Reef Octopus "POV" PRO-SSS-DC1 thoughts?

I would like to hope that excess micros could be fixed with modifying the sump water level and the skimmer outlet, while still allowing you to run it full blast... otherwise that would suck.

Hi everybody! I am very interested in buying one of these skimmers but I am unsure of which one to buy. I have a heavily stocked 100 gallon. Is the numbers correct in your opinion where a DC1 would handle it? I'm leaning tward a DC2 just to be on the safe side. Please let me know what everybody thinks. Thanks!

Received the replacement pump/venturi/volute last week and installed them, unfortunately the skimmer is still making the same noise. The new pump is also loud (couldn't hear the old one running), noticeable whining sound when it ramps up or down and a constant loud hum that can be heard a distance from the tank (sump is enclosed in the stand).

Very disappointed as I was hoping the new parts would go in and work beautifully. Sent another email, no idea how they'll want to handle it from this point...

Received the replacement pump/venturi/volute last week and installed them, unfortunately the skimmer is still making the same noise. The new pump is also loud (couldn't hear the old one running), noticeable whining sound when it ramps up or down and a constant loud hum that can be heard a distance from the tank (sump is enclosed in the stand).

Very disappointed as I was hoping the new parts would go in and work beautifully. Sent another email, no idea how they'll want to handle it from this point...

Probably send the whole thing back for a new one. Nobody else is complaining
about this issue, so you probably just got a bad one :(

Good luck !

I'm very curious to hear about this, did you post a video or some way I can see what happens. I've had mine chatter a bit but nothing a little adjusting couldn't fix. If I just missed your video lmk,

Thanks!
Kris

Jeremy at Coralvue said the sro 1000, diablo dcs 150, and the pov dc1 would all work good on my tank. I'm leaning twards the pov dc1.

Hey guys.

I've been running my POV-DC1 for over a month now and am having some serious issues.

The pump does this chugging thing. The only way I can get it to stop is by largely restricting the air intake. (I have the black stopper on one air inlet and a piece of tape covering over 1/3 of the other).

I also have to close the gate valve 80-90% closed to get anything in the collection cup. So I am thinking I have a seriously defective pump.

I have tried adjusting it in every way possible. Clearing the air intake. Inspecting the equipment.

The chugging knocks down the foam head and sounds like a laundry machine in my living room.

Here is a video: http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/Photobucket-LC/media/DSC_0153_zpsc3ef0f0c.mp4.html?sort=3&o=1

Bioload: 4 fish
Tank: 57g Illuminata
Running it at about 6".

I was going to try to get a refund, but after seein Jonny's skimmate, I am thinking about going for a replacement pump, volute, and venturi.

What do you think?

I sent you a pm Kole just an idea

In essence these chugging pumps make the most sense if they are not getting proper water suction either via too much air too quick or whatever. They are starved for water so you have to turn your attention to everything around the pump and the suction/Venturi fitting.

One thing that I did as I was reinstalling the skimmer after a cleaning is to absolutely make sure the suction/venturi portion of your assembly is in the hole. It sounds silly but because the pump/POV assembly doesn't have a way to attach it to the btm of the skimmer to insure alignment. The entire bottom of your skimmer is the water inlet.

My .02

Last edited:
I sent you a pm Kole just an idea

In essence these chugging pumps make the most sense if they are not getting proper water suction either via too much air too quick or whatever. They are starved for water so you have to turn your attention to everything around the pump and the suction/Venturi fitting.

One thing that I did as I was reinstalling the skimmer after a cleaning is to absolutely make sure the suction/venturi portion of your assembly is in the hole. It sounds silly but because the pump/POV assembly doesn't have a way to attach it to the btm of the skimmer to insure alignment. The entire bottom of your skimmer is the water inlet.

My .02

I've tried fiddling with the pump to make sure it is sitting right. Haven't seen a difference.

kris4647 said:
I think when it goes into these outbreaks instead of taping it off I'd replace the black cap and use your finger over the other venturi to drive water into the pump area. Slowly peel your finger off the intake. I've done it several times.

You can sorta see it in your head(sounds dumb) but if the wheel is in a pocket of air it lurches due to no resistance. Then it's going fast and blows the next slug of water out. There's no smooth pull of air into the water and constant flow.

It has to be starving for water.

Just spent a half hour trying out that priming method in every way possible. But it didn't work. :-(

It quieted it a bit, but did not completely stop the chugging. I thought it would work, your explanation made perfect sense.

I appreciate the help though.

I've tried fiddling with the pump to make sure it is sitting right. Haven't seen a difference.

Just spent a half hour trying out that priming method in every way possible. But it didn't work. :-(

It quieted it a bit, but did not completely stop the chugging. I thought it would work, your explanation made perfect sense.

I appreciate the help though.

If you look back up the thread, you will see I have the exact same "chugging" problem. I've suggested to Jeremy that the venturi may be incorrectly sized but I don't think he converses on design issues. Note: I have had two Octopus Bubble Blasters and they have had significantly different venturi specifications for the same model (and did not produce the same results). Quality control?Anyone have caliper dimensions for the venturi air and water orifices on a properly functioning DC-1 skimmer?

If you look back up the thread, you will see I have the exact same "chugging" problem. I've suggested to Jeremy that the venturi may be incorrectly sized but I don't think he converses on design issues. Note: I have had two Octopus Bubble Blasters and they have had significantly different venturi specifications for the same model (and did not produce the same results). Quality control?Anyone have caliper dimensions for the venturi air and water orifices on a properly functioning DC-1 skimmer?

Good point.

If you look at Jonny's POV and my POV (the too extremes, right :mad:), there has to a difference in the equipment somewhere. It very well could be the venturi.

Either RO has released different (or improved) sizes of the venturi that we do not know about or they have bad quality control so the size varies from one venturi to another (which would be very bad).

There is clearly something wrong or defective with the one I got, which makes me all the angrier that Jeremy had tried to convince me that this chugging is "a normal part of the break in process".

Last edited:
The surface tension answer does come up a lot.

Question is; are there any DC2's acting the same way? My DC2 is phenomenal. I would say it could be the pump. Is the Venturi assembly common to both?

Which skimmer would you choose ? I can't decide :(

1. POV DC3 9"
2. SKIMZ SM 253
3. RLSS DB 10-i

I have a heavily stock 170 mixed reef

Thanks

My water level is to spec, 6" (I think it was.)

I measured the venturi ID at .52" but didn't measure the air inlet. Then too, have something to do with the holes in the volute plate restricting both/either air or water flow.

Still after 4+ weeks producing limited volume of tea, significantly deficient compared to my eight year old design would do.

Waiting for replacement parts.

Do you think the DC1 would be good for a cadlights 50G? How about the omega 120(or 130 I can't remember) that still isn't out yet.

Back