marine magic dosing pump review

Saw this thread popup and I wanted to update my experience.

Everything has been working well, for the most part. I had some issues a few weeks ago with high alk and low cal. I didn't know why. When I went to test my pumps, the cal pump was turning on, as in I could see the little metal pin in the middle spinning, but it wasn't engaging the rollers. I held the back of the housing with my fingers and pressed the motor into the housing with my thumbs and the rollers engaged. Has been fine ever since. So I had a hiccup where no cal was being dosed, which is a pretty big deal, but the motors were still working to a degree. Not sure what actually caused this, but figured I'd throw that out there. It might be worth while to manually check your pumps once a week or so to make sure they are actually dosing.

Looking at ordering one of these and I would like to get the 1+1 version so I can have the built in battery backup but am I limited to only two pumps with this version? Or can I add on a second slave pump giving me three total pumps? (1 master controlling 2 slaves)

Edit: also if you are running the 3 pump unit that does not have the battery backup what ups are you using on it?

Last edited:
I have used an APC 750VA UPS for a few years to back up my power heads. The MM 3 pump unit is now connected to it also and has already kept it running during a few electric flickers this past month.

Looking at ordering one of these and I would like to get the 1+1 version so I can have the built in battery backup but am I limited to only two pumps with this version? Or can I add on a second slave pump giving me three total pumps? (1 master controlling 2 slaves)

Edit: also if you are running the 3 pump unit that does not have the battery backup what ups are you using on it?

I believe the slave unit has an output to connect another pump, but the master pump only has the ability to control pumps A and B.

It's been awhile since I read on this thread, but are ppl still having slight problems with the units slowly loosing time and becoming in accurate?
Corey

That shouldn't matter too much. It's all relative. If its 12:05 and the clock reads 12:10, it's still going to dose for X amount of time in Y intervals per your programming.

I thought that what was happening was it was effecting dosing? Like it should dose for 30 seconds, then it slowly went to 31,32,32....etc
Maybe I misunderstood
Corey

Hmm that's weird. So there would be no way to control pump c if it was plugged into the slave pump?

With the controller that comes with it, no. I think it may have the plug because they use the same housings to make the parts cheaper. Just a guess. You could build your own controller for it though. I am planning to eventually tear mine open (or buy extra pumps) and connect them to my controller build, so I can easily program/dose from my web app.

I thought that what was happening was it was effecting dosing? Like it should dose for 30 seconds, then it slowly went to 31,32,32....etc
Maybe I misunderstood
Corey

I don't think clocks lose time in that fashion. They may not be 100% accurate, meaning they don't count milliseconds atomically, but the rate at which they count should stay consistent over time. It is the accumulation of this minute difference in milliseconds that adds up over weeks/months to make the clock off by minutes.

do you guys use any grease or lubricate on the rollers? the black powder keeps coming out of there because of the friction.

I think you don't want to put any lubricant on the rollers. There won't be any friction to turn the rollers. The metal pin will just spin.

He is saying that WITH lubricant there will be no friction, meaning the pin won't spin. Without lubricant there is friction, thus the pin spins, thus the black powder.

Yes. Sorry. That is what I meant. The black powder is probably the silicone tube breaking down. I had to change my calcium tube. Might have been running on too fast a speed. Slower longer times might be better. Noticed the tube getting thinner and stretched out then stopped working. I Ordered a spare 3' tube from the manufacturer. I think it was $5 or so. There is also a US supplier that makes a hose that fits. Not sure if its listed in this thread. Looks a little different size. Will see if it works.

So.... in everynes experience.... Is it worth it? Do they hold up well? should i buy one or save up for the ferrari? wich is almost 3x more ....

What precautions or Preventions should i take with the unit? I see some have troubles with friction and maybee to pre-grease or maintain this aspect could be vital. What lubricant should be used and where?

Thanks Guys :p

You can't beat it for the price. I run one and it works great. Programing is a bit tedious though. Also one of the heads squeeks a bit. Other than that it works as it should and keeps my parameters steady. It has made me lazy, but I hardly blame the device.

I am trying to prgram mine for the 1st time and I get my program set for a and b (c not being used) I have A running for 50 seconds every 2 hours (even). and B running every two hours for 50 seconds (odd). I hit save enough to get back to the main screen, then select timer. The problem is, it only shows the setting I have for 16:00 Hours for A and 23:00 hours for B. Then I go back in to adjust the settings and everything is zeroed out up till a9 and B9... any one know what I am doing wrong? I've read through the instructions probably enough to start speaking in broken English with a Chinese Accent. :lmao: Help Please?! Thank you!! :debi:

You have to save each page. For example, enter the first four time for A, then hit save to go to the next four times. 1234 save. 5678 save. 9101112 save. 13141516 save. When you enter timer mode, it displays the next time each pump will activate.

Back