Reef Octopus "POV" PRO-SSS-DC1 thoughts?

Good point.

If you look at Jonny's POV and my POV (the too extremes, right :mad:), there has to a difference in the equipment somewhere. It very well could be the venturi.

Either RO has released different (or improved) sizes of the venturi that we do not know about or they have bad quality control so the size varies from one venturi to another (which would be very bad).

There is clearly something wrong or defective with the one I got, which makes me all the angrier that Jeremy had tried to convince me that this chugging is "a normal part of the break in process".

Kole: pump cavitation is what I think is going on. But, what is the root cause? If we all work on this, the answer will emerge.

Kole: pump cavitation is what I think is going on. But, what is the root cause? If we all work on this, the answer will emerge.

Maybe the pump is more prone to cavitation due to the way it is sitting. (Vertical instead of horizontal)

That or there is something up with the venturi.

Now that everybody has had their POV DC skimmer working for a while, how is it working for ya ? Have you worked out the issues....micro bubbles, noisy silencer ect, Would like to hear, before i purchase one :)

Thanks !

Maybe the pump is more prone to cavitation due to the way it is sitting. (Vertical instead of horizontal)
That or there is something up with the venturi.

I'd be careful with that particular nomenclature. I think the problems share some qualities but strictly speaking I'm not even sure you can use the term cavitate on a pin wheel based pump since it produces no discharge pressure. Also the vertical pump is doing well in everyone I've talked to with a DC2. I dunno honestly. I don't know how much of a sample size we are seeing here just not sure; not enough responses. All respectfully said just my opinions.

Goreef I'd check out my DC2 thread/review I honestly think you'll find everything addressed there minus this mystery problem that some of the DC1 folks are having (with videos so you can judge for yourself.

One thing I think people should keep in mind is these skimmers represent new technology. They are pulling more air than most comparatively sized BKs and ATBs (just a few I consider to be at the top of the game.) There's gonna be some growing pains. Now it's how CV deals with the issues.

wish I knew how to post pictures but I left for jamaica for 6 days. Came back and my DC2 cup was black. Not tea, or brown or dark brown. It was black. I have a light bioload.

I have it hooked into my APEX so I can tell you what the difference in amps from my previous skimmer and with this skimmer.

Previously, I had the Reef Octopus XS160 with the PSK-2500 pump and my amp usage read 2.9 VIA APEX controller

I have the DC2 ramped at level 4 speed because it's currently on my 90g and I don't want to "over-skim" until I upgrade to my 150g soon.

My amp reading VIA APEX is 2.2 with the DC2

I'm getting A LOT more skimmed with less wattage for sure. Feel bad for the guy with the dc1 problems. There's bound to be a few with problems. RO can't make them perfect all the time. Good thing there's the warranty.

As for me, I love my dc2. Once it's dial in, and my ATO is at the exact level I want it, I don't even touch it. Skims like a beast. I just cleaned it out 30 minutes ago and it's skimming again. Never had a skimmer this good before.

I'm very curious to hear about this, did you post a video or some way I can see what happens. I've had mine chatter a bit but nothing a little adjusting couldn't fix. If I just missed your video lmk,

Thanks!
Kris

Good to know I'm not the only one with this issue.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmzTv2etXnM

My water level is to spec, 6" (I think it was.)

I measured the venturi ID at .52" but didn't measure the air inlet. Then too, have something to do with the holes in the volute plate restricting both/either air or water flow.

Still after 4+ weeks producing limited volume of tea, significantly deficient compared to my eight year old design would do.

Waiting for replacement parts.

Jeremy sent me a new pump/venturi/volute that was pretested in a skimmer body before being sent to me. He said it worked perfectly... Same problem once installing in my skimmer body. This should narrow down the possible causes, but I still have no clue what it is.

I asked him if it could be a somehow defective power supply and or controller, but haven't heard back yet. From a previous image he sent me, I believe he thought the problem was the venturi being to close to the bubble plate.

Also made Jeremy aware of this thread long ago, I'm sure he has looked at it at least once, hopefully more.

Could the chugging be an issue with the pump's torque?

Feel bad for the guy with the dc1 problems. There's bound to be a few with problems. RO can't make them perfect all the time. Good thing there's the warranty.

I wish we knew what those problems were.

What does the warranty cover. I can't find any info on it. Or how you can use it.

The only thing other than the skimmer that came in the box was a poorly written instruction book.

I asked him if it could be a somehow defective power supply and or controller, but haven't heard back yet. From a previous image he sent me, I believe he thought the problem was the venturi being to close to the bubble plate.

Now how the heck does a venturi move closer to a bubble plate when they are solidly attached to eachother?

Last edited:
Now how the heck does a venturi move closer to a bubble plate when they are solidly attached to eachother?

He sent me this picture during our emails back and forth (it actually looks like a picture I sent him that someone "drew" on). Looks like it is from the manufacturer to him as an explanation? Wouldn't say it moves, but was manufactured to the wrong size perhaps.

Jeremy is supposed to hear back from the manufacturer tomorrow about the problem, hopefully with another potential solution. He did say if we can't get it fixed I can ship it all back to him and he'll contact the store I purchased it from and they'll issue me a refund or credit. Good to know I have a way out, would hate to be stuck with a $500+ skimmer that doesn't work properly.

I posted this in the other POV thread to bu figured id add it here.

I want to try and cover most of the issues in the latest posts. Below is what I have done to reduce MB, and get the best performance out of this skimmer.
You can see in the video how the skimmer performs. So for those with MB issues or tea like skimmate give the below a try. I am not saying it will fix your issues but give it a shot.

My recommendations to configure these skimmers are as follows:

1. Try to keep it in as close to 6.5 inches of water.
2. Do not submerge the entire output pipe.
3. Run it on full speed, the variable speed is cool but IMO kinda pointless. I wanted very low wattage so i was attracted to the DC pump.
4. Lift it up so there is more space between the intake and the floor of the sump.

I was probably one of if not the first to get this skimmer. I messed around with it a lot. I did not document all of it. The only thing i never measured was how much air it pulls. My previous skimmer was a monster, MSX 200 modded and i added the BB3000 to it. This thing blows it out of the water with consistency and performance.

Check out the video below, I am trying to show how it really is how you take care of the micro bubbles after the skimmer out take. You can see i have a ton of MB from my drain, i would shut it down to show the MB from just the skimmer but that usually makes it overflow because the water level rises in the skimmer when the return pump is off. You can see in the return section of the sump there are pretty much no MB, and there are no MB in my display.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoze5...ature=youtu.be

Johnny,

The issue here isn't microbubbles at all, while those are great tips you may want to read their posts and watch Seiryoku's video and solve that problem.

I made it out with minor flesh wounds Cong :p

Johnny,

The issue here isn't microbubbles at all, while those are great tips you may want to read their posts and watch Seiryoku's video and solve that problem.

I made it out with minor flesh wounds Cong :p

That post more more toward marc nichols, Seiryoku - yeah i have no freaking clue whats going on with his.

Still hope to hear back from Jeremy today with a resolution. He did tell me that there are about 150 DC1's out there and this issue has popped up with 3.

Not sure if it helps, or matters, at all, but I took some readings with a Kill A Watt. All readings are with the pump set to 4.

Voltage was fluctuating by about .1

Amps were fluctuating by about .02

Wattage fluctuates, constantly, between 16 and 17 watts. Have a video of it, but it doesn't want to upload to youtube at the moment.

What is the wattage at 6 Ser?

Didn't check, but I can this evening after work. If I put the pump on 5 or 6 the level in the skimmer actually drops and I have to close the valve to compensate. Only been running on 4 per Jeremy's instructions, until it is broken in (using the new pump he sent me).

Fix broken link for my video from above:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uoze5bKMXJ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Itl57qvKhKU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back