Mountains of sawdust (360g plywood, LED, Arduino build)

Just a quick update. The tank lived as planted FW for a few years and finally came down for good (with a demo saw) last spring. I've been completely without an aquarium since then, but am in the middle of buying for a nano build. I have to feed the itch, although it won't really be DIY at all this time around. I'll probably start a build thread once it's running.

I took photos during the demolition, I'll post them here as an educational reference in case anyone else is thinking about a large plywood build. It was pretty interesting to take this thing apart.

Thanks for the welcomes back everyone. Life has been interesting lately. Suffice to say, fish tanks weren't a priority. It feels really good to be back at a point where I can dip my toe into a hobby that's been there for me for so long.

I looked back through the demo photos and they weren't as interesting as I'd remembered but here they are anyways:

IMG_20160305_102813_zpsf84lho4x.jpg

Tank is empty, equipment is gone, trim is off the drywall. Time to have some fun. The carpet through the whole first floor was coming up as part of this remodel so I didn't bother protecting it. I used a sawsall style demo saw with demo blades, and an old circular saw with a demo blade. Ironically, this was the very same circular saw I used to cut the plywood when I built the tank.

IMG_20160305_111351_zpsr30soh2b.jpg

Drywall and hood section are off and the end of the tank is cut off. Yes, I cut the tank up to remove it. Way easier than trying to carry it out in one piece. The tank cutting was all done by the circular saw, the sawsall didn't have the muscle to be effective. It's tough work cutting through plywood with a thick coat of epoxy and heavy duty screws every 3 inches.

IMG_20160305_111319_zpsnfmdc3rz.jpg

Cross section of the top eurobrace and the end wall, with the front glass panel in view. You can see the differences in the epoxy thickness between the end wall and the underside of the eurobrace. People who followed the thread will remember the trouble I had with the eurobrace getting wet through pinholes. This was the biggest lesson learned. Don't underestimate the places water can go. You don't necessarily need a thick epoxy coat, what you need is one without pinholes in it. Everyone watches for bubbles, and putting multiple coats on helps avoid issues with bubbles, but what I didn't do was correctly fill the small voids left from cracks or splits on the inner veneers of the plywood, such that where the edges of the plywood were exposed, those imperfections translated to cavities that didn't get properly sealed. I rushed through that process because I hadn't planned on the eurobrace being in direct water contact, then at the last minute I decided to raise the water level such that the bottom of the brace was underwater. Bad idea.

Anyways, onwards...

IMG_20160305_111301_zps3nlav9gr.jpg

Here's a nice thick epoxy layer in profile. The really dark stripe is the outermost core veneer in the plywood, it's dark because it soaked up epoxy. The kinda-dark stripe to the right is clear epoxy. I only tinted the outermost coat of epoxy, which explains why the white stripe is so thin in comparison.

Once the tank was gone, I installed new hardwood flooring. I couldn't have a huge awkward spot in the middle of the house, so I built a wall right about where the back of the tank was and did a built-in bench along it to form a breakfast nook.

image-20161015_164458_zpsflahubcv.jpg

image-20170204_205507_zps39ozrpve.jpg

Yes, I am still bad at photography...

The new nano tank is going on a nearby wall next to the TV. The components have started to arrive, I'll go start the build thread when I have a chance. Otherwise, I guess it's safe to say that this thread now has reached it's conclusion. Thanks everyone for all the support and help along the way, it's been a lot of fun. Onwards and upwards, to more of life's mountains of sawdust!

I started the other build thread:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2636491

Also, as a partial explanation for what I've been up to over the last few years, I took up another expensive complicated DIY-based hobby and rebuilt an older motorcycle from a few boxes of parts I bought on Craigslist, then I liked it so much I bought my dream bike, a Tamborini-era Ducati Superbike (that's my brother on it in the photo, he liked it so much he went out the next week and bought a new Ducati Scrambler):

17917692_10211661086816558_4587251098387394887_o_zps9dowuyas.jpg

I started the other build thread:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2636491

Also, as a partial explanation for what I've been up to over the last few years, I took up another expensive complicated DIY-based hobby and rebuilt an older motorcycle from a few boxes of parts I bought on Craigslist, then I liked it so much I bought my dream bike, a Tamborini-era Ducati Superbike (that's my brother on it in the photo, he liked it so much he went out the next week and bought a new Ducati Scrambler):

17917692_10211661086816558_4587251098387394887_o_zps9dowuyas.jpg

Don't you hate it when hobbies get in the way of hobbies that get in the way of yet other hobbies :D I'm guessing most of us have that problem unless retired or better time management and/or financial bliss :D

I have a 240 gallon sitting in a crate in my garage because, well, other hobbies and priorities :( Car, scuba diving, etc and I'm not great at time management!

Welcome back.

Back