need help identfying a fish

It appears to be a large damsel, probably Neoglyphidon sp. Would need a much better picture to be more precise than that.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12878283#post12878283 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by billsreef
It appears to be a large damsel, probably Neoglyphidon sp. Would need a much better picture to be more precise than that.

of course the guy swims 80 mph, hard to snap a better pic. Someone else guessed a dusky damselfish, sound about right?

That would be a good guess, it was the first thing that came to my mind. However, many of the damsels in that genus look very similar as adults. The juveniles are usually absolutely stunning in looks, but always grow up into a gray/black ugly adult.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12878500#post12878500 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by billsreef
That would be a good guess, it was the first thing that came to my mind. However, many of the damsels in that genus look very similar as adults. The juveniles are usually absolutely stunning in looks, but always grow up into a gray/black ugly adult.

lol, kind of like kids- "cute in the cradle, ugly at the altar" (something my sister said a few times)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12878500#post12878500 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by billsreef

I'm debating keeping him. He kind of limits my capabilities of more fish. Plus, he eats like an elephant!

Yeah, big appetite and lot's attitude problems with them. Be a good addition for someone with an aggressive tank of things like triggers and such.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12878596#post12878596 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by billsreef
Yeah, big appetite and lot's attitude problems with them. Be a good addition for someone with an aggressive tank of things like triggers and such.

Yes, very aggressive. The Yellow Tang holds his own with him, clowns could care less.

Thanks, I will keep that info in mind.

Those can be some nasty buggers. My girlfriend and I were attacked by a small school of them while snorkelling one time. It appeared there were several patches of eggs in the area, I tried to get a macro shot with my UW digital and BAM BAM BAM.. Those suckers drew blood on us...

Back