Oceanic 215 with Solaris Build

just wonder what did you feed your anthias,,,?? my came home three day but still not eatting anything,,thanks

What type of anthias? Many are deep water species that are very hard to ever get to eat. Purple queens, Ventralis and some other species are extemely difficult to raise in a home aquarium and I don't really recommend them. For your 90 gallon I would say the Lyretails would be your best bet and usually will acclimate to a home aquarium well. Mine eat Julian Sprungs Sea Veggies, Piscene Energetics Mysis Shrimp, Rod's Food and Cyclopeez. Do try adding a drop of garlic to the food and letting it sit a while before feeding. Other good additives are: Kent's Zoe Marine and Beta Glucan. Look for articles by Terry Bartelme for more info on Beta Glucan addition to food. I've been using it for a long time now and have extremely healthy fish. The garlic really does help get fish eating. Also, and especially in the case of angels, anthias and tangs, ask your LFS to hold them a few days before you bring them home and do ask them to feed them so you can be sure they're eating. Anthias stress a lot during shipping and I've found it's best if they have time to settle down before they're bagged and moved again. Also, sometimes with anthias it's good to dim down the lights for a few days until they settle in.

MarineGirl...we actually think they are 32+ years old. These two were originally a breeding pair from ORA and when they retired them I took them so they'd have a permanent home to live out their lives. Despite the fact that they were without an anemone for the entire time they were at ORA, they took to one within minutes of being placed in the tank.

Here's a pic of the same green carpet anemone under 150 MH in my old 90 gallon and the same anemone under the Solaris, at a depth of 30". It's colored up very nicely!

Aquariumphotosweek3007.jpg

100_2491.jpg

Thanks, Chris. That anemone wasn't quite that light colored when I moved it, but it wasn't anywhere close to the color it is now. We've moved the whites down to 30% and the blues are at 100% still. The less white in the tank the more color and still getting good growth IMO.

You have outdone the fish with that flame wrasse Marcye..absolutely magnificent!
<<<<{Places a pair in her imaginary tank of the future}:D

You are very welcome on the milli, hope it turns into a monstrosity like it has for me!:p

waterfaller1 - I can't believe you gave up that gorgeous piece. :) Can you link me to your tank pictures?

Congrats Marceye.

hi,,just one question about the light coverage,,,
do you think your light will cover 32"w ,,front to back??/seriuosly thanks

Hmmmm, Mine is 24 and I have complete coverage on most of the tank. I guess it depends on how deep the tank is, how far above the tank you place the lights for the spread and if you'd want the full spread across the entire top or not. Because of the way the lights are set in the unit, you will have less spread near the surface and it grows expotentially as the light filters down. I do know that we tried to place a Solaris over one of my display tanks that was 37" from front to back and it was so high up to get the spread that it wasn't feasable to use. You can call PFO and they can give you a fairly accurate determination on how high up you would need to place the fixture to get the 32" spread. Keep in mind, I've just lowered my whites down to 28% so raising the light up some won't be a problem, although too much would probably look bizarre.

my tank is only 24 deep and i want to use leg mount on this, so i guess the leg is only can go like 6"h most,,so with the highess of the leg can go ,,then do you think the light will cover up front to back ,,very much??thanks,,

Mine is 24 deep (front to back) and 30" tall and I have my lights on the legs that come with the light. Here's a pic from when I first put the lights on and there was still a lot of "milkshake" from the sand. It makes the lighting bands more obvious. I've had no problems with the coverage in my tank, although there are some areas on the very top that have slightly less light than other areas.

hi,,,me again,,,so if your tank is 30"tall and you can get good lighting on the bottom to keep clam or even sps then i guess i can raise my light up another 6" to get 32"front to back coverage..
Agreeeeeee??
also this light they said is less than 400w total MH ,,do you know which fixture they are talking about??
do you happen to know if you fixture is equal to how many watt of mh light?? thanks

I have the I series and it's equal to 400 watt MH according to Solaris. You can certainly raise the lights up fairly high IMO....like I said, I have my whites down to 28% of their full capacity and have, on the very bottom of my tank, a carpet anemone that needs very intense light to maintain it's deep color. So far, it looks better than it's ever looked. Marcye

Back