Most efficient way of increasing evaporation

andrewey

Does anyone have an idea as to what the most efficient method of increasing evaporation would be (most evaporation per watt)? I didn't know if this was common knowledge or if anyone had any ideas (cooling fans across the water surface, towards the water surface, powerheads breaking the water surface, etc.) If nothing else, does anyone have an idea as to whether a cooling fan or a powerhead breaking the surface of the water (where power consumption is the same) would be more effective?

ilgxgsnBn8y1iscqu7kpwMeZS7xRtU9W7TASHk_m4aiK1XnCB9Tt_2P1HAaJDAnpRNH8JJrh5mGM_K6uB9fyJZgtb1ssUtWNfxBBeKC3CM2jm0aesZZSk1I-4mmE4jvTXP6EH2e7eGgiosYp2rMfKERDyVoiRJLzoPo0w7UFl9WfJIVpXCadpAZCB0ZAIsAd58dVdmKj4RdtWGfjA2vB2J3pTN9dvXKrVQ9KwmX8IoCM8mHp2DkTxCBnLc9FZef4rMvu73QfwQGJgIHZov3lSm3XTBonsXi0oR5oltBhMWjvQmoDrWawWI4g7sptwMdlyMqEsgwnzaOWNhgX5SnBTCVIjCEIEOgSUSQNWzF5mxufmqAJ_pRzhiuXD4vFLn69tZlXK6jeIM4Aj7FZrTZQUPk_R-2fG0p6_F8cv3MvHfWqfJE_qSt6JJowMy9ux-mGbf729z7yqmjjV7D_iQOWtKqKyl96zsezOZ1oRirmk-Rt6ytvLf2bnjH40Nfy10QGOq1dB-8ldR599koVBViWhMg2BXSpwrWMFWJqPW4A9O2z6N5lpW8TvGlnXBq6rU72tvTp2Hov4TZuhqeKUpEPytBkkH0itTEJ7qiNhz3RRA7YfGuKPbg=w224-h300-no

Second best idea would be fans across the water that will increase your evaporation and also cool your water not good in the winter.

If you can blow air past falling water (think a drip plate into the sump) it would be more effective than just blowing the surface. That way you're evaporating from a significantly higher surface area.

Does anyone have an idea as to what the most efficient method of increasing evaporation would be (most evaporation per watt)? I didn't know if this was common knowledge or if anyone had any ideas (cooling fans across the water surface, towards the water surface, powerheads breaking the water surface, etc.) If nothing else, does anyone have an idea as to whether a cooling fan or a powerhead breaking the surface of the water (where power consumption is the same) would be more effective?
Is North Carolina is a humid environment? If so, you would almost have to take measures to dehumidify the room to in turn increase evaporation.

For me, fans across the water surface was the best way. I'm not seeing how a drip plate could be better.

Just because I simply am unaware, why would you want to have more evaporation? for dosing consistency?

Agree with gcarroll - dehumidifying the surrounding air will get you the most increase in evaporation, but may not be the most efficient per watt. A fan blowing on something like an algal turf scrubber would be very efficient, as this is essentially the design of evaporative coolers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is North Carolina is a humid environment? If so, you would almost have to take measures to dehumidify the room to in turn increase evaporation.

For me, fans across the water surface was the best way. I'm not seeing how a drip plate could be better.

This time of year, no, not very humid. Give it 2 months. We get the triple H thread between May and September. Hot, Hazy, Humid, every day.

I built a 'swamp' cooler for my tank many years ago (think a waterfall ATS without lights but with a fan) and it worked really well .... as long as the surrounding environment is nominally below 50% humidity. As room humidity rises, evaporation falls.

Back