Protocol for using antibiotics to treat infected anemones ~Added to 7/30/14

Just want to note that I had success treating a H. haddoni with 3 consecutive days of 5 hours cipro baths. The anemone was removed from the tank and placed into 3 gallons of cipro treated tank water. It was then returned to the tank after each treatment. It took an additional five days to show improvment.

Is it a good idea to use this treatment for all ritteri, etc, or only if worrisome symptoms present themselves?

I recommend only treat sick anemones. I would not treat healthy anemone "just in case" they are sick. Quarantine and treat if sick.

I recommend only treat sick anemones. I would not treat healthy anemone "just in case" they are sick. Quarantine and treat if sick.

That would be my inclination also; I've just read quite a few threads here that lament 'if only I'd started treatment sooner' .....

I think these are the cases where the reefers were not prepared, Med or equipment needed for treatment. There were never a question of if the anemone need treatment but how soon can the treatment started.

Is it possible to use a dip process with this medication? If one were to give the anemone a treatment bath for several hours in an unlighted dip tank, would that provide a similar result?

My green carpet Anemone had a gaping mouth and was not doing well. I received the specimen 30 days ago in perfect condition from one of my suppliers on the west coast. I placed the carpet in a Solanas 60 gallon mature reef tank with excellent water parameters. All of the other corals in this tank looked great including a vibrant pink bubble tip. For some reason the Green Carpet took a turn for the worst and started shrinking up in the tank and not attaching. I am trying your cure and would like to post my results; win or lose,but I am hoping for success! I am two days into it. So far I have setup a 5 gallon hospital tank and added 125mg tetracycline on day 1 as I did not have any Cipro on hand. My GF had some leftover so I used it out of sheer resourcefulness or should I say desperation. Not many people willing to write scripts for fish tanks around here. However, I was lucky to source Cipro from a local dentist who wrote me out a script even though the Anenome was not a patient :) Cost me $10 for 12 250mg tabs at CVS in case anyone is curious. I am now on the Cipro starting day 2. So far so good. I am taking pics and keeping track of everything. How and where do I post a thread with pics?

I bought FishFlox from VetDepot sans prescription, and a 5 day course following OrioN's suggested approach brought my Mag back from the brink.

....I am taking pics and keeping track of everything. How and where do I post a thread with pics?

Reply with the "Go Advanced" instead of "Post Quick Reply". Scroll down to "Manage Attachments" and attach the pictures from your files. Max size for the picture is 800X800.

Hope this help

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to have to add one to the loss column. I picked up a very small, 3.5" red haddoni (100% positive ID, not a tapetum) exactly one week ago today. It was inflated but its mouth was gaping so I immediately began QT with nightly doses of 250mg Cipro. This is the same 10 gallon QT set-up that I used to successfully treat a S. gigantea.

Each day the haddoni got progressively worse. I was removing brown pellets each morning.

Today I will probably pull the plug. It has fully not inflated for a couple of days now, and its mouth is gaping and I can see the innards starting to disintegrate. Tough loss. Had it made it it would've been a stunning specimen. I'm guessing that since it was so small it didn't have the energy v. surface area to rid it of its ailment.

This is the first time I have ever heard of using antibiotics as a treatment for anything in a reef tank. All I have to say is wow we love our anemones. Thanks for the education.

I have 3 anemone in my dt; rbta (1 year old), green haddoni (6 months), and a red haddoni (2 months).

I added a blue haddoni few weeks ago and it died.

At the time, I didn't think too much of it.
Just thought I had bad luck because rest of the anemones were doing well.
Soon, the rbta started to lose color and started to hide in the rocks.
Then the green haddoni started inflate deflate after eating a dead Hawaiian tang.

The red haddoni is the size of a silver dollar, so I can't tell if it's inflating/deflating.
It seems fine and it's eating quite frequently.

Can I do a cipro dip? If so, how? because I don't have a separate tank.
I guess I can go buy one but I don't know if the QT tank condition will be stable.

I have sps, lps, and softies.... can I drop cipro into the dt?

Any suggestion is appreciated, thanks guys!

I have 3 anemone in my dt; rbta (1 year old), green haddoni (6 months), and a red haddoni (2 months).

I added a blue haddoni few weeks ago and it died.
This may or may not cause the other anemones to get sick. These infections are not 100% infectious

Soon, the rbta started to lose color and started to hide in the rocks.
This may or may not due to the blue Haddoni

Then the green haddoni started inflate deflate after eating a dead Hawaiian tang.
If the dead tang was killed by the anemone, it likely OK but if the tang was dead for a while, like several hours, then it likely is full of bacterial and by eatting it, the anemone will end up with a full load of bacterial in it inside and get sick from this.

Can I do a cipro dip? If so, how? because I don't have a separate tank.
I guess I can go buy one but I don't know if the QT tank condition will be stable.

I have sps, lps, and softies.... can I drop cipro into the dt?
We should not use broad spectrum antibiotic in DT. The whole biological filtration of our tank depends on bacterial. Using a broad spectrum antibiotic on the tank will likely crash the tank, or best case really screw up the biological filtration.
DON'T DO IT

You are right, the tang was dead on the bottom of the tank. It was full of ichs the day before. Some one thought the anemone should eat it.

I will take your advice and get a QT tomorrow. It's not worth the risk at all.

Can I have both rbta and green haddoni in the same QT?

Thank you for your advice, I'll keep everyone updated.

Back