Mars Aqua Chinese LED review (Ebay)

Iv been using the Mara aqua 165w since February and everything is doing great. I have soft and LPS. My question is does anyone know if they will support sps? And im also wanting to try a clam, does anyone have a clam under these lights or know if a clam would work? Thanks

Any updates? Ordering one to put on my Biocube 29 finally. The stock PCs have somehow kept a BTA and maxima for over 2 years. Hoping these LEDs will be better. I'm ready to add lots of LPS.

Anyone have an idea about what intensity I should put my 2 300w units at? They're over my 265g softy and lps tank. It is 30" deep so I'm thinking about just running them at 100%. Thanks

I've been away from RC for a long time (like 9 months) but you guys are dealing with leds like they are something new. EverGrow, ReefBreeders, ReefRadiance and OceanRevive have been selling fixtures like these for almost 3 years now. Yes, they are a bit more expensive in some cases, but there are reasons (see below). The MarsAqua fixtures look pretty good and are priced to sell. Nothing wrong with that. Just be aware they won't last 10 years like so many led users say they will. Well, the leds will, but the drivers, dimmers, screws and such probably won't. I've seen cheap led fixtures that look just like these rust away in 3 to 4 years years if they aren't cared for and maintained.

There is a huge "Chinese LEDs" thread here on RC and you can learn everything you could want to know. I've had 2 of the 32" 99 leds, with built in controller for over 30 months now. I've had zero issues and they still are running at 90% blue and 50% white for just 4 hours a day. They ramp up for 5 hours and back down again for 5 hours. It's a mixed reef and the corals grow just as well as they did under MH & t5... and they look better. PAR levels have fallen a bit over that time, but not much. And they have paid for themselves in less than 2 years in electricity (fixture usage, less run time on chillers as well as house A/C) and bulbs.

Fan noise was a problem on early inexpensive fixtures, but all the suppliers I listed had the factory upgrade fans and they run VERY quiet. I'm assuming MarsAqua is selling them for slightly less because they still use cheaper fans and maybe some other less expensive parts. I haven't seen one of the MarsAqua fixtures and I wonder, do they have 'real' heat sinks or just a sheet of aluminum? That was another upgrade the suppliers I listed have made. My newer fixtures (18 months old) run so cool the air blowing out the top of the fixture is only 5 degrees above room temperature.

Also, water evaporation/high humidity is an issue inside these fixtures over time. Some/many of the screws are not stainless steel or are poor quality stainless and do rust. I had cheap units by another supplier back 3 years ago and they began to fail after 6 months over my tank and another 6 months relegated to working over my refugium because I switched to fixtures with controllers built in for over the tanks. Hanging them as high off the water as you can will help reduce rust issues. Also taking them down and blasting air through them with a vacuum or shop vac or canned air every 3 to 6 months will help. It will remove built up dust from inside the case which also collects and holds moisture contributing to the rust issue.

Hope that helps? Oh, BTW, I'd never go back to MH. LEDs are the way to go, they just aren't perfect.

Last edited:
Who has a 300 wt one on their tank? Does it have 1 power cord or 2?
Also what depth is your tank and what intensity are u running it at?
Thanks

Update on my Ocean Revive 165watt LEDs: im glad to hear my research and luck on amazon held on this. Thanks for the long post on LED comparison. My Ocean Revive are only up to about 20% whites and blues, ive got stylos and acros extended, coloring up and growing nicely at about 15" even with the low output. Im still ramping up slowly, but excited that i can keep zoas, acans, and acros at the same depth...who knew?

I have a 210 72x72x24x29 deep. I was thinking of getting either 2 of the 300watt or 6 of the 165 watt. They will be hung about 7 inches off the water. Which do you think would be better? I am starting to grow sps on the top, Lps mid, and lps and zoas low.

Last edited:
I have a 210 72x72x24x29 deep. I was thinking of getting either 2 of the 300watt or 6 of the 165 watt. They will be hung about 7 inches off the water. Which do you think would be better? I am starting to grow sps on the top, Lps mid, and lps and zoas low.

From 2 @ 300w to 6 @ 165w is a pretty big jump. The 165s cover a 24"x24x24" and the 300s will cover about 36x24x24. No matter what you do you will be a little short for depth but the lights will spread well enough. 2 @ 300w or 3 @ 165w should cover well enough.

Maybe I missed it but does anyone know if the optics are 60 or 90 ?

Also any suggestions on height for one 165w unit over a 17 gallon 14" high tank ?

Thanks

Most of the units have 90° optics unless otherwise noted. As for height, I would say 10" but it may differ for you.

I used 3 on my 180g with t5 retro running 2 ATI aquablue special. I figured whatever spectrum was missing with led would be covered by t5. Reflectors are short because they were pulled from 48" light. There is little sps because tank is only couple months old. I might expand to 2 t5's on either side in the future. Here's a pic...

9de9648fc81017c4e240a13bd4cee140.jpg
254475948463a2be45b7f46d5dd46968.jpg

I used 3 on my 180g with t5 retro running 2 ATI aquablue special. I figured whatever spectrum was missing with led would be covered by t5. Reflectors are short because they were pulled from 48" light, and there is little sps because rank is only couple months old. Here's a pic...

9de9648fc81017c4e240a13bd4cee140.jpg
254475948463a2be45b7f46d5dd46968.jpg

Looks good Randy! Let us know how it goes!

I've been away from RC for a long time (like 9 months) but you guys are dealing with leds like they are something new. EverGrow, ReefBreeders, ReefRadiance and OceanRevive have been selling fixtures like these for almost 3 years now. Yes, they are a bit more expensive in some cases, but there are reasons (see below). The MarsAqua fixtures look pretty good and are priced to sell. Nothing wrong with that. Just be aware they won't last 10 years like so many led users say they will. Well, the leds will, but the drivers, dimmers, screws and such probably won't. I've seen cheap led fixtures that look just like these rust away in 3 to 4 years years if they aren't cared for and maintained.

There is a huge "Chinese LEDs" thread here on RC and you can learn everything you could want to know. I've had 2 of the 32" 99 leds, with built in controller for over 30 months now. I've had zero issues and they still are running at 90% blue and 50% white for just 4 hours a day. They ramp up for 5 hours and back down again for 5 hours. It's a mixed reef and the corals grow just as well as they did under MH & t5... and they look better. PAR levels have fallen a bit over that time, but not much. And they have paid for themselves in less than 2 years in electricity (fixture usage, less run time on chillers as well as house A/C) and bulbs.

Fan noise was a problem on early inexpensive fixtures, but all the suppliers I listed had the factory upgrade fans and they run VERY quiet. I'm assuming MarsAqua is selling them for slightly less because they still use cheaper fans and maybe some other less expensive parts. I haven't seen one of the MarsAqua fixtures and I wonder, do they have 'real' heat sinks or just a sheet of aluminum? That was another upgrade the suppliers I listed have made. My newer fixtures (18 months old) run so cool the air blowing out the top of the fixture is only 5 degrees above room temperature.

Also, water evaporation/high humidity is an issue inside these fixtures over time. Some/many of the screws are not stainless steel or are poor quality stainless and do rust. I had cheap units by another supplier back 3 years ago and they began to fail after 6 months over my tank and another 6 months relegated to working over my refugium because I switched to fixtures with controllers built in for over the tanks. Hanging them as high off the water as you can will help reduce rust issues. Also taking them down and blasting air through them with a vacuum or shop vac or canned air every 3 to 6 months will help. It will remove built up dust from inside the case which also collects and holds moisture contributing to the rust issue.

Hope that helps? Oh, BTW, I'd never go back to MH. LEDs are the way to go, they just aren't perfect.

Some good info.

On the points of the pitfalls of the cheaper eBay boxes I would add:

#1 The last two eBay boxes I have purchased (AquaStar) have been extremely quiet with very good fans.

#2 You really shouldn't ever have to be concerned with rust if your hanging your lights at the proper height to utilize optics.

#3 Yes, the don't have "real" heatsinks. They simply have a piece of aluminum to disperse the heat.

#4 The potential problems in the future are kind of a mute point given how cheap parts are to replace anything that fails (drivers ~$20, led dies $0.15-0.35/ea, etc)

:wavehand:

Hi guys, I have a 125G mixed reef with no so standard dimensions (60 x 18 x 24). what would be the best way to go? 2x300w (maybe at slight angles) or 3x165w? Also I will most likely supplement with 2
t5's. Does anyone have any suggestions for single t5's fixtures that I could place on both sides of the LEDs?

Hi guys, I have a 125G mixed reef with no so standard dimensions (60 x 18 x 24). what would be the best way to go? 2x300w (maybe at slight angles) or 3x165w? Also I will most likely supplement with 2

t5's. Does anyone have any suggestions for single t5's fixtures that I could place on both sides of the LEDs?

I would go with 2 300w units. No help on the t5s though, sorry

LET T5 retro kits are the best (ati ballasts - HEP, and ati reflectors).

Back