SC 150 skimmer review pics

Hello all, I read through this entire thread but am still a bit off. I am putting together the compartment in my sump where my future SCA-302 skimmer will go...
Will this skimmer fit "comfortably" in a 9x12 space or should i make it a bit bigger?
It would be great if i could see a picture of the 302 with a ruler laid next to it ; )

I'm setting up a 40 breeder with a 20L sump. Plan is to have try to keep some zoas (they always seem to melt) loads of LPS and venturing into SPS, and about 5+ fish.

What skimmer would you all recommend? I'm going to have a tall stand. I was leaning towards the SCA-303.

Thank you!

Bump.

Skimmer came in ( SCA-302) 3 days after ordering still waiting on the XL skimmer cup unfortunately the impeller well was glued shut so I don't have a access to it:headwally: which is gonna be a total pain in the *** in the long run

Here's a picture I took today of the skimmate from my 302. I wish I had smellavision, because this skimmer always produces some rank stuff.

2013-01-02171945.jpg

This is my 20gallon sump/ refugium plans... Will the SCA-302 Skimmer fit in my 9in X 12in skimmer section ?
imagejpeg_3_zps50cec9b8.jpg

Close up of the skimmer section... Will the 302 skimmer fit in a 9in x 12in area or can it be 8 1/2in X 12in...?
imagejpeg_2_zps65c3dfe5.jpg

This is my 20gallon sump/ refugium plans... Will the SCA-302 Skimmer fit in my 9in X 12in skimmer section ?

Yes it will fit in your sump of 9X12. The skimmers actual dimensions are listed as 9" X 9.5" X 18".

You will find you will need to install on angle so blue adjustment handle/control is fitting in the corner. Otherwise it will be just to snug.

Mine was a VERY snug fit, so I broke off my first bubble wall (one of 3 descending acrylic plates, I believe to help dissipate bubbles) of my sump.

A friend of mine also bought this skimmer and I helped him set it up and we had to install diagonally AND on the 2 base corners(opposite the blue handle) I used a dremel tool to cut off the corner(basically about 3/4" from tip back) so it would fit on the angle.

Hope that helps.

Hey guys, I'm hoping for some help. I have a SC-301 coming (formerly the SC-65) and I'm curious as to the size of the skimmer cup. I'm building my stand and want to make sure that I have enough room to remove the cup. Can someone tell me what the size of the cup is from the part where it goes into the skimmer neck to the top of the cup?

Hey guys, I'm hoping for some help. I have a SC-301 coming (formerly the SC-65) and I'm curious as to the size of the skimmer cup. I'm building my stand and want to make sure that I have enough room to remove the cup. Can someone tell me what the size of the cup is from the part where it goes into the skimmer neck to the top of the cup?

Just measured the 301 cup and it looks like it's 4" to 4.25" tall with the lid on.
Hope that helps. That is from the part of the neck that goes into skimmer body
all the way to the lid.

Last edited:
Just measured the 301 cup and it looks like it's 4" to 4.25" tall with the lid on.
Hope that helps. That is from the part of the neck that goes into skimmer body
all the way to the lid.

Thanks so much. How much more room do you think I need to lift and remove the cup to clean it?

Thanks so much. How much more room do you think I need to lift and remove the cup to clean it?

Not much 1 to 1.5" maybe less. Bottom part of cup isn't very long at all.
I would say if you have 6" of room before the cup is on you would easily be able
to remove and clean. Maybe less room? This is just a guess but I would say no more than 6" before the cup was installed. So 20" of stand height would be enough for sure.
Edit to add: If it were I building a stand I would build it big enough so you can upgrade to a larger skimmer just in case this skimmer isn't enough later down the road.

Not much 1 to 1.5" maybe less. Bottom part of cup isn't very long at all.
I would say if you have 6" of room before the cup is on you would easily be able
to remove and clean. Maybe less room? This is just a guess but I would say no more than 6" before the cup was installed. So 20" of stand height would be enough for sure.
Edit to add: If it were I building a stand I would build it big enough so you can upgrade to a larger skimmer just in case this skimmer isn't enough later down the road.

I agree with you. However, on my last tank I hated having a tall stand. Not only was it an uncomfortable viewing angle, but the light bleed without a canopy was so bad. I purposely am trying to make this stand as short as possible.

And hey, if down the road I need a bigger skimmer, I'll build another stand. Just one more project to tackle. :)

I have the SC150, with mesh wheel impeller from reef-filtration. It is sat in 8.5 inches of water, and set to 3.5. I removed the rubber suction cups from the base, and it sits flush without them.

The sump holds about 10 gallons, and the display is 18 gallons. There are two [juvenile] fish; a fairy wrasse and a midas blenny. I run biopellets.

Currently I feed a small amount of reef frenzy each day to the fish. As a result there is not much to skim. The sps is growing, but very slowly. The plan is to being feeding frozen cyclopleeze every night. A local reefer suggested a piece about the size of half a Mysis cube. How much do you think I should feed?

I use an all purpose home made mixture that works for coral and fish. I have good coral growth. It's basically some health food store bought seaweed, some #2 pellets, spirulina flakes, ova, cyclopeze, shrimp, mussels and scallops, a few drops of vitamins (selcon) and then blend in a food processor. All kinds of particle sizes result feeding everybody, carnivore, herbivore and corals of all types that feed. I stick the mixture in 1 gallon ziplock freezer bags, press flat and brake off and defrost as needed. Oh I do rinse the mixture using some fine mesh as the sieve to get rid of as much phosphate as I can in the frozen food and flakes and pellets before I bag it up. You also save a lot of money this way!

Question. Im going grab an SCA skimmer off ebay this weekend but need some help. I am setting up a 45g cube, 24x24x18 mixed reef. I have a 20g long for a sump. Water volume will be less then 60g will I be ok with the 301 or should I get the 303 ?
Thanks

Back