porcupine puffer care

DeepSeaBeauti

Will Fielitz
I purchases a 3" porcupine puffer about 6 days ago. it has not eaten anything I have given it. I've tried my usual frozen foods, krill, brine, and other meat variety. Even tried clams on the half shell. It wont even touch them. It has been sitting at the corner of my tank at the bottom. Im not sure what to do. Are there any puffer experts here?

Thanks , Will

I have almost no knowledge about puffers. The one thing I do know is that while they do tend to love krill, it’s horrible for them and causes lockjaw.
I suppose anything that gets a bit eating fish to eat is better than nothing, but krill is bad for them.

Last edited:
Try some live mollies, or even blackworms. The fish looks extremely stressed, and may have something up with its eyes

Just a quick update. While in Long beach yesterday, my daughters and I found a few baby clams and nice cluster of muscles. Dropped them in the tank last night. This morning found the puffer happy as can be pecking at them and swimming around. Guess he is still just getting use to the tank.

Back