Our 400 Gallon In Wall Natural Sun-Lit Reef"

Understood and thanks for even considering it. Also, thanks for the info on Sun-dome. I am so very tempted to give this a shot. I really have the perfect opportunity to do it.

On another note, have you ever heard of a way to automatically control how many hours of sun the tubes let in? In other words, if I wanted to do x number of sunlight hours per day, and then do artificial lighting rest of the day, would that work, is there an automated way to close the tubes?

I would think you could do a retractable screen, like the ones they use to screen the sun roof in your car its thin, its light, and could easily be built into a motorized frame. I also believe they make a dampener for the domes, but I would think it would compromise the amount of available light because of the extra hardware needed in the dome system.

...could easily be built into a motorized frame

This would be cool. Not so sure about the easily part, at least not for a mechanically challenged person like myself, but it would be a really cool way to have a tank set-up.

One other thought that just occurred to me...and I'm sorry for asking as it's probably been shown in this thread, but how do you access your tank? I see the door to the right...is there a fish room back there?

I wouldn't have that option as my tank is going up against a wall. I'd have to build a soffit to hide the tubes and thinking that doing it that way might make maintenance access a nightmare. Thoughts?

One other thought that just occurred to me...and I'm sorry for asking as it's probably been shown in this thread, but how do you access your tank? I see the door to the right...is there a fish room back there?

Never mind. Came across a video showing your full set up. Very cool.

I wouldn't have that option as my tank is going up against a wall. I'd have to build a soffit to hide the tubes and thinking that doing it that way might make maintenance access a nightmare. Thoughts?

I also cama across a few thanks that didn't hide the tubes at all. Kind of a cool modern look to it. Definitely an option as in my case it would be a nice touch of modern in an otherwise traditional, historical house.

Something like this:
97b5df9a546d14b905f6f7e9dab21af6.jpg

Did you ever end up adding any supplemental lighting?

on a tank that size i would definately set up an auto water change. worth the investment to save yourself the time.

Oh yeah! That's happening for sure. Still have to have good access to tank though for those maintenance days where you want to siphon or whatever.

Hello jdp!

I really dig your solar tube reef. In fact, I've been admiring it since you started this thread years ago. It looks very bright and has a nice shimmer; like MH but without all the heat of MH and no bulbs to replace!

You've been running solar for several years now so you're one of the best people to ask these questions. I hope that you do not mind sharing. Thanks in advance!

- What is your average PAR value close to the surface and near the sand bed?

- Have you noticed any loss in average PAR over the years?

-If I ever wanted to replace the tubes, I would think that would be relatively easy. Is that an accurate guess?

- Do you have pictures or video of your tank when lit with supplemental lighting, say for viewing in the evening when the sun is down?

- Do you get a nice moonlit experience when the skies are clear and there is a full moon? I'm thinking yes. Any pictures?

-Was it a challenge to fit supplemental lighting around your solar tubes?

-You mentioned $1100 on a post as the cost but that just seems incredibly low. That must just be for parts, right? Was that per tube? How much in labor was it to have them both installed?

I may just pull the trigger and do this myself.

Thanks!
Chris
Tampa FL

Hello friends, it's the 11-year anniversary of our natural sun-lit reef tank. It has been one bumpy ride. Thanks so much for the continued support through the years. I can safely say my experiment using natural sunlight to light my reef has been a success! Please enjoy a few pictures of the reef!

Happy reefing!

In memory of my loving wife, Kelly!

Joe

20220418_142106.jpg
20220424_150349.jpg
20220430_133159.jpg
20220430_142207.jpg
20220505_134622.jpg
20220627_201013.jpg
20220630_163007.jpg
20220710_142724.jpg
20220710_142803.jpg
20220710_142830.jpg

I love the natural lighting. Reminds me of when we used to use the 6500k halides back in the day (obviously not as good as the actual sun) - everything looked like it's supposed to. Great job!

Oh wow. I missed this thread. Always one of my favorites. Thanks for the update!

And may your wife RIP. So sorry for your loss.

Back