My 180 4sided viewable in-wall build

Very nice - and well worth the (long) wait. :)

It's a gorgeous tank, clean lines and a very sleek minimalist look.

Congrats

If you don't mind me asking....how much does it cost on your power bill per month to operate this system?

I've got a large in-ground pool with a 2hp filtration motor. My power bill increases by around $175 during the summer months.

I'm considering a tank of similiar size and flow to yours, but not sure I want to take on this type of responsibility that will be added to the power bill, especially when combined with my pool electrical consumption during summer months.

Costs about the same as the pool. Give or take. The closed loop and return pump are what sucks the power. Almost 1Kw just on those three pumps! I'm looking for DC pumps that are reasonably priced, but as of yet the only candidates are 2000 each!

Lighting is not the cost, nor is heat. It's pumps. All of them. From salt mixing pumps to the return pumps to the various korillias I have in the sump, to the closed loops. It's expensive.

If I shut this down, it'll be because of cost... But I'll nevEr shut it down. I love it.

I figure it cost me about $4000/year in bulbs, salt, hydro, chemicals, etc to run this tank.

Updates? Ok... how about some photos...
Here is a long awaited update. I'm not happy with the tank... but might as well get some photos posted during the snow storm.

Dining room side
Reef2013FEB-1_zps45e7069d.jpg

Reef2013FEB-2_zps089ea392.jpg

Reef2013FEB-3_zps507e30aa.jpg

Reef2013FEB-7_zps0b8f179a.jpg

Family Room Size CROP
Reef2013FEB-4_zps64caf9c1.jpg

Reef2013FEB-5_zps0416bfbe.jpg

Reef2013FEB-6_zps5b891860.jpg

Reef2013FEB-25_zpsba44eaff.jpg

Reef2013FEB-26_zps28004c7b.jpg

Tank looks good to me and glad to see you back posting. Why are you unhappy with the tank? Did something happen to explain the time between posts?

Tank looks good to me and glad to see you back posting. Why are you unhappy with the tank? Did something happen to explain the time between posts?

There have been a few set-backs for sure...

I have considered selling it and being done with it many times... even went so far as to see if another fish-tank loving person wanted to buy my house as its all build in and could just be done with it..

in the end, each time, my wife and i agree to not do that as we do really like it...

I'm on a quest to lower my power-consumption of the system. I have two CL pumps to change out and one return pump that should drop my consumption in 1/2. I'm also going to switch to LED's for further savings.

In terms of issues, the most recent one would be the ALK at about 4.5DKH (verified by Hanna Digital and Salifert kits)... The root-cause was a disconnected dosing line behind the sump.

I really am trying to make a hard run at keeping things running more smoothly.... and its been going week for a few weeks now. Just got to keep it up for the next 10years or so. haha

have you ck out the waveline dc 10000, 10000 lph at 85watts, im running the dc5000 on my 120, great pump so far, no issues other than wrong gasket, if running externial., beautiful tank by the way, youve put way too much time and effort in it to shut it down.

have you ck out the waveline dc 10000, 10000 lph at 85watts, im running the dc5000 on my 120, great pump so far, no issues other than wrong gasket, if running externial., beautiful tank by the way, youve put way too much time and effort in it to shut it down.

Thank you Bmullikin1; and thanks for the tip on the waveline. Unfortunately, 10000LPH is only about 2200GPH. Two of them at best would run at about 4500gph, about 2000gph lower than I want/need. I need a powerful DC pump. The Blue Echo pumps have the flow I need, but the initial investment is quite high... very high.

Unfortunately I have to wait for DC prices to drop or keep saving pennies.

Wow! I just read through your entire build thread. It's shockingly very similar to my own. So obviously I must say you've done some great things... I haven't received my electric bill yet but you are scaring me. Where did you get your spaflex? I need to buy some soon. If ever you have a reefer open house, I'd love to come steal some ideas of off you.

Thank you Bmullikin1; and thanks for the tip on the waveline. Unfortunately, 10000LPH is only about 2200GPH. Two of them at best would run at about 4500gph, about 2000gph lower than I want/need. I need a powerful DC pump. The Blue Echo pumps have the flow I need, but the initial investment is quite high... very high.

Unfortunately I have to wait for DC prices to drop or keep saving pennies.

The Wavelines are coming out with a bigger pump that will accomodate you. It is the 15000 but wont be available until the summer. The 12000 should be out in a couple months though.

Wow! I just read through your entire build thread. It's shockingly very similar to my own. So obviously I must say you've done some great things... I haven't received my electric bill yet but you are scaring me. Where did you get your spaflex? I need to buy some soon. If ever you have a reefer open house, I'd love to come steal some ideas of off you.

SkyHawk, if youre in my area (ottawa) my door is open. Goes for anyone actually. I love talking shop!

Do you have a build thread? I'd like to see it.

I cannot express how happy I am when I look at my tank, when its all clean glass and happy corals... I truly love it.

Back