R/O Waste Water Uses

Can I ask what you do with all of that RO/DI water in a 30 gal tank, each week? I run a simialr sized tank and don't use anywhere near that amount.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14377295#post14377295 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lowredranger
At the moment i let the waste keep the pool filled up. I am not sure how that is going to go in the summer. It may cause more algae with the hot temperatures and all the tds in the water.
Do you run a natural system for your pool? If you have a chlorinated pool you'll have no problem with algae.

I recently built a new home that contains a tank room pretty much in the center. I had the builder run a PVC pipe through the wall from the tank room all the way to the outside. My intent was that the waste water would flow outside and topoff the swimming pool. Unfortunately, when we finally selected a pool installer, they claim that the RO/DI waste water will mess up the pool's water chemistry. In my previous home, I always saved the waste water in a large trash can and carried it outside in 5-gal buckets, and into the pool it went, with no ill consequences that I was ever aware of. So now I have this PVC pipe sticking out of the back of my house and a pool installer who is not willing to use the water. I guess I can direct it to the flower beds, but if anyone knows of any solid evidence that can help, I would really prefer to put the water in the pool.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14515831#post14515831 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RumLad
Can I ask what you do with all of that RO/DI water in a 30 gal tank, each week? I run a simialr sized tank and don't use anywhere near that amount.

4 gallons a week for water changes, another 3 or so for top-offs, so probably more like 7-8 gallons. I wasn't really calculating at the time, just taking a guess.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14523600#post14523600 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lotekfish
4 gallons a week for water changes, another 3 or so for top-offs, so probably more like 7-8 gallons. I wasn't really calculating at the time, just taking a guess.
Cheers :rollface:
I do about half of your water changes (4 gal every two weeks) and about a gallon a week in top off. I can get by with 10 gal / month.

I think the water going into the pool is fine as long as you are not having any algae issues. The reason the pool guy doesn't want the water in the pool is for the same reason you don't want the water in your fish tank, it will cause algae if the tds level in the pool gets too high.

I am currently letting mine go into the pool and figure when summer comes if i am having algae issues i will stop and start watering the plants with it again.

If you take your water to a pool store and have it tested a lot of times they will test for tds. I am not sure what the recommended level is for a pool but you could always have it tested and then in a month or so see where your levels are.

Jason

Thanks for answering that, Jason, appreciate it and that's pretty much on line with what I was thinking.

No problem, at the moment i am not making that much water so i don't think it will affect anything and you may want to check your tds coming off of your tap water vs your waste line and see how far apart they are. Then at least you would know how much extra you would be putting in with the waste water over regular water.

Agreed, I will do that. The concern is that I'm putting together a 450g tank, plus a 180g sump and a 75g frag tank. I'll be doing weekly 10% water changes, and I expect to lose about 5 gallons/day to evaporative losses. So I'll be making a substantial amount of RO/DI water, which will create A LOT of waste water. Considering that volume, the pool guy may just be correct in my case.

Yea and unless you are having a ton of evaporation from your pool you will probably end up with more water than it needs anyway.

I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW A HIGH(3-5 TDS)CAN BE A PROBLEM PUTTING WASTE WATER IN YOUR POOL BECAUSE IF YOUR POOL GETS LOW YOU TURN THE SUPPLY LINE ON(THAT THE POOL CONTRACTOR INSTALLED)AND IS HOOKED UP TO YOUR HOUSE MAIN.NOW WITH THAT SAID HERE IN CALI THE WATER IS AROUND 256 TDS FROM THE MAIN.JMO
IM TALKING ABOUT NO-SALT POOLS...

The TDS of my waste water from my RO unit is a fraction of what the TDS is of my pool. Maybe the pool guy probably doesn't want to add extra chlorine. In dry California, after many years, the pool TDS gradually increases as there is little rain water to dilute it and when it gets to 1000 or so ppm is when it is recommended to drain and refill so adding waste water of 300 TDS and allowing it to overflow to sewage actually keeps the TDS down in my case.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14640977#post14640977 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hammsreefbeer
SO THE WASTE WATER TDS IS HIGHIER THEN THE GOOD WATER?
NOW IM REALLY CONFUSED:confused: :confused:

Yes. Waste water has the TDS that is normally in your tap water plus what is taken out of your RO clean/product water.

like the channels on my rk2,,,lol.now thats funny.
thanks for the heads up ken,i told you im not computer smart i still type with 2 fingers:D

:thumbsup:

I should look at your RK2 for you. Have you emailed DA support yet?

yes,monday night and posted in their yhread twice.
did you read my post?#7 controls #8 and so on....
like i said we can trade time for square feet.:thumbsup:

It's water. When you dump it down the drain, it still ends up somewhere. My water comes from a well, when pumped through the RO/DI, the waste water goes into the drain, which goes into the septic tank, which is filtered there and goes back into the ground, completing the cycle!:)

Back