lined with Gutter-Guard. Rustoleum's Textured Plastic paint facilitates coralline adhesion. Smaller pipes are the front returns in the tank.

DrainPipe.jpg

July 27th, 2008 (“727”!) We're WET! Freshwater Leak test passed! No Leaks! We're So Close!

NewTank.jpg

Aug. 12th, 2008. We're Stocked at this point. The Actual Go-Live date with Live Rock, Live Sand, (aged and existing) Salt Water and eventually fish & coral, was August 8th. 8/8/08 (Mark the Calendar!)

CanopyLights4.jpg

Twin 54 Watt Giesemann T5 Power Chrome Actinics, Ice Cap retro kit, Twin 250 Watt 20,000 XM Metal Halides. (Not shown: 2 each (tank center-brace mounted) Coralife 1 Watt LED Moonlights. I love those things! They're the brightest Moonlights out there, and only One Watt!!)

CanopyLights1.jpg

Canopy Wiring: Typical Heatshrink protection and Stainless hardware throughout.

CanopyLights6.jpg

Dual time controlled 4" Fans come on before & after the MH lights to cool the lamps and canopy interior.

CanopyLights3.jpg

Oct. 12th, 2008 Recent Shot. Canopy Front opens 180 degrees on 48" S/S Piano Hinge, providing great tank access.

TankFinal088.jpg

Canopy & Feeding Door Open. Note LED Lights & Open Feeding Door.

TankFinal073.jpg

Closed Loop & plumbing. Timers control LED's, Actinics, Intake / Exhaust Fans. Oceans Motions 2-way valve provides full 1,090 GPH flow from Coralife Closed Loop pump to one of two return heads mounted high & front of display tank.

TankFinal084.jpg

Plumbing to Sump Closet. Closed Loop return line) connect to the adjacent Sump Closet. Water Changes are pumped off via these lines, and replenishment water is supplied via the RO/Salt vats, located in Sump Closet.

TankFinal080.jpg

The net result is a quiet, cooler installation in the display tank area. Aesthetically, I may eventually build cabinet doors, but not because I need them. It's really quiet!

TankFinal053.jpg

Ocean Moonlight. Goodnight Sweetheart!

MoonlightsBest.jpg

In the end, my “Living Art” continues to be extremely rewarding and inspiring, and I look forward to continuing to writing this story.

More details can be found on-line at:
http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn212/MakoSharkII/?albumview=slideshow

Thanks for stopping by!

Well Marty I am impressed. It really, really looks nice!!!

And I am really impressed with your Stand. I thought I remember a quote from you not long ago that went something like this "why would you DIY when you could just buy it without spending all that time"

How much satisfaction do you get from all of the work that you did yourself??

I am truly impressed it looks real nice, and fits right in with your home> Hope you and your "spousal unit" both enjoy it.

Oh and seeing the photos, I still say you need to send some of those different mushrooms over may way in order to assure all those "high dollar" acans and sps have plenty of room to "grow in" Hell I would even be more than glad to bring some plastic bags and a cooler or two over, just to help you clear out some of that space!!! LOL ><))))*>

LOL! No worries Mate. I'll bring some Saturday. I do need to make some room anyways.

Thanks for your comments Bill! I really apreciate it. It's been a pile of work, but it has it's rewards. Obviously hard work does pay-off.

i love how the reef secretes book is standard in the photos......

now you need to update to a 240 tank. buwahahahahahhahaa.

nice though, really.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13555977#post13555977 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by joeycadre
i love how the reef secretes book is standard in the photos......

now you need to update to a 240 tank. buwahahahahahhahaa.

nice though, really.

Book(s):
Yep, that one's a goodie. Folks should have a copy of that, along with others, like: “A PocketExpert Guide to Marine Fishes: 500+ Essential-To-Know Aquarium Species” by Scott W. Michael & “A PocketExpert Guide to Marine Invertebrates: 500+ Essential-to-Know Aquarium Species” by Ronald L. Shimek.

240:
What are you? Satan!? Don't even go THERE! You don’t even know how many times I thought about that. Do you know how small this 120 got, once I did all this work? At this point, this could easily have been something Bigger! Going to a "Huge" tank is incrementally easier at a certain point. (The Painful part is: Getting to that Certain Point!) But I'm honestly very content with my 120. It's a great shaped tank (propotionately), although a giant cube.......... Hmmmmm....

And Thank you!

WOW!!!!
Just dropped in and saw this thread. GREAT JOB Marty. It doesn't seem like that long ago that I saw you at Memfish with a whole bunch of sketches discussing your idea for a bigger tank and custom tank room. I am thoroughly impressed. Excellent job of documenting the progression of this project. When I finally decide to make the move up I'm going to contract you, Richard, and Andy to DIFM (do it for me). Enjoy your new little slice of ocean reef.
ron

Hey there Ron!

Yes, I recall our discussion over at MemFish. No worries! I'd love to help. This process has definately sharpened me up a bit, and the creative juices overflowed this project.

Now the NEXT one......!

P.S. - My overseeding says "Thanks for the Rain". Say Hi to Dave.

OMFG! Marty, I had no idea that your project was gonna be this nice! Excellent work! I could faun over your project some more but that would bring into question my masculinity, and i just cant have that now can I?
Did you do finnish carpentry at one point? that stand and canopy are immaculate!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13555345#post13555345 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mako Shark II
Canopy Fit Test. Spousal Unit: "OMG!!! It's Huge!"

Ok, since no one else said it already, I can't stand it. I get that statement from my "spousal unit" all the time. Ha, ha, ha, just kidding, couldn't resist that one.

The tank, stand, canopy, and everything put together looks fantastic. Really good looking craftsmanship. You said it right when you said it turned out looking very professional. Great Job!!

(Blushing) Thanks Guys!

Yeah, I really had a lot of fun, once I got past the initial hurdles of forecasted expen$e and head-scratching, as to How¨ all the pieces of the puzzle would finally all fit together, remotely. That excitement built momentum and kept me going. There were a LOT of late nights, in 90+ degree heat. (Remember this past Summer????)

Like I said, I had a lot of good help from you folks here. Also the D.I.Y. Forum was great. I hung out there quite a bit, but I¡¦ve brought some of those folks back to our site to check out the entire build.

Yes Barrett, I've done some finish carpentry work. (My Dad was a commercial General Contractors Superintendent. THey built some pretty cool stuff. Had I not gone in to Aviation, I would have gone in Architecture, but the market wasn't great back then. Kinda like now. :) My older Brother is still a fine trim carpenter.

My buddy has a better Shop than mine, so everything was cut at his place, then moved, assembled, finished and spayed at mine. He has an oversized tablesaw and an awesome 12" Bosch 200 tooth, Laser-sighted, sliding compound miter saw. Au, Au, AHHH!!! (Tim Allen Grunt!)

I could take .015" of an inch of something if I needed to. Seriously. And in a prior life, I used to paint airplanes, so I'm pretty comfortable with a spray-gun in my hand.

Seriously, there was some other Tooling expense incurred, but nothing compared to the savings, quality and satisfaction of doing it myself.

And Yes Ryan, that was my thought too, but the personal restraint I exhibited was tremendous. Thanks for noticing, but those were her exact words!

Really nice work Marty, The whole setup is AWESOME!! You can see the hard work and love that was put into everything that you did. Reef On

Vicki & Glover, thanks.

BUMP: (Wanna see this Tank?)

We didn't discuss this on Saturday at the Club meeting, but what does the meeting Schedule look like for WTMRAC? http://www.wtmrac.org/

I wouldn't mind hosting a future meeting at my place to show off this final product. The Theme I want to host is on Photography, and I also want to invite Richard Rendos to talk about Techniques & Photo Equipment.

Back