Powerheads

pc2918

Looking around on Amazon.com for a good and cheap power head for my 50gal tank. Right now I have a Volitan Lion, a lemon peel angel and an urchin with 45lbs of rock. Looking to add corals eventually.

Found a set of 2 1300gph wavemakers for $16

Or

1 Hydor 750gph for around $40

Anybody have any other ideas

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 0
In my experience, cheap stuff is more expensive in the long run. They end up breaking or just not working well so you end up replacing them. I'd look at Jebo or Hydor if you are wanting a quality PH at a decent price.

I've always liked this article about proper flow. http://reefsources.itgo.com/guide/pumps.html

This topic is always open for debate. As a baseline, for the most part, the starting point for a tank should be between 10-20 times turnover for total volume. That would mean, for a 50 gallon tank, you should start with 500-1000 GPH (Gallons per hour).

Now, for many people with some experience, this is pretty low amount of flow. Many hobbyists prefer a turn over rate in the 30-60 times total volume. (1500-3000 GPH for a 50gal). This higher rate of flow helps keep detritus from settling on the substrate or the rocks, and in turn, the detritus is picked up by your filter and removed from the tank.

You really should be looking at two or more powerheads. If you use only one, your inhabitants suffer from a boring, unilateral current. (Equivalent to a 20mph wind blowing from the East...every day....24hrs a day...) You can imagine how this can effect growth of corals, should you choose to add them in the future.

Also, having unilateral flow creates "dead spots" in your tank where detritus can/will build up. The buildup of extra nutrients in these "dead spots" will, almost always, promote unwanted algae growth. If you do not want the headache of trying to rid your tank of nusiance algae, it would be smart for you to deal with these issues before they start.

All in all, get a minimum of two powerheads. Total turnover should be around 2000-3000GPH.

whatever you decide on, get the ones with the magnetic mount. the ones with the suction cups are useless. they lose suction, end up hanging out there and causing a sand storm.

I just purchased the hydor myself for a 60 gallon 4 foot long tank, I got the model on amazon that states 750-850 or something like that and between that and my return for the canister that puts out 180 gph I have good flow in my tank.

.........If you do not want the headache of trying to rid your tank of nusiance algae, it would be smart for you to deal with these issues before they start.

All in all, get a minimum of two powerheads. Total turnover should be around 2000-3000GPH.
Good information!
I agree to your idea...:thumbup:

I just purchased the hydor myself for a 60 gallon 4 foot long tank, I got the model on amazon that states 750-850 or something like that and between that and my return for the canister that puts out 180 gph I have good flow in my tank.

Is your tank a FOWLR? Because if not, that's not enough flow.

I think I might of got the same ones as you are looking at. They are either the sun sun or aquatop brand. I have 2 of them in my tank and my friend has 3. I never had an issue with them. They never fell off the wall and they are very quite. You can also aim them in any direction. The powerheads also have some magnet in it that causes it to pulse. You won't see the powerhead pulse but you can see it in the current.

You can get 4 of these and it will be cheaper then the hydor. I don't think 3 of them will break. I also use the same brand canister filters for my freshwater tanks and they are great too.

+1 for the Hydor's. I have them in both of my nanos, and they work great. Mine are getting set-up as mixed reefs, and I've spent a lot of time reading up on flow. From what I've read, as you get into coral, a flow of about 40x your tank volume is considered moderate. I would love to be able to put mp10's in my tanks, and I'm sure that I'll end up going that route at some point. But for now, the Hydor's are very inexpensive and get great reviews. In my 29 I have a mj1200, which is rated at 290 gph. An then two Koralia's, one 425 and one 240. Actually, I'm going to go ahead and get another 240 to cover a back corner that looks a little sluggish. The Hydor smart wave maker can run up to 4 pumps, and allows for alternate flow. Hope that helps!

In my experience, cheap stuff is more expensive in the long run. They end up breaking or just not working well so you end up replacing them. I'd look at Jebo or Hydor if you are wanting a quality PH at a decent price.

+1 for jebeo:bounce1:

Back