Melev's new 280g Starfire tank thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13134992#post13134992 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JessyCat77
Does no one else have an issue with marc keeping this worm until it started to rot? :eek: Why on this earth wouldn't you have taken it and flushed it immediately? Do you kill spiders and let them sit on the counter for hours just so you can observe the carcass?

One word marc...sick...

Real sick. :lol:

It didn't live two days, compared to the last one that survived 3 weeks on the window sill.
devilfire.gif

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13135583#post13135583 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
compared to the last one that survived 3 weeks on the window sill.
devilfire.gif
Pics or it didn't happen

I guess it didn't happen. That worm was discussed recently, including when I pulled it out of the trash in a dry cup still squirming.

gees, you stop reading this thread for a day or two and you miss all the cool stuff.... i seem to show up on days when you complain about your internet speed or your air conditioning unit gets replaced...::snore::

Uh, I mean, Very interesting thread you've got going here marc! I read it everyday!!!

;)

Here's a brief (11 meg) video of the spawning event.

http://melevsreef.com/video/bta_spawn08.wmv (Right Click & Save As to your harddrive, please)

Here are a few pictures that came out. First of all, the tank was cloudy.

bta_spawn_in_tank.jpg

You can almost make out the cloudy stuff coming out in these two pictures.

bta_spawn1.jpg

bta_spawn2.jpg

I liked this picture because the clown was so pretty. This is the male, and he is over 5 years old. He's a tank raised Ocellaris. These pictures were taken with a flash, so the colors are a bit off.

ocellaris_5yrold.jpg

Nice pics and video.

Don't you hate it when your reef is apparently having much more fun than you are?

Last night I got the skimmer installed. I moved everything in the prop section to the back to create an empty spot for the C-Skim 1200. Having a light fixture that rolls back out of my way turned out to be handy yet again. The light is over all those corals behind the skimmer. :)

Here it is in relation to the entire sump. It's been running about 17 hours.

cskim_in_sump.jpg

I don't like the Eheim type of tubing connection they use. You press on some 1/2" tubing (I had some on hand), then screw down a fitting to grip it. It was better for me to just remove that plastic fitting and press the tubing on much further to get a good grip.

cskim_tubing_connection.jpg

The output type is much too loose. I don't know why it is like that, or if I just got a flimsy one. I used some spare LR rubbble to lift up the tube at an angle. I wanted to point the output toward the furthest point away from the return pump.

cskim_output.jpg

You can view how it is skimming through the little window. The top 1/2" looks dirtier than the foam beneath it.

cskim_viewing_panel.jpg

Here's the foam with the lid off. It still has to rise higher to collect in the cup, but with all the parts being new, I figured I'd just let it break in for a while.

cskim_skimmate.jpg

I did try the carwash function, which is kinda neat. The handle on the left of the skimmer has three positions. The main position has a plastic bump that you 'click' past to change positions. I'd prefer if it didn't have those bumps, but perhaps this valve gets more flexible in time and wouldn't stay in that position otherwise. Time will tell.

One person asked what kind of pump it uses. It says Red Sea on it, but I didn't pull it off to read the label closely. Once installed, it isn't an easy read.

Feeding the skimmer with a MaxiJet 1200, I have to close the output valve quite a bit to get the water level up. One thing I noticed is that even if you have that valve turned 90 degrees, water still comes out. The output can't be completely closed off, which isn't important but perhaps interesting to some. Also, you must have a hose clamp on the tubing where it connects to the MaxiJet's output nozzle. If you buy this skimmer, you'll need a feed pump that moves 300 to 400gph, some 1/2" tubing and hose clamps.

So that's what I know so far.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13134992#post13134992 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JessyCat77
Does no one else have an issue with marc keeping this worm until it started to rot? :eek: Why on this earth wouldn't you have taken it and flushed it immediately? Do you kill spiders and let them sit on the counter for hours just so you can observe the carcass?

One word marc...sick...

Real sick. :lol:

:lol: I would have "disposed" of that thing ASAP... preferably in the garbage disposal that Marc had it strategically placed beside in the most recent pictures... ;) Those things don't deserve the mercy of even wasting away in a garbage can. :uzi: :hammer:

When I turn off the return pump to feed my tank, it raises the water level in the propagation/return section.

The new skimmer didn't like the additional 2.5" water depth, and the cup filled up quickly. Oops. Guess it needs a cute acrylic stand.

Another RC member just did a trade with me for a brand new Dart Pump. Woohoo - it'll be here in a couple of days.

That new skimmer looks promising. I'm curious to see how it does as it looks like a good candidate to upgrade from my backpak.

Phil

It'll be tough to judge how well the skimmer performs in your sump Marc. Your huge EuroReef pulls everything out of the water before it even reaches the Red Sea. At this point, I'm surprised the new skimmer has even formed a foam head. :D

I really like the "cup wash" feature, that's something I need to see in action. Any chance of getting a vid posted of that gadget?

Marc

2 questions: I am loosing some sps corals. Nothing seems to be out of "normal" as far as water parameters. But one possibility is my skimmer is not doing its job. I have read that ricordias don't typically thrive when sps are doing well. My ricordias are incredible. Some seem to be the same size of small saucers. 4" to 5" across. So maybe my water is too dirty.

So the question is I have around 600 gallons of water. What are the best options in your opinion for skimmers that would allow for "sps clean water" with a decent fish load? Bubble King, Deltec, Volcano?

Second question is my ro unit is showing some tds. -around 20. How long should a new unit last before the membrane needs to be replaced?

Thanks in advance,
Bart

600g of water - that's going to be one big skimmer. Or perhaps two medium sized ones would work better for you. You didn't say what skimmer you are using currently, nor what it is or isn't doing.

Regarding RO questions, let's talk about that via email. I'll need to know more specifics to determine what is going on. melev@swbell.net

I have a pretty large "diy" skimmer. There was a guy that used to talk with Scott (Spazz) that made this skimmer for his tank, but it was too big?? But for mine it hardly skims anything? What it takes out each week, I think should be daily. It is external and I don't have any way of using a "in-tank" skimmer, it would have to be external.

Bart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back