Novices: dealing with hose connections. Plumbing. A hair dryer....

Sk8r

Staff member
RC Mod
...is your best friend, any time you have to force a connection into a stiff hose---or take one apart---just heat it up, it softens, and you can do it easily. I use one even on 2" ribbed hose pond pump connections: works like a charm.

In this hobby, you will deal with hose clamps (you can use steel ones if it's not under salt water.) And hose barbs---a jagged two ended plastic connector you force into two pieces of hose you want to join---but DON"T forget to put your 2 hose clamps onto the hoses before joining them: getting a hose barb loose is not easy.

Also there are screw joints---teflon tape is ok; and slip joints (smooth) that require purple glue. Don't glue things you may EVER want to take apart. Including tank fittings.

Understand that hose is measured in two ways: INSIDE diameter and OUTSIDE diameter. Be sure which you're talking about when you go to buy hose. These two measurements are so tricksy [and close] I've made hose connections by slipping one hose inside another, for something I really truly had to jury rig. But they can really confuse you the first time you thought you bought the right thing and it won't fit even with a hair dryer. Your friendly hardware clerk can advise you---but sometimes just take the joint or pump you're trying to fit along with you, to be sure.

There are bulkhead connectors. These penetrate the glass to bring a hose in. Never-ever-ever overtighten one: it can crack the glass. Always hand-tighten, and remember that women can do this bare-handed quite adequately. If one leaks, give it a cloth wrap and a few hours to settle. But if one persistently leaks, you may have one tiny sand grain stuck under the gasket (the soft rubbery ring that makes the seal.) Remove and clean it.

Also---any joint that leaks somewhat underwater is generally not an issue. It is, after all, water. Do not go crazy with plastic hose clamps: they're available, but you can often get by without one. See the advice above on NOT gluing if you can avoid it.

Never throw away a good piece of hose (even a few inches long) or a connector: by the time you've been at this a few years, you'll have your own 'basket of last resort..'

Few of us start out with as much plumbing knowledge as we will acquire in this hobby. By a number of years doing it, I learned enough to put in a 5000 gallon backyard pond with a waterfall...and re-plumb the bathroom fixtures. So yes, I too started out not knowing purple glue from Elmers, or a hose barb from a slip joint. It will come. Ask, and we can help you.

Last edited:
100%
Great insight there. I knew some plumbing when I got in because of my construction background. I was by no means a plumber. Even I would call my dad, who can call himself a professional with questions frequently. When my wife saw me doing my first tank she was shocked. How do you know all this stuff?? She knew my 5 years by then and it never came up. Haha. Her tanks were the first ones I did. This is a great resource for novices. I hope each on of them sees it.

Might also consider using drainage PVC instead of pressure. The walls are thinner, but the outside diameter is the same. It gives you slightly more flow.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Another good post from Sk8r, with one exception. The use of teflon tape on threaded PVC connections can lead to them splitting if over tightened. The preferred method is PTFE (teflon) paste. You'll find it right next to the tape in the plumbing section. Just a small amount on the male threads will spread around as you screw the pieces together and seal the joint nicely.

I also buck the trend, and do not use primer on slip/slip fittings. I prefer Oateys medium clear PVC cement. I put it on the male end only, insert and give the fitting about 1/4 turn then wipe it with a paper towel to keep it clean looking and avoid drips. If I were doing household plumbing, then primer is indicated, but because our systems are under virtually no pressure, I feel confident in skipping that step. No leaks in 30 years.

if you don't have a hair dryer readily available you can also fill a mug with boiling water and just dip the hose in it to make the end pliable and push it on the fitting.

if you don't have a hair dryer readily available you can also fill a mug with boiling water and just dip the hose in it to make the end pliable and push it on the fitting.

I use a pan on the stove to keep it really boiling.

Back