Rhinopias Owners ..

I do but it only turns on after hours when it detect motion.
I had a brand new Canon Rebel and a laptop on my desk next to the tank, I would assume they would steal that not a poisonous fish. I just have trouble believing he could jump

In our case I believed that someone who has in the past been employed by the building managers or a relation to one of the cleaning people had a key -- they stole little things -- like a beer out of the fridge or little plant pots from Mexico -- they did find the petty cash and steal $200. But not much of value -- bets -- dares -- immature stuff really. We have all kinds of valuable equipment that never went missing. So I assume you checked and the camera never turned on?

I have never seen mine even go up the rock let alone jump out of the tank. There just is no way! I cannot see how that could happen. What would get him so upset that he would do that? Did the two get along okay? Were all of the anthias finally wiped out? I know you said you had one left. I am so sorry once again -- this stinks in the worst possible way.

YIKES! who'd have ever thunk it? sorry as heck to hear about your fish...it was a beauty.

we lost a red fuzzy and a nice barchin scorp to carpet surfing...i can see the fuzzy doing it, but not a bottom-camper, unless it was spooked or there was a water issue.

seahorsedreams posted a link to a video on youtub and there were other rhinopias videos there. I watched several of them and some were dive videos as you could hear the bubbles -- anyway -- even scared in the ocean they did not swim up -- they could scoot but it was always along the bottom. The whole thing just seems very weird. My tank does not have a top ... maybe it is time for some eggcrate!

Sherri, they do indeed "swim" upward. Not graceful but they can stay up there longer than they look like they can. Now jump!!... I don't know how they would propel themselves out of the water.

Hey Renee -- you are probably right that they can do that --- I don't know how much room they need to get height? I don't see them going straight up??? And as you say -- how can they jump? Their physical makeup and fin structure does not seem terribly "aerodynamic" to me. Mine jumps around but if he gets 1 inch off the bottom I would be surprised. They can lunge at prey but they push off the bottom for that. Do you have tops on your tanks with them in it?

Sorry for the fish jumping. Its rare but does happen.
I even had a inimicus launch itself from the tank, talk about nonaerodynamic

believe me when these guys get the inclination they can move. So while i would not expect the fish to jump, they are certainly capable of doing so.

IIRC, your tank had live rock stacked up til about 1/3 from the top, so this may have given him a good starting point

I am putting a netting over the new tank!!!!!

Ours have gotten their face out of the water. It's usually when we first get them and we are all standing around staring at them.... can't help it. And then the camera..... but I digress :)

I've seen them do it a few times when they were really hungry. Like they'll be walking around and "swimming" and then once I feed them, they stop. What are they doing? Trying to leave their area to find a location with better food opportunities?

Well, that's amazing that they could launch that far. My tank does have rock about two thirds of the way up so I am going to cover as I mentioned. But why would they do that? My question too ...

if you think about it, there really isn't anywhere for a captive fish to go but UP (without smacking into a wall), for whatever reason...water quality, fright, excitement, etc.

it's making me consider planning a cover on the 100 gal, since we were planning an open top tank.

True .. guess it was just plain disbelief and having just lost some fishies -- could not believe one of these guys would jump. Guess I just need to keep quiet!

hey,
I can not beleive that Rhinopias jumps.... even if the level of your water was very high given of your tank.
That seems pretty incredible to me as they can barely move.

By the way, they are (or now the one left is) wonderful!

They can move a lot -- mine is hopping around right now. But he has never, in the month that I have had him, been anywhere near the middle of the tank let alone the top.

I am amazed that the Rhino jumped out. So sorry for your lose. By far one of my all time favorite fish I have ever kept. I actually bought my frondosa for $200. The guy at the LFS said it was a scorpion and wasn't sure what it was but I certainly did and jumped at the chance. Mine did lose the intense yellow color over time. I had him for a 1 1/2 years until I sold him because I was going in a different direction with the tank. Again sorry for your loss..... Hopefully you have learned something from the expierence and get another one soon. Thought I would share some pics of some Rhinos. The first one was mine and the second is my dream Rhino. Some classify them as "aphanes". Tim
IMG_2489-1.jpg

IMG_3500-1.jpg

IMG_2984.jpg

MY DREAM RHINO
5.jpg

Some others.....
f0156300_15501019.jpg

f0156300_21155625.jpg

d0104746_20584434.jpg

at04.jpg

Tim- great photos you attached, the only R aphanes in your pictures is "My dream Rhino"
you can see very clearly that maze patterns. All the rest are either R eschmeyeri or R frondosa. and I'm sorry to say including your fish.
Its easy to remember,
no pattern- R eschmeyeri
oscellation= R frondosa
maze pattern=R aphanes
and while patterns are not the only conclusive way- its fairly accurate.

The other cool fish you attached (has machinegun-cast on it), appears to be a fish that doesn't make into the hobby, if its from Japanese waters then it would most likely be a R argoliba, however R xenop would be the other choice from water outside of japan

They turn some amazing colors. Mine is changing a little away from the yellow. I too wold love to add a aphanes in with my frondosa........keep dreaming I guess.

Back