MARINECRITTERS Redsea Reefer 350

MARINECRITTERS

This is a build thread for my new Redsea Reefer 350.
The plan is to have it SPS dominated with a few eye catching LPS and softies. It will be a relatively low nutrient system as I am carbon dosing with bio pellets; the tank will be fed adequately.

Here we go :)

I started the tank with dry fiji reef rock; I chose this rock due to its aesthetic yet natural appearance.
The aquascape is somewhat minimalistic and very open.
IMG_6201_zpsyl3wklfm.jpg

The tank is lit with two Radion XR30w pros (G3's). I used their RMS kit to mount them.
IMG_6202_zps0l66lij9.jpg

The flow is provided by a Vortech MP40 quiet drive and a tune silence 1073.050
I am still debating on whether or not I need another Vortech
IMG_6203_zpsimkxbkyd.jpg

I have everything (except my lights) hooked up to a neptune apex. Still some minor cable management to do.
IMG_6204_zpsmucelmdo.jpg

I am running a vertex omega 130 protein skimmer; I had to make an acrylic stand to raise it up a few inches though, the sumps on these tanks are surprisingly deep. The bio pellet reactor is made by reef dynamics; it is directly plumbed into the intake of my skimmer.
IMG_6205_zpsxsrz2n8y.jpg

IMG_0004_zpsrmmkgz8f.jpg

I will be dosing three part as soon as I start adding corals. I have three 1.1 ml/min peristaltic dosing pumps that I will configure with the apex.
IMG_6211_zps9ksew8eh.jpg

Where did you get the platform for the skimmer?

Where did you get the platform for the skimmer?

I have a reefer 450 and a vertex omega 150 and need a similar stand for the skimmer. Did you make that yourself?

this is how I would get divorced. my wife would murder me if I had this setup...but damn'd if I don't want it!

I'll probably end up with a CAD Lights setup. risky, but might be more doable when it comes time to upgrade. Love your build, Ill be watching.

Looks great man, can't wait to see her up n running. I had a vertex 150, best skimmer ever, good choice.

What dosing pumps are these?

76df4cd6f4add1f355803570391326af.jpg

Little update.
The tank has been cycling for almost 3 weeks now (the dry rock was curing/cycling in a brute container for an extra 4 weeks) and I believe the cycle is near completion.
I have been feeding one silver side each week to kickstart biological processes and now the ammonia and nitrate is at 0.
I have also been using Brightwell Aquatics Microbacter.

IMG_6219_zpsydshhkjy.jpg

Very nice setup! I have the same setup with same skimmer. I love the skimmer, but man was it hard to get broken in! I am trying to do a build thread as well but for some reason the forum errors out when I try to add pictures... any ideas? Beautiful setup by the way!

Update!
Managed to pick up a couple nice pieces and some starter fish.

This green carpet anemone was worth the risk in my opinion; the majority of the fish I plan on adding are quite active so they should be safe.
IMG_6255_zpsntep6ubs.jpg

I also picked up some species of gorgonian/sea fan. I know its NPS and I will be reading 2-3 times a week.
IMG_6253_zpscfiujqh9.jpg

Also bought a pair of grade A picasso clowns
IMG_6237_zps2uszgflx.jpg

I'm experimenting with zeovits new line of automatic tabs; ill swap out these amino acid tabs every 3-4 months
IMG_6262_zpsm5zzxodw.jpg

I might end up using this tune 6020 behind the rock work if necessary.
IMG_6264_zps0bguw6zc.jpg

Lots of coral frags arrived today!
Current tank chemistry: Alk-7.36DKH, Ca-420PPM, Mg-1350PPM
I am keeping my alkalinity low to prevent stn/rtn while running bio pellets

IMG_6267_zps1mloppgm.jpg

Back