My 10 Gallon Reef Project??

I think as long as you're not affiliated with the company, you can post them.

I think the reef spot may be a sponsor, but not sure. Reef Hot Spot may be what I'm thinking of.

From what I understand the link I posted used to be "Saltwater Discount" and they just launched their new site. I was forwarded an email fromt he guy I work with.

Made some progress this afternoon. Waiting on glue to dry right now.

Got the door cut for the stand and put the hinges on. Tested the fit, and it's snug, but I think it'll work. Ended up just using wood glue to hold the wainscoting on the door panel. Hopefully it holds.

Got the tank painted (took about 3 minutes). I started with black near the bottom and blended it up into a dark blue. Looks pretty sweet.

Got my overflow in yesterday. I'm going to use an extra pane of glass for reinforcement, but I can't get plate glass locally. I'm hung up on the sump and the overflow until I can get some glass cut.

If the door panel fits, I'm going to go ahead and take the stand outside (if it ever stops raining), and get it all painted. I'll go ahead and start setting up the system after that. The stand won't be quite done, but I'll just paint all the other pieces prior to putting them on. There's enough room around the stand to finish it while it's set up.

I forgot I have to work next thursday, so I won't get another good day at it like this for a couple weeks, but I may have this saturday to hit it again. Hopefully I can get some glass tomorrow.

I may post some pics of the progress here in a bit.

Got the panel on the door and the door on, and the door hardware. Filled a couple 7 gallon jugs with RO/DI. Both show 0 TDS.

Hoping the stand will finish up nicely, but I dunno. I think I can make it look decent.

Also did a bit of programming on the Reek Keeper and got my halide pendant hangers installed.

Going to snap a pic of the stand now.

Grainy phone picture, but you get the idea.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNTAtMjAxMDA1MjctMjIwM.jpg

Sump is done.

Tank is drilled.

Rocks are stacked and glued.

Sand is in the display. (Thankfully, I can do all this in the tank and them move it b/c it's so small)

Stand is partially painted.

Salt water is mixing.

Should have water in this bad boy tomorrow.

IMG00051-20100529-1355.jpg

Last panel is not in yet in this pic.

IMG00052-20100529-1355.jpg

I left myself room on all sides of the rock structure to clean and for good flow.

I made quite a few caves and holes, but the picture doesn't quite do it justice.

In the sump, I built a small box in the corner to hold a filter sock and catch the overflow. Then left a large compartment for equipment and refugium. Last chamber follows the bubble trap and houses the return pump.

I have 2 worries at this point. 1, the baffles in the sump are a bit too high, 2 the overflow box is a bit too close to the top.

My dad's got a router that I can borrow to cut some teeth in the box if I need to.

As far as the baffles, I'll have to water test it this evening to see how things flow.

Water tested the sump with mag 700 and the baffles handled the flow.

We should be "cycling" by this evening. Hardware store was closed yesterday, so I couldn't get my plumbing supplies. I haven't water tested the display yet, so we'll be doing that live as I've already got sand and rock in the tank. We'll be hoping for the best.

Well, some systems are go!

Tank is plumbed and water is circulating. I plumbed the return to recirculate a portion of the water because the flow is pretty limited on the overflow box.

I need to tweak this plumbing a bit, but it is working for the moment.

Got an anti-syphon hole drilled in the return, and tossed a piece of shrimp in the get the ammonia meter running. Still work to be done, but we're moving water!

Video is a bit dark, but you get the idea. Sound is on, overflow is very quiet.

Please point out any suggestions.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid47.photobucket.com/albums/f166/dcombs44/iTookThisOnMyPhone%20Private/VID00001-20100601-2021.flv">

Thanks. I think ill enjoy keeping something on a smaller scale. after one night of evaporation with no halides I think I may need to hook The ato back up again. Ill be that way the end of June. Ill probably be ready for some frags by then. :)

Tested parameters at lunch today.

pH: 7.8 (no lights on system yet)
NH3/NH4: 0 (tested .25 ppm yesterday)
N02: Off Chart
NO3: 20 ppm

I still have the piece of shrimp in the thank because I don't have any food yet. Does anyone else think it's a problem leaving it in there to continue fueling the cycle. I figure it'll just help beef up the bacterial base. I think I'll wait another day or so to let the nitrite settle before I change any water out.

I'm surprised that the spikes are happening this fast to be honest. Thoughts?

My first tank was a 10 gallon, I added 15 pounds of live rock from Marine Depot Live when they were still around. My tank was fully cycled in 4 days. I talked to several people about it and with high flow and such a small volume of water they cycle was extremely fast. I had fish and SPS's in it in a week. That was probably my favorite tank- I had no problems with it what so ever. I currently have a 20 that I am working on just really taking my time.

That's good to hear. I'm always a slow mover when it comes to stocking. I like to give my tank time to stabilize and mature a bit. I posted similar questions in the main reef discussion forum. Do you guys agree with my thoughts or am I off base?

Many times something seems logical in my mind, but I'm thinking about it all wrong.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1858347

i cycled my tank by just pouring some amonia in the tank straight out of the bottle. i also threw a few peices of krill in there. but i had over 250 gallon of water to cycle. but it worked pretty good.

I've heard of people using ammonia.

I'm not sure some of the guy's arguments in my other thread hold much water. I'll probably continue to put pieces of shrimp in the tank to fuel the cycle until I'm ready to stock it.

Sprung a leak last night.

Went to check on the tank and there was a puddle around the tank on the stand. (Panic set in)

Problem was the piece of glass I put between the bulkhead and the tank. I guess water was seeping around the gasket on the inside of the tank and getting under the glass (which I didn't seal well enough with silicon). I tried tightening the bulkhead a bit to no avail. Eventually, I turned the pumps off and siliconed all the way around the glass plate on the back. Seems to have fixed the problem, but I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Not sure I like the idea of that water being trapped in there......Anybody have any ideas short of taking the overflow and glass plate off and resealing it closer to the hole??

i would take the bulkhead off or at least loosen it and put some silicon between the two pieces of glass closer to the hole and it will seal it up. but i it is hard to do i would not worry too much if it is not leaking.

Back