My 240g FOWLR

Hi Peter,

I have ventured into the world of butterflies and your amazing tank is to blame. I have started off with a raccoon and it is not interested in flakes or pellets yet. I have Larry's and black worms which it will gladly eat. Still need to try some mysis, shrimps and clams.

So I feel silly asking this but about how many worms should I be feeding it a day?

Thanks.

It's always best to just feed a small amount, wait and see how it goes. Add more if they get eaten quickly; don't, if not. GL!

Thanks for the quick response Peter. He will eat as many as I feed him. I gave him about ten worms which he ate immediately. Should I feed him until he stops eating? Will I have to start him on Lipitor?

Lol! I would use the worms as the final food. Always try all others foods first. Then worms last... and frankly only if he's looking skinny.

What do you personally think of Paul B's opinion about feeding fish blackworms and clams exclusively? I am asking since I really want to stock my tank around butterflies and you have so much experience with the ones I want to keep.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with all of us.

What do you personally think of Paul B's opinion about feeding fish blackworms and clams exclusively? I am asking since I really want to stock my tank around butterflies and you have so much experience with the ones I want to keep.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with all of us.

I personally think variety is key. I try to feed any and all foods available to me. Also, I am not retired!! Sometimes all I have time to feed is pellets. I wouldn't want a tank full of spoiled fish that only accept worms ;) To be honest, I have lost a few fish that didn't ever eat dry foods, when I am really busy at work... :(

Thanks Peter. I have a 210 gallon tank and currently have a Chaetodon lunula and would like to stock the following butterflies:

Chaetodon xanthurus
Chaetodon rafflesi
Chaetodon collare
Chaetodon punctatofasciatus or pelewenis

Any recommendations as to the stocking order? Is the pelewenis really much more difficult and/or aggressive as compared to the puncto?

Thanks

Ok, I have a few questions, because I want to build a 300, maybe get away with a 400 before too long and want it to be butterfly/angel dominated.

1. How many angels/butterflies do you have in the tank? By the last list I saw, I count 20?
2. How did you determine which order to add them, or was there not much of a plan once you had a large number in there already.
3. Sounds like you have a large skimmer, any other major filtration methods?
4. How much live rock is in the system?
5. What do you use for clean up crew?
6. Are there any inverts that you would not suggest (thinking shrimps specifically)? My understanding is that angels primary diet is made up of alot of algae. I know they'll eat meaty foods too, but they pick at the rocks all day primarily, do they not?
7. How did you deter agression when adding new fish? I'm assuming you didn't just drop them in.
8. Angels are sensitive to copper aren't they? What quarantine measures did you take? Strictly observation, TTM?

I'm sure some of these questions were probably answered throughout the thread, but your thread started when you already had a pretty hefty list of fish, so I'm just hoping for some guidance. It will be a couple years probably until I get this new tank set up, but your tank is inspiring to say the least.

See my comments in RED...

1. How many angels/butterflies do you have in the tank? By the last list I saw, I count 20?

Here's my updated list:

Acanthurus leucosternon
Acanthurus fowleri
Labroides dimidiatus
Choerodon fasciatus (Aussie)
Halichoeres hortulanus
Chaetodontoplus melanosoma
Chaetodontoplus meredithi
Chaetodontoplus septentrionalis
Genicanthus lamarck
Pomacanthus navarchus (in the fuge for now, will be moved to "reef" tank since the Mac hates him)
Pomacanthus maculosus
Holacanthus tricolor
Centropyge loricula
Chaetodon burgessi
Chaetodon collare
Chaetodon tinkeri
Chaetodon ephippium
Chaetodon falcula
Chaetodon fasciatus
Chaetodon flavirostris
Chaetodon mertensii
Chaetodon rainfordi
Chaetodon xanthurus
Heniochus singularius (found dead one morning... not a scratch on him, and always ate. No clue what happened.)
Microcanthus strigatus
Amphiprion melanopus x 2
Chrysiptera hemicyanea
Chrysiptera talboti x 2
Pseudochromis sankeyi

2. How did you determine which order to add them, or was there not much of a plan once you had a large number in there already.

It is very difficult to plan a lot of fish perfectly, since you are at the mercy of what is available, and looks good. Acclimation boxes are a great thing :)

Just live rock, and carbon occasionally.

I honestly don't remember. Everything you see in the tank is LR though.

5. What do you use for clean up crew? Bristle worms and pods.

6. Are there any inverts that you would not suggest (thinking shrimps specifically)? My understanding is that angels primary diet is made up of a lot of algae (you are thinking of Centropyge angels). I know they'll eat meaty foods too, but they pick at the rocks all day primarily, do they not?

I see no issue with shrims and angels. No reason I haven't gotten any... just lazy.

7. How did you deter aggression when adding new fish? I'm assuming you didn't just drop them in.

Acclimation box, when needed.

8. Angels are sensitive to copper aren't they? What quarantine measures did you take? Strictly observation, TTM?

I use cupramine at lower doses, for longer periods.

Thanks for all your great answers. I don't expect my tank to ever be quite as beautiful as yours, but if I get a decent collection of angels and butterflies, I'll be extremely happy.

Well, as the bigger they get, they get meaner. Came home to the Cheatodontoplus angels kicking the *** of the poma. He is now in the sump. Literally, all of them, the meredithi, the scribbled, and the blue line, were all at it. I think at these sizes, maybe they just find a weak one, and attack. I think I need to start finding smaller fish to re-seed the tank.

Poma died, even in the sump. Surprisingly.... she looked great, other than a few torn fins...

It seems like bannerfish are not as easy as they make it seem to be.
Perhaps one of the tangs, or angels rammed it causing internal injury?

See my comments in RED...

Here's my updated list:

Acanthurus leucosternon
Acanthurus fowleri
Labroides dimidiatus
Choerodon fasciatus (Aussie)
Halichoeres hortulanus
Chaetodontoplus melanosoma
Chaetodontoplus meredithi
Chaetodontoplus septentrionalis
Genicanthus lamarck
Pomacanthus navarchus (in the fuge for now, will be moved to "reef" tank since the Mac hates him)
Pomacanthus maculosus
Holacanthus tricolor
Centropyge loricula
Chaetodon burgessi
Chaetodon collare
Chaetodon tinkeri
Chaetodon ephippium
Chaetodon falcula
Chaetodon fasciatus
Chaetodon flavirostris
Chaetodon mertensii
Chaetodon rainfordi
Chaetodon xanthurus
Heniochus singularius (found dead one morning... not a scratch on him, and always ate. No clue what happened.)
Microcanthus strigatus
Amphiprion melanopus x 2
Chrysiptera hemicyanea
Chrysiptera talboti x 2
Pseudochromis sankeyi

It is very difficult to plan a lot of fish perfectly, since you are at the mercy of what is available, and looks good. Acclimation boxes are a great thing :)

Just live rock, and carbon occasionally.

I honestly don't remember. Everything you see in the tank is LR though.

5. What do you use for clean up crew? Bristle worms and pods.

6. Are there any inverts that you would not suggest (thinking shrimps specifically)? My understanding is that angels primary diet is made up of a lot of algae (you are thinking of Centropyge angels). I know they'll eat meaty foods too, but they pick at the rocks all day primarily, do they not?

I see no issue with shrims and angels. No reason I haven't gotten any... just lazy.

7. How did you deter aggression when adding new fish? I'm assuming you didn't just drop them in.

Acclimation box, when needed.

I use cupramine at lower doses, for longer periods.

It seems like bannerfish are not as easy as they make it seem to be.
Perhaps one of the tangs, or angels rammed it causing internal injury?

The heniochus is my most confusing loss. The body was literally like a flawless museum specimen.

Back