Should i change my water even though i have diatoms???

The reason people don`t do water changes when setting up a new tank and battling diatoms, is the fact that once the silicates and whatever from a full batch of new ASW are used up the bloom stops. doing a water change will just raise these elements again- especially if you are not using RO/DI water for your mix. Once the diatoms crash, a normal waterchange will not cause them to return. However if the tank is suffering in other ways- I would always do a water change- just don`t expect it to do anything about the diatom issue.

Siphon it off. Blowing it off just moves it around to places you can't get to. Use the siphoning off as your water change and just flush it away. Blowing it off is easier but it is less effective. If you don't like the brown, just wait for the red! It is nasty. Same method of removal, siphon it off. Just be patient though. In time it will pass.

well i went ahead and blew it off the rocks and siphoned as much as i can get... but there still there.. and all over the place... it got a lot better but the tank still looks dirty... oh well, i guess i'll just let it be and continue changing the water as usual, and hope for it to go away, i also want to get myself a TDS test kit to check out the ro water from my lfs until i can get my own ro/di unit

Glad to hear you did the WC. You are on the right track keep up with water changes and blowing and sucking, and it will be gone before you know it. I know it looks horrible, but it is a natural occurance.

TDS meter is a good idea, and getting your own RO/DI unit is an even better idea. I have a feeling you will be surprised at your LFS readings.

i kinda have a feeling that it is going to be because of my lfs ro water.. i added a small protein skimmer.. its a cheap one not the best one but its working.. i have it in my sump and its been on for a day and i already see the foam up top all nasty and brown so thats a good thing? i was thinking also to get myself a turbo snail just one.. do you think he will take care of the tank and help me out on that? once he is done i guess i'll take him back to my lfs so he wont die in my tank.. is that a good idea?

That sounds like a real good idea. And I commend you on being responsable and thinking of the animal in the long run and already talking about taking it back when he is done. Turbo do a really good job on lots of kinds of algae but on new tanks they will not last long. You can get a couple of crabs and maybe some asterinas too so you can start to see some life in the tank.

Keep up the great work!

as of right now i have 1 scarlet hermit (which i see once in a blue moon) i had bought 10 blue legged hermits ( but i only see a few at a time) i have my 2 clowns, 1 arrow crab, i cleaner shrimp, and my condy anemone.. im thinking of taking out my arrow crab because i think he killed my diamond goby that i bought yesterday, but other than that what other crabs should i consider? i was thinking about getting a emerald crab.. are they worth it?

Oh well cool you already have inhabitants, I thought the tank was empty. Emeralds are sometimes good with bubble algae, but can be hit or miss too sometimes. They are cool though, I have a few, wouldnt hurt to have one.

Back