Mars Aqua Chinese LED review (Ebay)

How hard is it to change out the 3500k to something in the 10k range? My tank will be 43" tall, so I will most likely be running the whites at a high %.

Just put my MarsAqua up yesterday, made brackets out of 1"Aluminum Rectangle Tube. The ligths are 14" above the water line.........wish the dail had an dial indicator....dont have a par meter............how is everyone doing the % setting on the on the dial.....
20150831_103623_zpsjz0fgnb9.jpg

Last edited:
How do you take off the optics on these lights? I'm getting a lot of shadowing and its frying my montipora a bit even at the lowest setting.

How do you take off the optics on these lights? I'm getting a lot of shadowing and its frying my montipora a bit even at the lowest setting.

Even after removing the optics you may need to acclimate your monti for a bit. Take a piece of window screen and put it over the area above it to dim the light a bit until he adjusts... But definitely remove the optics if your getting shadowing on the sides.

Just put my MarsAqua up yesterday, made brackets out of 1"Aluminum Rectangle Tube. The ligths are 14" above the water line.........wish the dail had an dial indicator....dont have a par meter............how is everyone doing the % setting on the on the dial.....
20150831_103623_zpsjz0fgnb9.jpg

Well...this might be what i need to do. Did u drill it to the back of the stand? The brackets i mean. That may well be the route i go.
More details. You spray painted black right?

I have had mine for a year. THEY WORK WELL. My tank is a 220G with only three overhead and my sps are doing very well. The ones I have on the sand bottome are sooo colorful though grow just a bit slower the color is amazing. No complaints.

I have had mine for a year. THEY WORK WELL. My tank is a 220G with only three overhead and my sps are doing very well. The ones I have on the sand bottome are sooo colorful though grow just a bit slower the color is amazing. No complaints.

Thanks for this update!!

Does anybody know what the angle of the light comes out too with the optics off? Would putting 120 degree optics on help to spread my light or would it concentrate it more than no optics?

I would not like Mars Aqua led lights,too much warm white leds,no uv or violet on white channel,I would like 14k whites and add 2 violet leds on white channel,my corals are happy when I run new light AURORA Timer-165w

Every testimony of these lights in use show happy coral with great color and growth. And as for the quote concerning UL certification (brought back from very early in this thread) my unit and many others are certified but even if they were not neither are any DIY LED setups... These lights are great and should be a strong consideration for every reefer trying not to break the bank, knowing that funds will be poured out in another direction anyway

Every testimony of these lights in use show happy coral with great color and growth. And as for the quote concerning UL certification (brought back from very early in this thread) my unit and many others are certified but even if they were not neither are any DIY LED setups... These lights are great and should be a strong consideration for every reefer trying not to break the bank, knowing that funds will be poured out in another direction anyway
People who talk bad about the chinese led black box are full of it....they work great and grow anything.

People who talk bad about the chinese led black box are full of it....they work great and grow anything.

Agreed! At a fraction of the cost too! Now, I understand some people desiring different light color but LEDs are easy enough to swap out that this should not be a problem either.

Recently bought one of these to hang over a garage frag tank. It will be interesting to see how well it does.

Quick question, my frag tank is 36"x24" with a water depth of 10". I'm thinking of removing the optics to increase the spread, especially since I won't need much PAR with a 10" deep tank.

Is the single fixture enough to do this tank? I can raise it up quite a bit if needed.

I'm very new to LED's so sorta clueless on this

Quick question, my frag tank is 36"x24" with a water depth of 10". I'm thinking of removing the optics to increase the spread, especially since I won't need much PAR with a 10" deep tank.

Is the single fixture enough to do this tank? I can raise it up quite a bit if needed.

I'm very new to LED's so sorta clueless on this

The 165w unit will cover that spread with the optics off.

Back