Powder blue tang

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11354453#post11354453 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SCIFI_3D_zoo
Damn. I'm screwed with this 4.5" PBT I have in a 90 gal. I hate to buy stuff like this and try and pass it off. I feel bad. It's odds of survival are gonna drop.

How long till yours doubled in size? Maybe I should just stick with Pacific Blues and other non-agg. ones.

not really the size that is bad for small tanks, it's that they are very active..

I wouldn't say that's all that's needed. Like nothing else could go wrong or something. From my reading about the nature of ICH in an RC article you need 6 weeks to completely remove them. They die off in about 2 weeks of treatment, but then eggs that are dormant hatch 2 weeks later, then you need another 2-3 weeks IF you do it right to kill that batch. Now we're up to 6 weeks.

So my point is if somebody else has already QT'd them for this period of time why do it again? It's not a simple acclimation either. Read the LAq QT here. Sounds very thorough to me. Once ICH and other parasites are removed the fish is free of them. He can't get stressed and get it again. It has to be introduced from something else. So... IF .. it is done and done right why do it again? That would be like you QT'n for 6 weeks.. then doing it again for 6 weeks. Who would do that.

Again.. I'm not saying either that there's nothing else to worry about. A shorter QT would still be in order if you want b/c the fish still needs to acclimate and also eat your food. But it's not gonna be a source of ICH b/c they have a great QT process.

I AGREE. I feel dumb now. I always took those descriptions they have with a grain of salt. I mean.. what is moderate difficulty.. what does that mean anyway. But now I know more they are actually good descriptions. And not only is a PBT say 100 GAL or more, but it's semi-aggressive too. I shouldn't have got one. I feel bad now.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11354622#post11354622 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dcombs44
To comment on the remarks about LiveAquaria's QT being all that's needed.

I will agree that LA is a great company to order from, but you have to factor in the stress of shipping, and the fact that these fish are not QTd alone there, and you never know for how long.

You should always quarantine your fish at home or at an LFS for a month or so to avoid risking infecting your entire display tank. Just my $.02.

....and Live Aquaria recommends no less than a 100 gallon tank for a PBT.

I read the descriptions at LAq for all their Tangs and the Pacific Blue is the only one that is not semi-aggressive and requires 100 gal. at least for a minimum. I checked out Dwarf Angels too and they're all with reef caution. Doesn't leave us with much choice on Tangs/Angels. I really like the Pacific Blue though. He's safe, peaceful, and listed with 70 gal tank. I think I might get 2-3 of them.

Back