Serpentman's 300g upgrade

Love your tank!

Love your tank!

Serpentman,

I really like your aquascaping. I'm starting build on a marineland 150 dd, 3 foot by 3 foot. I'm new to this and wondering what size of live rocks to get to replicate your aquascape (2-3 islands, one large in corner, one slightly smaller and then a small one in front maybe). Did you use any shelf rock or just pieces of live rock? I'm thinking of about 60 pounds pukani dry rock from brs and about 40 pounds buna ultra from premium aquatics. Is that too much rock? Not enough? Do you (or anyone else out there) have any suggestions? What size rocks did you use in your tank? Thanks!! Again, great tank! :D

Don't overload your tank with to much rock. I did that following the 1.5lbs/gallon rule and I have way to much rock. I took some out to make room. remember leave room for the fish to swim and corals to grow.

Been like forever since I've posted here. Been MIA due to a new job that takes me out of town a lot. Thought I'd post a close post.

Some recent events:

I had a major ATV accident back in May. Of course I wasn't wearing a helmet and sustained a severe brain injury. I was life-flighted and underwent emergency brain surgery. In all I suffered 6 broken bones in my face, cracked both sides of my skull, suffered a hematoma on one side and a severed artery on the other. The good news is after 3 weeks in a coma, I was able to regain strength in a record pace and was released a couple of weeks later. Now 3 months later, I'm back to work. The big downside is between my injuries and work, I won't have much time for reefing for a long while. In fact, you'd probably cry if you saw its condition (completely empty). I plan to keep the tank and equipment handy so when the time is right, I'll be back!

Ciao!

OMG Jeff. I am so glad to see you back and also glad you made such an amazing recovery. When you get to putting up that big tank, lmk if you need anything. Take care!!
Rita

Verry Sorry to hear Jeff.
Glad you recovered so fast. having seen your tank in person I can't even imagine it completely empty. I would at least fill it with water and have it run to stay cycled, will be much faster for you when you want to restart it.
Might have a trip to Cleveland in the coming months so will contact you for sure.
Take Care.

Wow man, life is crazy. I am glad that you are better now! I havent been on here in a few years but I still get emails from the subbed forums, had to log back on to wish you the best!
-Chris

I always wondered what was up with this system, I was actually thinking about your PH problem and the incoming air the other day! Glad you are recovering well, and congrats on the new job! Hope to see your systems thriving again someday!

Glad you are better, Jeff. I have no doubt that the system will be back, better than ever, when the time is right!

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. This accident has taught me that there is definitely no guarantee of tomorrow. Still struggling to get back to 100% and barely have enough energy/desire to keep after a little 30g cube so it'll be while until I undertake the big 'un. However, I am going to go down there and scrub all the equipment and make sure its ready to run when I get back in that mode. I'm hoping over the winter, I'll get bit by the bug. In the meantime, its kinda nice not worry about maintaining it. When I do build it up, I'm hoping it'll be better . I'll definitely spend more time to prevent pests or nuisance corals, etc...

Again, thanks again....and remember to wear a helmet ;)

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. This accident has taught me that there is definitely no guarantee of tomorrow. Still struggling to get back to 100% and barely have enough energy/desire to keep after a little 30g cube so it'll be while until I undertake the big 'un. However, I am going to go down there and scrub all the equipment and make sure its ready to run when I get back in that mode. I'm hoping over the winter, I'll get bit by the bug. In the meantime, its kinda nice not worry about maintaining it. When I do build it up, I'm hoping it'll be better . I'll definitely spend more time to prevent pests or nuisance corals, etc...

Again, thanks again....and remember to wear a helmet ;)

Jeff,

Hope you are doing ok. ATVs are something that you need to be careful with. A friend of my daughters suffered a similar accident. Was in a coma for a couple of weeks missed about half of her sophomore year. Did not play soccer for over a year. Definitely a serious thing. If you need help moving anything (even if it is not your tank) let me know. We are on north edge of Chardon but it is no problem.

Thanks man. I really like the Marineland tanks. This will be my third. IMO, the only drawback on their larger tanks are the overflows which really aren't designed to handle the turnover I would like on a tank this size. So I modded them:

DSCF7979.jpg

DSCF7981.jpg

Cayenne, you are correct, I am using all 4 predrilled holes as drains with the returns coming over the side into 1" Sea Swirls. I've decided to use the "Herbie method" which can handle considerably more flow than the standard durso. The larger pipes are for emergency backup.

Where did you get the plastic fence material for your overflow?

DSCF7985.jpg

Thanks man. I really like the Marineland tanks. This will be my third. IMO, the only drawback on their larger tanks are the overflows which really aren't designed to handle the turnover I would like on a tank this size. So I modded them:

DSCF7979.jpg

DSCF7981.jpg

Cayenne, you are correct, I am using all 4 predrilled holes as drains with the returns coming over the side into 1" Sea Swirls. I've decided to use the "Herbie method" which can handle considerably more flow than the standard durso. The larger pipes are for emergency backup.

DSCF7985.jpg

Could you tell me where you got the plastic screen for your overflows? Thanks

Back