Melev's new 280g Starfire tank thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My thoughts are the same as Gabriels. I wonder if a quick freshwater dip would flush these guys out? Or maybe the dip you're using for AEFW's?

Phil

That is just a specimen cup from Dave. He sent me home with a frag of something last year, and the cup was handy. When I took some water over yesterday to test my nitrate with his kits, we used that cup. And I came home with another frag. :D When I had the worm in the sink, I needed something to put it in, and there was that cup again.

I've not tried anything on these worms to see if they react to different stuff (fresh water, various meds). I can tell you this though, I had one in a cup of tank water for 3 weeks sitting on the window sill and the worm was still alive. When I threw the cup away (after pouring out the water), someone stopped by that evening and I dug it out of the trash to show him that worm. It was still moving in an empty dry cup.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13114701#post13114701 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
That is just a specimen cup from Dave. He sent me home with a frag of something last year, and the cup was handy. When I took some water over yesterday to test my nitrate with his kits, we used that cup. And I came home with another frag. :D When I had the worm in the sink, I needed something to put it in, and there was that cup again.

I've not tried anything on these worms to see if they react to different stuff (fresh water, various meds). I can tell you this though, I had one in a cup of tank water for 3 weeks sitting on the window sill and the worm was still alive. When I threw the cup away (after pouring out the water), someone stopped by that evening and I dug it out of the trash to show him that worm. It was still moving in an empty dry cup.

Nasty. They sound worse than those cucarachas!

I wonder if those worms would be affected by high PH, and high Alk... Something like a vat of saturated limewater... You could try it next time you catch one... I don't know how a coral would react to a quick dip in saturated limewater, so it might not even be an option... If it was though, and the worms could not take it, then that would be cool to know, in case any of us ever get them

If lime water did work, maybe it could be squirted into a hole that one was hiding in to flush it out in the open.

Phil

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13115495#post13115495 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kar93
I wouldn't try. Ever seen Evolution! :lol:

A great film. :eek1:

The worms do seem to have post-apocalyptic characteristics.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13118351#post13118351 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
:lol: I'm going to think about a good way to get you back for that one. :hammer:

:D Sorry Marc, just couldn't resist that one. :smokin:

Phil

I just received a new skimmer that is being offered by Red Sea. It is the C-Skim 1200.

cskim_box.jpg

When I heard about it a couple of weeks ago, I did a search on the web and found this link. I'd been told the only info there was would be on German websites, but this looks like Americun to me. :D

http://www.redseafish.com/c-skim.asp

I plan to run it along with my Euro-reef CS-12. From the site, it is really suited for a smaller reef tank, but only time will tell. The ratings are listed on that page above.

I know you don't use ozone, but is it compatible as is the Berlin? I did not see it any where in the link.

I read the booklet, but didn't see any mention of ozone, sorry. You'll have to contact them directly.

I've got it assembled and looked at its construction, but still have to get a small pump to feed it. This is a recirculating skimmer. It has a cup wash built in, which you turn on each day for a few seconds, then set it back to its normal setting.

When it is time to remove the collection cup, you can change its flow to a third setting, so it doesn't have to be turned off.

Here are a few more pictures.

cskim_impellar.jpg

cskim_pump.jpg

cskim_assembled.jpg

Looks and sounds like a good skimmer. Maybe it will lower those Nitrates along with the Euro-Reef? I like the sound of the "Cup Wash". Is that the same as what is offered with the Bubble King?

No, because you have to do it yourself. You twist a handle from skim to wash, wait a bit, then switch it back to skim.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13118799#post13118799 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
I just received a new skimmer that is being offered by Red Sea. It is the C-Skim 1200.

Hopefully it will work better than their prism line...

what made you decide to try this one out?

That is an odd looking skimmer, it looks like they took a canister filter and added a skimmer cup to the top...

wow that skimmer looks intresting. the only thing I noticed and don't care for it the return line. is there a way to adjust it or such?

I know you put your skimmers in the sump so you won't have a problem with it. but for ppl that run it beside their tank or such, it looks like a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back