Rhinopias Owners ..

sherri-
The body adornments and dermal projections vary tremendously w/ the location of the fish, these fish appear very plastic (meaning the variability is huge) in their decorations. I've seen Frondosa that looked exceptionally hairy and Aphanes that were almost smooth. Thats fish i linked to in the reefkeeper article is one of the more "hairy" looking fish I've seen- regardless- there are no current ways to DNA type these fish- so right now the best we have to go on is morphometrics and morphology.
So if your fish is happy & healthy- then great. Considering how lucky you you guys are to keep these fish and keep them healthy. I just recieved word from a fishkeeper friend- who works at a public aquarium and had 2 Rhinopias (very expensive and amazing coloration-their photos will end up in said book)- both succumbed over the past few days. These are challenging fish to keep alive and healthy.
So if your successful- great-
we can debate the species of your fish-ad infinitum

Lastly,- R eschmeyeri tend to be collected in the Philippines- Frondosa and aphanes-indonesia

Geez -- don't mean to be upsetting -- just really curious about the fish. Any word as to why they died? I am mostly concerned about diet for my guy. Just not sure he is getting what he really needs. The eye cleared up again after his latest molt. Seems to go back and forth.

Hey sherry--nope not upset at all. Sorry if I came across as short. I dont think we'll ever come to a consensus on what this fish is, guess thats really where i was going w/ this

yikes, Frank...

how long did the aquarium have them?

Renee and i consider ourselves lucky to have such great-looking, healthy specimens, but there's always that "Rhinos are usually short-lived in captivity" thing you often hear in the backs of our minds. That being said, we both agree that we've more than gotten "our money's worth" out of our two Rhinos...every day, we're amazed at how awesome they are.

of course, all of our scorps/wasps/stingfish are pretty cool, each of their own way...

The LFS says he thinks he was collected in Indonesia. We PM'd and he says he thinks that he looks like a frondosa, the supplier said that they came in labeled as aphanes -- so I guess we will say he is a frondosa. But I will still take a look at the spots just for the fun of it.

I never knew these guys were short lived! How short lived are we talking about? For some reason that never came up in my research ....

nobody has ever given me "a number", but they SHOULDN'T be short-lived, based on the typical lifespans of other scorps, and to be honest, i think lack of proper nutrition is a HUGE part of the equation for most of the "hard to keep" species. sometimes even fish that eat well aren't getting what they need (i'm not just talking scorps here).

many years back, my first volitans lived for about 10 years, which is really only about half of what they should, and i attribute its "early" demise to poor nutrition. i fed it primarily frozen and freeze-dried krill, which is what was suggested to me by the LFS, but i digress. this was almost 20 years ago.

there are still plenty of folks who say that you can't keep SH alive in captivity as well, and we know plenty of peeps (incl. ourselves) who have no trouble with it, providing their nutritional and other "special" needs are met.

at any rate, we're hoping that a good, varied diet will result in our Rhinos being around for many years to come.

renee--
they should be long lived, as most scorpionfish are.
However until recently Rhinopias were unaffordable to the common person, so only public aquaria displayed them, and the public aquarium data suggest they are short lived.
Since regular folk now keep rhinopias we are starting to see reports of 3-5yrs being common

I am weeping ... just missed out on a R. Argoliba. So my guy has been getting mostly sliversides and a few live feeders. He did eat a shrimp once but hasn't taken another one. Will try some other food and see what happens ....and will keep stuffing his silversides!

Sherri--
your supplier has access to R. Argoliba?
Wow-- any photos

BTW its a temperate water fish, found primarily in the ocean north of Japan.

i think Sherri needs to hook us all up with her supplier!

besides the Japanese Rhinos, there are some lions and others that we "need". ;)

Yes -- my LFS mentioned that he just missed getting it from the same supplier that got my Rhino! Pictures are hard to find of those guys and I did not see a picture. I will ask him if he got a picture. I can also connect everyone up to see about finding some of those hard to find scorps if you want.

R. argoliba is known as the "Japanese Scorpionfish", and is actually a rather plain-looking fish in comparison to the more well-known Rhinos. imagine a red R. eshmeyeri with no dermal appendages at all. one trait they do have, which is rather cool, is a white "teardrop" running from its orbital down its snout. in fact, "argoliba" is from the Greek, meaning "white teardrop". the species was originally described by Eschmeyer.

"hello, my name is Greg, and i'm a scorp addict..."

Okay -- now I am worried about him again. It is now day four and he is showing no interest in food again. I thought I was in the clear because he ate and his eye seemed to clear up. Bot now he is breathing hard. And I do not have a QT tank to put him in as my QT has fish in it in hypo. Suggestions? Help? Do a freshwater dip?

So freshwater dip -- use RODI water, match temp and Ph, dip for 1 minute, rinse in clean RODI again matched for temp and Ph, rinse in tank water and put back in tank?

Sherri,

are the major water params OK? no spikes?

what about O2 levels? do you have plenty of surface turbulance?

is the temp spiking?

i dunno if you should dip the fish unless you have reason to suspect an ectoparasitic infestation such as gill flukes. sometimes a dip might push a weakened fish over the edge.

then again, i'm not the best fish doctor...

Water params are fine -- it really never is the params -- it is a 365 g system. Everytime I measure they are fine -- zero nitrates, phosphates, etc. Just to test it out I put a live feeder fish in -- now maybe he was sleepy but he ignored it completely. It was swimming in front of him -- even stayed right in front of him. No reaction. I have the water ready -- the Ph is matched and the temp is getting there -- so will do nothing tonight. My husband thinks his breathing is fine. Maybe I am just paranoid because he has not eaten for four days. Not sure what to do.

Back