Reef Octopus "POV" PRO-SSS-DC1 thoughts?

Just received my DC1. It will replace my 8 year serving skimmer.

Assembled and run in a vinegar water bath for 12 hours and will install today. Seems very quiet and made remarkable bubbles for fresh water running. We shall see. The plastic parts seem robust and well made and hopefully not a chemically deficient plastic as is all too common with Chinese manufactured products. But, the construction looks very nice and I particularly noted the radiused transitions in pipes, an uncommon detail.

Two suggestions for Reef Octopus: have the "instructions" re-written by a US schooled person plus inclusion of more details. Second, the Styrofoam block in which this was packed broke down into a myriad of beads which infiltrated seemingly sealed component bags, adhered to all plastic parts and even invaded the inside of the pump motor. Just needs a better quality packing material. I unpacked this with a vacuum cleaner in hand..., frustrating.

I'm liking the reviews of this skimmer. I thinks it between the RLSS 6i and this one. The RLSS is coming out with a better 6i version in a few weeks. Not sure I want to be the guinea pig for it though.

DC-1 on line a couple days and still breaking in. Air inlet is quite loud though not too objectionable with cabinet closed. I added a silencer I had made up some years ago and cut the volume by 50% or more. Simply, a soft plastic medicine bottle with a push on barb screwed into the lid and small holes drilled in the bottom of the bottle. I add some cotton which also serves as a filter. In the past I have included charcoal. This plugs into the existing silencer with the black rubber elbow I found in the parts bag. Bigger bottle, baffles and more effort and it would be quieter...very simple.

Turns out most of the noise is coming from the pump, or where the air meets the pump/water I should say. Got the silencer "silent" and the noise is still there :(

Is this a normal part of the break in period or is there an issue with the pump or a corresponding part? Here is a video of the bubble plate area, you can also hear the noise it is still making.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmzTv2etXnM

This sounds like either a bad pump or the pump is not seated correctly in the skimmer body. My skimmer does not sound like that.

Has anyone had to clean the build-up from the venturi yet? Do you have to disasemble the POV skimmer to do so?

I haven't cleaned a damn thing on the skimmer yet, not even the cup. I just keep on sucking the poop out with my python hose. Still keeps trucking like a beast.

This sounds like either a bad pump or the pump is not seated correctly in the skimmer body. My skimmer does not sound like that.

It is seated correctly as far as I can tell. I've had it apart countless times to take pictures/video for Jeremy. No conclusions as of yet...he requested more pictures/video of it running in various configurations.

Really frustrated at this point as every response so far has been a request for more pictures and no talk of replacing anything :(

Jeremy finally told me to ship the pump/volute/bubble plate/impeller in for repair/replacement. Sadly it would seem they expect me to pay to ship them their defective merchandise...

It took me quite a while to get Jeremy to replace a bad pump (not a DC) for me, after considerable effort as with you. I suspect he is pressed with either a return budget or some pressure to control what could get out of hand. Still, the negatives created with our connected society probably result in lost sales. Not what they intended with their good warranty. Even a mediocre product sells well with outstanding service and there are some good examples of excellent service in our reefing community.

Melev (Marc at Melev's reef) makes a very attractive simple skimmer stand. Just an FYI. Not adjustable but cleaner looking.

FYI
Looking hard at these POVs, the open volute design is a true breakthrough we see few of those in a tried and true filter like a skimmer.

It took me quite a while to get Jeremy to replace a bad pump (not a DC) for me, after considerable effort as with you. I suspect he is pressed with either a return budget or some pressure to control what could get out of hand. Still, the negatives created with our connected society probably result in lost sales. Not what they intended with their good warranty. Even a mediocre product sells well with outstanding service and there are some good examples of excellent service in our reefing community.

I can only hope it ends well for me :)

Requested that Jeremy send me a new pump/impeller assembly along with a return shipping tag for my defective parts. Was told they don't have any of it in stock, but ordered it in case mine can't be repaired. Have been out of town all weekend, but intend to tell him I'll simply wait for the new stuff to arrive and they can ship it to me as I do not want to be out a skimmer for 2-4 weeks.

Things are looking good :D Jeremy is sending me a new pump, volute and venturi next week that have all been pretested!

Can finally see what this thing can do when operating correctly.

How long have people been seeing to get past the "tea" stage (POV-1). This replaced an 8 year old skimmer on a system of that age. The bubble column looks great and I can get a foam head at the top of the cup, but not much skimmate after almost two weeks. An odd (to me) anomaly is that it seems to produce the best dry head on 5 but foam level drops from 4, requiring about one turn on the overflow to raise it back up. I should think the faster running pump would drive both water and foam higher for a given gate opening.

Ill be reviewing my opening and set up of DC-2 as soon as it settles in completely. Proly diff thread for the larger model version.

2wnu7ir.jpg

HI guys!!
Iam interest to buy a DC1 skimmer...do you think it's enough for a large bioload 120 gallons tank ?
Thank...sorry for bad english!
David

HI guys!!
Iam interest to buy a DC1 skimmer...do you think it's enough for a large bioload 120 gallons tank ?
Thank...sorry for bad english!
David

I was told by Jeremy that the DC1 can hold up to 200 on a light bioload but anything over 100 with medium/high bioload he would go with dc2

I purchased the dc2 because I'm upgrading to a 150 and I suggest the dc2 with you as well if what jeremy says hold true.

The dc2 is amazing. It makes foam right away. The pump is dead quiet.

Back