Newbie - tank cycling questions!

Kishan313

Hi everyone,

I'm from the UK and new to the saltwater tank hobby! I've recently set up an 80 litre nano.

I'm a bit confused when it comes to cycling the tank. I'm using a mixture of mostly dry rock and some live rock that has been sitting in the garage (in saltwater with a powerhead and heater).

I also got given a free bottle from Bio Spira which I'm not really sure when to start using in the tank? This supposedly allows an instant cycle?

How will the bacteria from a bottle survive without a source of bacteria? And will the curing from dry rock/ die off from live rock cause an issue in my cycle?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ I have bought a bunch of test kits (salifert) but again not 100% sure at when/what to test, considering it may be not be a traditional cycle

Most of those "instant cycle" additives are garbage as far as an actual cycle. Some can't hurt, some may help...but they are pretty gimmicky.

The curing from the dry and live rock is what will trigger a cycle(mostly the live rock die off). That live rock will help accelerate that cycle, as it already has bacteria on it. If your live rock was from an established system, you may have very little, if any, cycle.

Ammonia is first to spike, nitrite second, and nitrate is the final stage. So test in that order, maybe a couple times the first week for ammonia, then Nitrite and nitrate as the ammonia calms down.

I also got given a free bottle from Bio Spira which I'm not really sure when to start using in the tank? Put it in now with the curing rock
This supposedly allows an instant cycle? Not instant but will help speed things along if the bacteria are still alive.
How will the bacteria from a bottle survive without a source of bacteria? You might need to add a pinch of flake food or another source of ammonia.
Will the curing from dry rock/ die off from live rock cause an issue in my cycle? Yes. Bacteria will be growing in your live rock and any die off will feed those bacteria. A good thing.
Answers in the quote
Welcome to RC and enjoy your learning experiences.

Thank you so much guys, really helpful.

Could I ask how long I can expect the cycle to last?

Time to complete the cycle varies quite a bit depending on your setup and other factors. In my case my 250l system completed its cycle in 8 days after adding (quite a bit of) live rock. It may take a little longer however, possibly up to 4 weeks if you are not able to generate and sustain the bacteria cultures effectively enough.

The only thing I did to help mine along was add some bacteria culture (Bacti-Boost or similar) to my filter sponge a couple of times.

Once you start adding livestock however you can start further mini-cycles, so it's important to build up the bio-load gradually.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Depending on how long that live rock has been already cycling/curing in the saltwater there may be no cycle at all as the cycle has already occurred in that container and the rock is full of bacteria already... The bacteria there will quickly spread/populate the dry rock..
You may be able to just set up the new tank..fill it with sand,new saltwater, dry rock and put that live rock in and just slowly start adding livestock...
I probably wouldnt even use the bacteria in a bottle...
But there are multiple ways to end up with the same result here and its just important that you understand what a cycle actually is and how to spot one,etc...
You do have ammonia ,nitrite, and nitrate test kits right?..or access to them...
If so best way to tell whats going on is to simply test and see...
We can only guess so far...

Cycling is important, but getting livestock in is also important. If you cycle your tank but don't add fish/corals then the ammonia will soon be used and that bacteria will start to starve.

The idea is to give your tank a quick cycle to get the basic bacterial colonies established and then to slowly add more fish so that the capacity for the tank to go through the nitrogen cycle grows at the same time.

The product you have will probably contain suspended bacterial colonies that you need, but it doesn't mean that they're well established. It just gives you that start that you need.

Thanks guys, I have the relevant test kits that I will be testing on the weekend for.

I'm just hoping the dry rock I have added won't leach phosphates or anything further down the line.

Cycle wise I think it makes sense it's just a case of understanding everything before rushing into adding the bacteria

Cycling is important, but getting livestock in is also important. If you cycle your tank but don't add fish/corals then the ammonia will soon be used and that bacteria will start to starve.

Nah...studies have shown bacteria can survive a year or more without any additional ammonia source additions...not to mention just look at the shelf life of "bacteria in a bottle" products which is typically a year or more.
If anything it just slows down and hibernates...You certainly do not need to rush livestock into a tank for fear of bacteria starving...That simply does not happen..

Haha yeah I suppose this is true.

So now my live rock/dry rock has been sitting in heated water with powerheads in the DT for a week.

Will check parameters over the next couple of days and see where I am at before adding in live sand and bacteria

Back